Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Issue at doctors  (Read 1901 times)

KaraShannon

Issue at doctors
« on: November 02, 2022, 10:57:14 PM »

Hi all

I STILL haven't been able to see a doctor concerning me being on a high level of estradiol on evorel sequi.

Some of you may know this has gone on for months.  I missed a couple of appointments, fair enough, i'm not here to say who's right and who's wrong.  One, I wasn't well enough to get to the surgery.  The second, an old man fell in the middle of a main road and I stopped my car and sat with him until the ambulance came because he wasn't sure why he fell and felt quite ill (he was fine in the end but I missed my appointment as I was out of town).

Anyway, that's all digression.

Last week I was due a telephone appointment.  The doctor never called.  I went in on monday and asked reception what happened and was told I should never have been given that appointment as it wasn't available.  I had waited 3 weeks for it. 

Yesterday I went back to say I had written the doctor a letter, perhaps, in view of the fact that I've now waited another 3 weeks, someone could ask a doctor to read the letter (which is on my notes) and call me.

The receptionist then pulled up my notes and proceeded to read the letter while I stood there waiting.  It wasn't for her.  This was a private letter between me and a doctor.  She then said a doctor will most likely want to see me and it's best I wait for another appointment. 

I need to talk to a doctor about a couple of things and one of those things the doctor will understand if only I could get to talk to one.  Meanwhile I've had 2 different receptionists read my letter that was for a doctor.  The first one who took it opened it in front of me and started reading it, then said she'd scan it and put it in my notes and I was to come back and try and get an appointment when appointments were next available. 

I am not having a go at receptionists, that's not the intention, just expressing how uncomfortable this is.  It's not usually legal to open or read mail addressed to someone else but most likely different with a receptionist, but my letter was addressed to my doctor.  three weeks later no doctor has seen it, my appointment was null and void and I'm back to waiting on another one.  One of the issues needs an immediate response now, the hrt one can wait.   

Another thing bothering me is the electronic consult gives you the impression you are 'asking a doctor,' but when you submit it, reception calls and gives their opinion on what you should do (not see a doctor).  It's a bit misleading if you think your communication is going to a doctor.

I don't mind being told how things are running etc, but I don't like things being misleading.  On Monday a very reasonable lady was becoming really distressed at the reception desk.  All she wanted was an appointment and she was told to come back when appointments become available.  She said she'd been doing that and there are never any and why can she not book one now.

Just wondering on other's thoughts about my letter being opened, and read twice by 2 different receptionists.  I don't remember when every issue we had was reception's business.  It was never like that before.  :(

Flossieteacake

Re: Issue at doctors
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 10:19:32 AM »

I think your GP practice sounds appalling! For the receptionists to both read your private letter is very intrusive. What is puzzling me is, when you write an econsult I cannot understand why receptionist will phone you. That has never happened to me before. They are not doctors and your consult needs to be responded to my a DR. I do not suppose there is an option to change to another practice? I understand how difficult that may be.

I would feel just the way you are. It is hard enough to seek support and when we are ignored people are likely to just retreat into themselves and not try again.

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 12:49:05 PM »

Hi Kara

What appalling behaviour.
You could make an official complaint to the practice manager and in future write ‘private and confidential’ on the envelope, which might help.

Mx

getting_old

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 04:26:47 PM »

I could possibly understand receptionists opening letters to put them into the doctors files, but they shouldn't read them! I would try the "private & confidential" on a letter and take it in, and see if they still open it. If they do I'd complain to the practice manager.

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 04:51:35 PM »

Thanks Flossieteacake, Marchlove and Getting_Old 

I don't like to be critical but it felt really intrusive.  I've also checked the econsult website and it's also misleading, giving the impression you are communicating with a doctor.

I went there today and a third receptionist opened up my notes online and proceeded to read the letter.  I explained the letter was for the doctor and private and so far in a month, no doctor has seen it but 3 receptionists have read it.  I was gentle about it as I didn't get the feeling that she was doing it to be nosy or anything, but it still feels wrong. 

She insisted that there are no appointments at the moment.  I went back in later to see if there were any cancellations and got given an appointment for next week.  I don't want to mess the system about at all, I know they are under a lot of pressure currently, but when it gets to the point where they are making mistakes (giving me an appointment and me having to wait 3 weeks for it, when that appointment was never going to happen) it's not acceptable.  There's a culture at the moment of not complaining about things.  Probably because there are some nasty people out there.  I'm not one of those though, I just feel it's time for reasonable people to speak up about the service we are getting. 

I was also stood at the desk in reception for 30 mins while she went through my notes, with elderly people standing behind me waiting.  She then came to the same conclusions as I'd already told her in the first 3 minutes.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 05:33:19 PM »

Thanks Flossieteacake, Marchlove and Getting_Old 

I don't like to be critical but it felt really intrusive.  I've also checked the econsult website and it's also misleading, giving the impression you are communicating with a doctor.

I went there today and a third receptionist opened up my notes online and proceeded to read the letter.  I explained the letter was for the doctor and private and so far in a month, no doctor has seen it but 3 receptionists have read it.  I was gentle about it as I didn't get the feeling that she was doing it to be nosy or anything, but it still feels wrong. 

She insisted that there are no appointments at the moment.  I went back in later to see if there were any cancellations and got given an appointment for next week.  I don't want to mess the system about at all, I know they are under a lot of pressure currently, but when it gets to the point where they are making mistakes (giving me an appointment and me having to wait 3 weeks for it, when that appointment was never going to happen) it's not acceptable.  There's a culture at the moment of not complaining about things.  Probably because there are some nasty people out there.  I'm not one of those though, I just feel it's time for reasonable people to speak up about the service we are getting. 

I was also stood at the desk in reception for 30 mins while she went through my notes, with elderly people standing behind me waiting.  She then came to the same conclusions as I'd already told her in the first 3 minutes.

I do not think talking about how this made you feel is critical at all. I would have been just as upset if this happened to me.

I do not understand how the econsult works in your practice because it should be sent to a DR and not for reception to call you and discuss.

I feel you are putting yourself down. You are a patient and deserve respect, privacy and to be treated with politeness. You have not done anything wrong at all.

getting_old

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 05:36:46 PM »

I was wondering with econsult if it was a nurse doing a sort of triage and reviewing the initial information, but that may be too sensible  :-\

I think maybe a conversation with the practice manager to understand their processes, and to explain your concerns. It doesn't have to be confrontational, and you could ask them how they think letters etc. should be handled to see if that's in line with your experience.

Our receptionists ask what's wrong with you and why you want an appointment which I find quite intrusive, but then with my surgeon I actually told the receptionist when I had a major concern and she managed to get the surgeon to fit me in at very short notice so it can be helfpul.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 10:52:54 PM »

Hi all

I STILL haven't been able to see a doctor concerning me being on a high level of estradiol on evorel sequi.

Some of you may know this has gone on for months.  I missed a couple of appointments, fair enough, i'm not here to say who's right and who's wrong.  One, I wasn't well enough to get to the surgery.  The second, an old man fell in the middle of a main road and I stopped my car and sat with him until the ambulance came because he wasn't sure why he fell and felt quite ill (he was fine in the end but I missed my appointment as I was out of town).

Last week I was due a telephone appointment.  The doctor never called.  I went in on monday and asked reception what happened and was told I should never have been given that appointment as it wasn't available.  I had waited 3 weeks for it. 

Yesterday I went back to say I had written the doctor a letter, perhaps, in view of the fact that I've now waited another 3 weeks, someone could ask a doctor to read the letter (which is on my notes) and call me.

The receptionist then pulled up my notes and proceeded to read the letter while I stood there waiting.  It wasn't for her.  This was a private letter between me and a doctor.  She then said a doctor will most likely want to see me and it's best I wait for another appointment. 

I need to talk to a doctor about a couple of things and one of those things the doctor will understand if only I could get to talk to one.  Meanwhile I've had 2 different receptionists read my letter that was for a doctor.  The first one who took it opened it in front of me and started reading it, then said she'd scan it and put it in my notes and I was to come back and try and get an appointment when appointments were next available. 

I am not having a go at receptionists, that's not the intention, just expressing how uncomfortable this is.  It's not usually legal to open or read mail addressed to someone else but most likely different with a receptionist, but my letter was addressed to my doctor.  three weeks later no doctor has seen it, my appointment was null and void and I'm back to waiting on another one.  One of the issues needs an immediate response now, the hrt one can wait.   

Another thing bothering me is the electronic consult gives you the impression you are 'asking a doctor,' but when you submit it, reception calls and gives their opinion on what you should do (not see a doctor).  It's a bit misleading if you think your communication is going to a doctor.

I don't mind being told how things are running etc, but I don't like things being misleading.  On Monday a very reasonable lady was becoming really distressed at the reception desk.  All she wanted was an appointment and she was told to come back when appointments become available.  She said she'd been doing that and there are never any and why can she not book one now.

Just wondering on other's thoughts about my letter being opened, and read twice by 2 different receptionists.  I don't remember when every issue we had was reception's business.  It was never like that before.  :(
Very recently I delivered a letter to my practice which was marked as private and was addressed to 2 GP'S in the practice. I got no response to it and have since made a complaint to the practice manager. I suspect that reception didn't pass it on and may have opened it, read it and just added it to my records.

KaraShannon

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 12:22:36 AM »

Hi all

Very recently I delivered a letter to my practice which was marked as private and was addressed to 2 GP'S in the practice. I got no response to it and have since made a complaint to the practice manager. I suspect that reception didn't pass it on and may have opened it, read it and just added it to my records.

Sorry to hear that.  If that's a new policy it shouldn't be being brought in through the back door.  They need to be open about it.