Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Symptoms reappearing 5 years post - can that happen?  (Read 3605 times)

Queeniebee

• First Flush
Re: Symptoms reappearing 5 years post - can that happen?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 01:34:49 PM »

Yes, absolutely.  I'm 11 years post menopause and 2 years ago, started with hot flushes and really low mood.  Never connected it to menopause.  Thought i was well past that but i was seen by an endocrinologist who ran lots of tests, and I mean lots of tests!, and then confirmed that in her opinion the remaining circulating estrogen that we all have after menopause had taken a 'catastrophic drop' thus producing menopausal symptoms again.  Apparently she assured me this does happen to some women.  I sailed through my 'first' menopause with little more than a mood swing that id been happily taking a very small dose of antidepressant for 10 years for what they have classed 'menopausal mood' rather than depression, but  this one has floored me. My GP told me she has found that if a patient had an easy menopause first time around then it can bite back again years later!  No idea how true that is.   Early morning anxiety, adrenaline rushes, palpitations, sleeplessness, cold chills when I stand up, a feeling that one of Harry Potter's Dementors has moved in to my head and is running the show!!  My mood is so up and down and this from someone who has never suffered with depression or anxiety in my life.  Don't feel like 'me' at all.  No joy whatsoever.  Started on HRT a year ago at the age of 62 but I was willing to try anything.  So far HRT hasn't cracked the 'sweet spot' as my endocrinologist likes to call it and I remain 'flat' in mood. Anxiety comes and goes but is better.  I see her again next week and have just this morning been for my estradiol bloods prior to my appointment with her so we shall see what she has up her sleeve next week. I think if we are going to continue with HRT, Im well overdue a 'tweek'.   Testosterone has been mentioned too but only when she can see my estrogen is up to an acceptable level.  It's a whole new world I had no idea existed!!

sheila99

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 03:14:24 PM »

... a feeling that one of Harry Potter's Dementors has moved in to my head and is running the show!! 
I love this description, that's exactly how I felt in peri

Kathleen

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 05:48:11 PM »

Hello Queeniebee and welcome to the forum.

I think your Meno woes will resonate with many ladies here!

I am not sure about 'first' menopause but I  had very few problems in peri but one hell of a time since with post meno.

I am impressed that you have an endocrinologist plus a knowledgeable GP and I look forward to hearing how you get on at your appointment.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

discogirl

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2022, 06:43:43 PM »

Hello Queeniebee and welcome to the forum.

I think your Meno woes will resonate with many ladies here!

I am not sure about 'first' menopause but I  had very few problems in peri but one hell of a time since with post meno.

I am impressed that you have an endocrinologist plus a knowledgeable GP and I look forward to hearing how you get on at your appointment.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

hi queeniebee

im exactly the same.

im 4 yrs  post meno hardly any symptoms in peri. however in february of this year my hormones fell off a cliff and boy did i know about it.

it seems as though your getting good care though xxx

KarineT

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2022, 09:06:51 PM »

Hi Queenibee,

Well, I am gobsmacked by your post.

How much a big drop can the oestrogen cause when it's already very low in the first place?  If that's the case, it cannot possibly be caused  by the ovaries, as I believe they shrink in size and stop producing oestrogen altogerher. One would expect that there would be no more hormonal decline but stabilisaton at a very low level.   The 'second' huge drop in oestrogen must be from the adrenal glands & fat cells then.

As for mood issues such as anxiety & low mood I always suffered from these during my reproductive years so for me it's not a new thing.

Now if symptoms don't disappear after a while, or if they make a reappearance after so many years postmeno then we are all condemned to live the rest of our lives miserably.  I hope that it won't get worse for me 5 years down the line, but I suppose it's the luck of the draw.

Karine

discogirl

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2022, 07:40:35 AM »

Hi Queenibee,

Well, I am gobsmacked by your post.

How much a big drop can the oestrogen cause when it's already very low in the first place?  If that's the case, it cannot possibly be caused  by the ovaries, as I believe they shrink in size and stop producing oestrogen altogerher. One would expect that there would be no more hormonal decline but stabilisaton at a very low level.   The 'second' huge drop in oestrogen must be from the adrenal glands & fat cells then.

As for mood issues such as anxiety & low mood I always suffered from these during my reproductive years so for me it's not a new thing.

Now if symptoms don't disappear after a while, or if they make a reappearance after so many years postmeno then we are all condemned to live the rest of our lives miserably.  I hope that it won't get worse for me 5 years down the line, but I suppose it's the luck of the draw.

Karine

hi karineT

sorry to cut in on your post but your spot on.

the second huge drop in estrogen for me was from estrogen from my adrenal glands and fat cells xx

Rustysmum

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2022, 09:53:10 AM »

Just a quick update. Thankfully everything seems to have settled down a lot. My blood tests came back as all normal apart from Cholesterol so thyroid is fine in their opinion. ECG showed frequent PVCs which is what I was getting during peri so they have referred me for a 48 hr Holter monitor. But as things have improved a lot  I don’t feel that is really necessary now. With the NHS under pressure they really don’t need me clogging the system! So am putting it down to a nasty blip in hormones, it sounds from your posts above that it is not that unusual and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen again. Thank you all so much for your words of reassurance and sympathy. It really helped me during a difficult time. I would say that I was very disappointed in my GP who didn’t offer anything to help me cope with the symptoms at all. Without a wonderful partner helping me through I dread to think what state I would be in.

discogirl

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2022, 10:17:25 AM »

Just a quick update. Thankfully everything seems to have settled down a lot. My blood tests came back as all normal apart from Cholesterol so thyroid is fine in their opinion. ECG showed frequent PVCs which is what I was getting during peri so they have referred me for a 48 hr Holter monitor. But as things have improved a lot  I don’t feel that is really necessary now. With the NHS under pressure they really don’t need me clogging the system! So am putting it down to a nasty blip in hormones, it sounds from your posts above that it is not that unusual and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen again. Thank you all so much for your words of reassurance and sympathy. It really helped me during a difficult time. I would say that I was very disappointed in my GP who didn’t offer anything to help me cope with the symptoms at all. Without a wonderful partner helping me through I dread to think what state I would be in.

Glad you're feeling better Rustysmum.

My partner too has been incredible and has helped me through some very, very dark days this year.

Take care xx

Rustysmum

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2022, 07:18:26 PM »

Glad you're feeling better Rustysmum.

My partner too has been incredible and has helped me through some very, very dark days this year.

Take care xx
Thank you disco girl!

Kathleen

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2022, 01:20:17 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Rustysmum - Thank you for the update and  I am pleased that you are feeling better. It does appear that you have experienced a bit of a blip.

Take care.

K.
Pages: 1 [2]