Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Offered the merina coil  (Read 860 times)

Michele

Offered the merina coil
« on: November 07, 2022, 12:52:18 AM »

Hello ladies, I’m 52 post menopausal and suffer heavy bleeding. After scans I was found to have a 5cm ovarian cyst and 11mm endometrial lining, at the time I was on Everil Conti. I was told by my Gynae and gp to stop the hrt and try the mini pill to stop the bleeding and ease my mood swings. However the bleeding continued so was advised to come off the mini pill as well.
At this point completely cold turkey apart from my antidepressants which I’ve taken for years.
I’ve just had my follow up scans my 5cm cyst has gone and my lining is down to 4.1 but now I have a cyst on the other ovary and that’s without the hrt.
Spoke with gp on Friday and she is suggesting that I have a merina coil fitted and then either gel or a patch to balance my hormones.
I’m not a great fan of this idea for personal reasons, but I’m still bleeding quite heavy and need it to stop and it’s having a massive knock on affect with my mental health.
I’m also getting some left side groin pain and sharpe pain down below on and off every day.
If I’m honest I’d sign up for a hysterectomy right now and let them remove everything.
I’d be grateful for some advice please, to be like this on and off now for 4 years is getting to me so much now, I can’t begin to tell you how bad I feel. Thank you ladies I’m relying on you for help…desperate measures are needed to keep me sane. Xxx

Alice

Re: Offered the merina coil
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 07:15:22 AM »

Hi Michele,
I'm on my second mirena. I find it really painful to have inserted, but the pain lasts for seconds. Not everyone finds it painful, but I think it's best to be prepared.
Then, after the first one I had a couple of months of spotting. After that my heavy painful periods completely stopped.
I've had no side effects and it's great knowing I can use oestrogen with my uterus well protected.
It's not without risks but would be a much less dramatic and risky option than having a hysterectomy. So I'd say give it a go, you can always have it removed later if you change your mind.

Tinkerbell

Re: Offered the merina coil
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 12:08:04 PM »

I had my second mirena in June, i use it for the progesterone part of HRT as couldn't get on with utrogestan.

Obviously rather be somewhere else but i have not found it painfull. Poor GP got rather hot and red faced removing my last one as strings had disappeared, even that experience was not bad and i would have another.

The first couple of weeks i felt a bit tearful but no side effects since. Just wasn't a good time as teen dd had her period at same time, husband came back from shop with chocolate to cheer us up!