Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: I am new to this - Synthetic progesterone concerns  (Read 1023 times)

Merisorrr

• First Flush
I am new to this - Synthetic progesterone concerns
« on: November 05, 2022, 01:11:08 PM »

Hi,

I have just been prescribed sequential HRT for the first time - Evorel Sequi and Conti patches, as I still have periods. The GP said they are the most convenient option. I have noticed however that Conti patches contain sythetic progesterone - Norethisterone - I am am really concerned about the bad press for progestins. Is there an equivalent sequential patch that contains natural progesterone available on the NHS or otherwise, or do I need to ask for Utrogestran capsules?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am new to this and suspect I do not tolerate progestins, as both oral contraceptives and the mirena coil made me feel unwell.

Flossieteacake

Re: I am new to this - Synthetic progesterone concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 02:04:59 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. If it were me, I would try the lowest oestrogen patch (25) just to see how you find it. Once you know if that is going okay you can then try to find a progesterone you can tolerate. The reason I say this is you said you may be progesterone intolerant. Taking the oestrogen separately will allow you to experiment more with progesterone options.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 02:29:17 PM »

Hi there is another patch called Femseven Sequi but it still contains a synthetic progesterone although it’s a gentler progesterone compared to norethisterone.

Your only other option is Utrogestan capsules x

Stella2

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 04:53:07 PM »

Yes, unfortunately there are no combined patches with body identical progesterone, the best combination is estrogen patch an Utrogestan separately

Merisorrr

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 09:02:04 PM »

Thank you all, this is really helpful