Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post Menopause Bleeding  (Read 2924 times)

Geehome25

• First Flush
Post Menopause Bleeding
« on: October 31, 2022, 10:47:04 AM »

So having been menopausal for 6 years (61 years old) with no bleeding whatsoever 7 weeks ago I started getting a bit of pinky discharge happening for a few days then stop for a day and repeating.  This developed each time until although not a full period type bleed I now have a bleed.  This has become almost continuous with dull abdominal aching. A week or so ago I went to the PMB clinic at the local hospital.  Hysteroscopy performed and nothing abnormal seen and biopsy taken "as we are in there anyway".  I was told cause of bleeding could be HRT or high BMI.  I had been on oestrogen gel and progesterone tablet for about 7 or 8 months.  I stopped taking the HRT immediately as I really don't like what is going on which is making me feel quite depressed. 
I am still bleeding and feeling pain after stopping 8 days, is this likely to be my lot from now on?  I would be quite happy to have a hysterectomy but I guess the NHS would not consider this to be a good enough reason although I do have private medical insurance.
Any advice or information very gratefully received.

Dotty

Re: Post Menopause Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 12:13:12 PM »

Hi Welcome to the forum...how many pumps of gel were you using and what dose of Utrogetsan were you taking ?

Geehome25

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 12:47:52 PM »

2 pumps per day and 100mg per day.  Used to be on tablet combined then came off because reached 60 and they thought it unadvisable.  Then went back this year and said please can I have it back (mainly because in the meantime I had developed urge incontinence which I convinced myself would be sorted on HRT) and they said I could have the gel instead. Never any problem on the tablets and no probs until now on the gel

Geehome25

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 12:52:08 PM »

Forgot to say thanks for the welcome Dotty  :)

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 02:11:07 PM »

Hi if the tablets suited you then there's no reason to stop them.  The advice on stopping hrt at 60 has changed. x

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 02:11:58 PM »

Hello Geehome25 and welcome to the forum

I am 66 and I have tried different HRT types over the years. I often experienced bleeding but it has always been due to changing HRT or simply using too much. It has always settled after a few weeks and my most recent investigations confirmed that all was well.

I am willing to bet that the bleeding will resolve soon now that you have stopped the gel. Many ladies here report changes in symptoms etc after several months on a regime so the timing is not unusual.

Perhaps  see your GP and then think about the best hormone treatment for the future.

Wishing you well.

K.

Geehome25

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 05:49:59 PM »

Thanks Dotty and Kathleen will have a chat with my GP, feeling more positive now  :)

Stella2

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 09:15:49 AM »

I am sorry Geehome25,  I hope you don't mind if I post here too to ask for advice?

I have been on HRT for ten months and couple of days ago started slightly bleeding. I contacted my GP and she said that she is not worried, that this sometimes happens and that i get in touch in 3 months if it doesn't stop. I am just not sure if this needs to be investigated further.
My GP was also surprised why I am on Estradot 75 ( I cut a bit off as i had sore breasts) and she actually prescribed it instead of 1mg Sandrena that I used to be on. I know they are very busy but every time i get in touch with her she seems to give different advice. When I queried sore breasts and asked for a blood test she said that this is not needed. But maybe already then i should have lowered my prescription.

I would be grateful for any comment or advice, is it OK to just wait and see? My health anxiety doesn't help in such situations...I will cut a bit more off my patch to hopefully get to 50 in few weeks.

Geehome25

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 05:52:55 PM »

My understanding is that any post menopausal bleeding should be investigated and should be fast tracked but I too had to push for this with my GP.  Good luck!

Stella2

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 06:46:05 PM »

Thank you!  :)