Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking old  (Read 2370 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Looking old
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 12:57:42 PM »

Tnx.  73 is young these days. 

I wasn't awake earlier enough today to notice how I might look  ::).  It's the chin hairs that R my biggest chore each day ;-).

CLKD

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 08:41:51 PM »

:rofl:

lisa06031510

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 05:36:15 PM »

I'm just going to embrace it... I'm not as young as I was when menopause started... Maybe I need to stop blaming everything on menopause lol and just accept I am getting older and appreciate that I am lucky to get older

Oh god.. is hair a thing... I think that's the only symptom I haven't had lol

Peana

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2022, 03:53:21 PM »

Sorry to hear about your cousin CKLD, I hope you're coping okay.  thinking of you.

I totally get the 10 years older thing (in physical health too, as well as looks)! Although when I look in the mirror now I see my dad! That's really frightening!!  And I never thought I'd be cross about losing weight, but it does seem to age me.

suzysunday

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2022, 08:37:04 PM »

I hate everything about getting/looking older.   When I am at the hairdressers I can't bear my reflection in the mirror when my hair is wet etc.   I find it so hard to cope with and feel shallow and vain for feeling that way.

Amazing grace

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2022, 09:55:44 PM »

Hi suzysunday, I really feel your pain, you are not vain or shallow for feeling this way, I too struggle with this, it may seem like it's nothing compared to other issues to some people but getting old loosing our beauty and youth is just as detrimental to our mental health as other problems, especially when some of us age before our time but you know how we see ourselves is not what others always see, you are probably being too hard on yourself, but it is genuinely hard to deal with, don't have an answer to how we get over this, I guess in time acceptance does come, but you aren't alone I feel the same way and I absolutely hate it x

Alice

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2022, 07:44:51 AM »

I agree, it's hard to come to terms with. I decided that as I was turning into an old crone I might as well embrace it and not age gracefully. I've let my hair grow long and wild- on my head and armpits!
Last time I went to the hairdresser's she blow dried my hair, because I'd said I was worried about it being thinner - it really made me look middle aged! I much prefer looking like a wild old hippie woman.
I'm trying to focus on what my body can still do, I'm lucky that I can still stay active. I've recently restarted weight training and it's satisfying to see my muscles growing and feeling strong.
I've always steered clear of women's magazines, I think I realised in my 20s that the aspirational stuff can be quite undermining.
Another thing that really helps is spending time with people much older than yourself, going for a walk with my uncle and listening to him complain about his weak knees and aching legs makes me feel positively youthful!

Lanie66

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2022, 08:25:04 AM »

Hi, sorry, late to the thread. 

That made me feel sad for you CKLD, knowing you had so much more to talk to your cousin about.  Sorry for your loss.

I'm 56 and had a sudden 'oh my god' moment in August about getting old.  Along with some other issues I developed severe anxiety / depression and am now on Sertraline. I'm feeling much better mentally now but have found face yoga recently on Mr Google.  I'm going to give that a try, if it's good for the body surely it'll be good for the  face muscles.  Just a thought.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2022, 09:59:41 AM »

Tnx Lainie.  Do we have more muscles in the face than anywhere else on the body?  It's very often oestrogen loss that's too blame as it's the bodies elastic. 

Sitting in the sunshine can age the skin really fast, as it dries and discolours it.  Both Grans had very soft skin ........ 1 used Ponds face cream every morning to protect from the elements, not much in the way of sun screen in the 1960s.  We accepted their changes, i.e. chicken neck and bat wings, as being alive, having lived well and it didn't seem to stop them being a comfort to us. 

Lanie66

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2022, 10:43:06 AM »

There are many muscles in the face, I think exercising them more deliberately will help tone and tighten.  Worth a try for 10 mins a day, I'm going to give it a go, can feel jowls developing  ;D

suzysunday

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2022, 12:45:30 PM »

Oh no I REALLY hate my neck!

Alice

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2022, 01:04:48 PM »

We accepted their changes, i.e. chicken neck and bat wings, as being alive, having lived well and it didn't seem to stop them being a comfort to us.
So true! I used to love stroking my Grans face when I was little. It felt so, so soft and velvety!

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2022, 01:14:49 PM »

Both Grans died in their mid 80s, with soft skin. 

Jayjem

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2022, 06:48:16 PM »

I have looked older in the last few months. My hair is going grey and I have got neck wrinkles. I also have under chin hair which really bothers me as if I leave it it looks like I am growing a beard. The hair going grey is ok at the moment but it is when I see people having fun and I am just not feeling it that gets to me. I just want to go home and go to bed which I guess comes with age. My skin has also lost its elasticity recently and I have always had soft skin. Ah well not a lot I can do. I dont wear make up often but when I do I feel younger again.
Pages: 1 [2]