Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen Level on HRT  (Read 708 times)

Cassie

Oestrogen Level on HRT
« on: November 03, 2022, 01:52:43 PM »

Has anyone had their Oestrogen levels checked whilst on HRT? Any idea if there is an ideal level that one should aim for or does it go more by the symptoms  :-\
I am on a really low does of 1 pump per day of gel. I requested a test privately, result the Dr said, is normal, but not sure he is too clued up on these sort of things. (178pmol/L)
I have been on 1 pump for years and don't  have any symptoms of note. Google says this sound about right but am sure there are experts on this lovely site that perhaps know better? ;D

Epona52

Re: Oestrogen Level on HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 08:40:17 PM »

Hi cassie,
I think that it goes more by symptoms, I was told that my levels of 189 were fine and I'm on hrt oestrogen gel and a pea sized blob of tostran gel daily, if you feel fine on one pump then go with that, I think as we age it's about bone protection but also keeping our symptoms in check and you sound as though your doing really well
 :)

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 09:34:11 PM »

Thank you

Nik2502

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 07:44:44 AM »

Hi

My doctor at Newson Health recommends levels of approximately 350 for full therapeutic effect.

Nik xx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 08:36:44 AM »

Hi Cassie

Mine were first tested years ago - can't remember why. I was on HRT and post-meno. I think they were about 200 pmol/l. I had no symptoms. Some years later they were tested again (this is all on NHS btw) and the day was patch change day ie 3.5 days after applying patch - and they were something like 90 pmol/l. They were redone just after patch change and they were just under 200 pmol/l. I have a different patch now and change every 3 days. I am late 60's and recently had a health check and have not lost height and I am pretty sure this is sufficient for my bones.

I did read some years ago that the aim for oestrogen levels on HRT was to average oestrogen levels over the month that an (average) fertile woman might experience and that was around 300-350 pmol/l I think. As far as I know there is no absolute for therapeutic effect that is evidence based - though I'm not up to date with studies - as we are all different though there is a minimum for bone protection - but the level this should be is not definitive, as I understand (even though a level is often cited).

Also that the younger you are then better to try to achieve the higher level - for bone protection and other benefits - but I have no idea what stage it would be sensible to reduce it.

I'm also talking about women with wombs - for those who've had a hysterectomy then experimenting with slightly higher levels is easier - so you can avoid the dreaded prog and the bleed dilemma!

I would say as per Epona - that if you have no symptoms and you have a level approx 200 pmol/l - then carry on! That's what I do...

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 07:33:15 PM »

Cassie, I have my oestrogen and progesterone levels checked to see how well I'm absorbing each product.

I was told to aim for between 80-100 pg/mL which is roughly 300-350 pmol.  This is thought to be the amount needed to protect bones and keep symptoms away but obviously it's not an exact science and some women need more (for reproductive depression for instance) and some can only tolerate very low doses.

I think is worth checking hormone levels when post menopause because it's the only way of finding out how well you are absorbing your HRT.