Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Rubbing Utrogestan into skin?  (Read 2195 times)

NeverTooOld

Rubbing Utrogestan into skin?
« on: October 18, 2022, 10:28:47 AM »

Hi, just wondering if anyone has tried using Utrogestan externally, by that I mean snipping the capsule and rubbing the creamy substance into upper forearm or inner thigh?

I started on my HRT journey nearly a year ago taking 1 Utrogestan every night continuously as I was post menopausal, together with 2 pumps of oestrogel in the morning. However after a few month my heartburn/GERD got really bad so after reading various posts on here I am now using Utrogestan vaginally at night every other day and splitting my Oestrogel morning and night.

My stomach symptoms have diminished slightly, which is good but have not gone altogether.

However I do find using Utrogestan vaginally causes leakage. I do use a towel but when it comes to being intimate with my husband, usually on a day i have not used Utrogestan it is, and I apologise now for painting a not too pleasant picture, messy, and there seems to be a lot of residue of the capsule 'up there' even after the following day of using it.

Which got me to wonder whether it was possible to rub the contents of the capsule on your skin instead and still get the full effect of the progesterone? I did try a tiny amount and it seems to rub in really easily. I can't help but think it is the actual capsule casing that is the messy bit which takes forever to break down.

Mary G

Re: Rubbing Utrogestan into skin?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 11:48:32 AM »

That is certainly a very interesting idea.  I would suggest you either put it on upper, inner thighs or inside forearm.  What dose are you using?   Be prepared to increase to 200mg if necessary (it is probably weaker transdermally) and it would be a good idea to have a transvaginal scan in a few months to gauge how it's working.

In a quest to save money, I'm currently trialling Darstin progesterone gel @ 50mg every day and so far so good.  I will not know if it's been successful until I have a uterine scan in December.  Alternatively, I might suddenly bleed which would suggest lining build up.

I'm always happy to try new products.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

PS I have posted this on both your threads.

NeverTooOld

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 12:53:39 PM »

Hi Mary G,

Thanks for your thoughts.  :)

At present I take 100mg Utrogestan vaginally every second day and it seems to work for me apart from the mess inconvenience.

In regards to what you say about maybe getting a transvaginal scan, excuse my ignorance but would that be for measuring uterine thickness? If it is and things all look good presumably it would be a case of continuing on with the least dose which alleviate symptoms?

In regards to lining build up, would that not only happen if you were taking too much progesterone in relation to oestrogel? I don't totally understand everything there is in regards to HRT, it's such a minefield.
My hope is to get to the stage of being able to take as small a dose as possible of progesterone/oestrogel that will alleviate all symptoms, or is that wrong? I have never fully understood the ratios of either.  :-\

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 07:25:17 PM »

A lot of women take 100mg Utrogestan every other day and find it works well but it's not always very practical as you have said.

You are right, the scan is to check womb lining measurement/build up plus check ovaries and overall uterine health.  If the ratio between oestrogen and progesterone is not balanced and you are not taking enough progesterone, the womb lining will build up. 

If you take progesterone every day (or 100mg every other day) this will usually mean abnormal bleeding if it turns out that you need more progesterone.  If you don't take progesterone at all (not advisable obviously) the womb lining will either build up to a dangerously high level or you will eventually bleed heavily.

It's impossible to know exactly his much progesterone each individual needs without having frequent scans.  If you tolerate progesterone well and you are happy with a fairly high dose then you don't have a problem with the standard dose.   But if that is not the case and you need to limit progesterone use due to severe intolerance, then you need to find the minimum dose that you personally can get away with via scans.

So there are no easy solutions I'm afraid but I agree that it's a good idea to try and find the minimum dose of both oestrogen and progesterone that works for you and keeps symptoms away.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 07:57:38 PM »

Hi nevertooold - best to keep to one thread otherwise things get confusing. I answered your other thread but in case you don't see it here is my response to your original question on the other thread;

"Hi nevertooold

Sorry to hear about your ongoing woes and I do understand about intimacy and utrogestan if this happens frequently. That is why many vaginal utrogestan users in an intimate relationship tend to use if cyclically.

Quote from: NeverTooOld on Today at 10:34:28 AM

Which got me to wonder whether it was possible to rub the contents of the capsule on your skin instead and still get the full effect of the progesterone?

Nice idea but absolutely not!! It is not designed to be absorbed in this way at all.  Each product is designed to be taken in the way it is prescribed and you will most certainly not get anywhere near enough progesterone - if any, by doing this. PLEASE DON'T! Nor anyone else who read this post!

Ideally also you would be using a higher dose than 1 on alternate nights as this is below the licensed dose - which is 100 mg every night - even though some research suggests that a reduced dose may be possible when taken vaginally. Initially it should be daily to see how you get on.

Depending whether you've had children and how many, you might try inserting the utrogestan earlier in the day eg in the morning. Or maybe after the intimate act .

Yes it (the utro excess) does leak out to some extent the next day and overnight, but wearing a panti-liner deals with this.

All the best and I hope you sort something out that works - but DO make sure you continue to protect your endometrium with the licensed dose of utrogestan, or if a reduced dose ( eg alternate nights or days) then under medical supervision with regular scans to check on endometrial thickness.

Hurdity x"

I was just about to sign off so haven't read in detail additional responses on this thread....but to reiterate - please DO NOT try to get the progesterone you need through squeezing out the contents onto your skin as you won't protect your uterus in any way.

And also in relation to your question here: "In regards to lining build up, would that not only happen if you were taking too much progesterone in relation to oestrogel? I don't totally understand everything there is in regards to HRT, it's such a minefield. " to clarify in case it is not yet clear, that it is excess OESTROGEN that causes the lining to build up and PROGESTERONE helps prevent this. Too much progesterone will exceptionally overthin the lining but this is unlikely to happen on the doses you are talking about especially since at the moment you are taking less than the licesned dose (ie alternate days)..

I hope this helps and do ask  again if there is anything else you need clarifying.

Hurdity x

NeverTooOld

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 01:08:33 PM »

Hi,

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my queries and questions.

I certainly was by no means advocating or planning on taking Utrogestan other than by the prescriped route. I was just interested to know if there had been any discussion on rubbing it in as another method of administration, thus avoid the problems with taking it vaginally. Obviously not so I will continue taking it they way I am for the forseeable.

Sorry for duplication of posts on both Postmenopause and All things Menopausal, it is difficult to know which subject menopause discussion would illicit more views and therefore more potential replies. x

« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 01:11:51 PM by NeverTooOld »

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 07:04:37 PM »

NeverTooOld, no problem at all, I thought your question was very interesting and good idea posting twice to get more coverage!

All menopause related topics and questions are very welcome on here as are new members.

Vive

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »

Essentially (assuming) it’s the gel inside the casing/shell is the Progestogen part we need, and as some women are already taking it vaginally anyway (where the casing is dissolving away to release the progesterone part) what if they were to pierce the capsule and just use a finger to rub the gel as deep as poss inside the vag? Just an idea. Although there’s the possibility of diminishing quantity with the introduction of the finger 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not trying to be irresponsible just wondering if anyone has ever tried it like this and had positive results as the initial question interested me.

Perinowpost

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 04:45:36 PM »

I tried cutting it in half once, but there’s such a small amount inside you couldn’t really do anything with it and it didn’t work x