Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Persistent diarrhea  (Read 7271 times)

Lanie66

Re: Persistent diarrhea
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 01:40:32 PM »

Thankyou for your kind words Flossieteacake.  Fingers crossed its all ok

Lx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 01:50:04 PM »

Please keep us updated.

Lanie66

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2022, 07:00:53 PM »

With the funeral and everything approaching I was purely managing the diarrhoea not even considering trying to do something about it mainly because the GP didnt suggest a treatment.  I was worried how I'd cope, but I did.  However it got really bad on Wednesday night.

When the funeral was over and we were home again I decided to read up on diets for colitis and diverticulosis flare ups (I feel I have one of these).  As I said before the information was confusing and contradictory.  I've dug around and found out that during a bad flare up of these bowel disorders you should have a fibre free diet and once recovered introduce fibre back in.  I had no idea. None of the 3 doctors I have seen in the last 3 weeks have mentioned dietary changes to help and each told me not to take imodium.  They each knew how distressed I was about this so looking back I'm amazed at their lack of advice.

So on Thursday I began a diet free of caffeine, fodmaps, sugar and fibre.  I don't  know what my trigger is so thought I'd start from a blankish canvas.  God its boring. But it works.  4 days now.  The diarrhoea has stopped and I'm introducing small things back in daily, like, importantly, chocolate. 

I know gastric/intestinal upsets take a while to settle, I have a little bloating, discomfort and I'm a bit tired but so pleased to be free of the D!  3 weeks that lasted and visits ranged from 3 to 10 times a day.  I was so embarrassed having to tell my boss the reason I was requesting to wfh.

I've convinced myself that I've brought this on when I was really anxious and needed the sertraline, back in August.  I didn't look after myself, ate alot of comfort food and didn't exercise for about 6 weeks. In doing so I've effed up my digestion/bowels.  Its a lesson.

Just need to see how it goes now and wait for the colonoscopy appointment.

Thanks for listening

Lx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 07:14:33 PM »

Thank you for the update. It is sad you were not given any advice by your GP. I have found we have to do our own research now.

I am not sure if this has happened due to you not having your usual routine when you were feeling low so please do not blame yourself. My friend has collitis and it is a chronic condition which they take medication for.

It is so wonderful to hear you have found a way to reduce the D. I can imagine how boring the diet is. I hope you can slowly be able to eat the food you are missing. I too have given up caffeine due to VA.

Lanie66

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2022, 08:22:48 PM »

Keeping a food diary is the way forward I feel at the moment.

I didn't know caffeine could be a VA trigger.  At least you found that out for you.   I started using Estriol cream upon very early signs of VA and, touch wood, it hasn't worsened. 

Do you ever find yourself waiting for the next thing!  I've got enough at the moment, no more please!!!

Lx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2022, 09:13:06 PM »

Keeping a food diary is the way forward I feel at the moment.

I didn't know caffeine could be a VA trigger.  At least you found that out for you.   I started using Estriol cream upon very early signs of VA and, touch wood, it hasn't worsened. 

Do you ever find yourself waiting for the next thing!  I've got enough at the moment, no more please!!!

Lx

I read it stimulates the bladder and can make you need to go to the loo more which worsens things. I have also read caffeine makes hot flushes worse. I thought it is best to just avoid it.

Keeping a food diary is a very good idea especially as you have IBS.

I totally understand that. I am just waiting for something else to make me feel ill.
Pages: 1 [2]