Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estriol  (Read 1704 times)

Linda w

• First Flush
Estriol
« on: October 23, 2022, 04:12:44 PM »

I have recently been prescribed Estriol 0.1% cream for Vaginal Atrophy as I have tried various other non hormonal creams with a little success but things have got so bad I have had to turn to something stronger.  I realise that Estriol is not the same as standard HRT and only contains a small amount of estrogen but I am still nervous about trying it.  I have read somewhere that it may possibly cause hair loss and weight gain although these side effects are not that common.  Has anyone taking Estriol experienced side effects such as weight gain or hair loss or any others?

Flossieteacake

Re: Estriol
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 04:16:41 PM »

Hello Linda and welcome to the forum. Estirol cream is the mildest topical oestrogen cream. If you read the side effects of any medication (even paracetamol) you will find a whole heap of scary things. I think it is worth trying. VA needs treatment and without treatment you will be so sore. Most members on here use something for VA. I use Ovesten which is stronger and it has been wonderful without any side effects at all.

You may like to also get a vaginal moisturiser. They really help with the dryness. Estridol cream is inserted but you can mix a little with the vaginal moisturiser and apply it to the outer area. Yes and Sylk are nice and gentle.

Cara999

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 06:18:18 PM »

Hi Linda, I use Estriol cream and like you I was scared. I had it for over a fortnight before I used it and then I starred with a tiny bit and built it up. Now I wouldn't be without it and have also gone onto using Vagifem as well as the cream.

Give it a try xxx

Bindi

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 01:20:00 PM »

Hi
I also was like you and worried at first but 4 and a half months in i have found its the best thing to come out of 4yrs of doctors visits..id be lost without it know..the 2week load everyday i found was a bit to much for me if i had to do it again id do a week and a half everyday..then go down to the matinance dose ..i also find i need more during my old cycle times but i feel so much better for useing the ovestin..it did take at least 2months to settle but all gd now..gd luck hun

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 02:36:31 PM »

Hi Linda

Your worries about using estrogen cream will pale into insignificance when your VA becomes chronic.
I refused treatment at first, I was like you but when it got to the stage of being crippled by this nasty condition, all worries went away and after nearly a year of treatment I am so glad I took the treatment and I'm doing very well on it.

As VA progresses, as we age, you will find it impossible to live with, it’s such a safe treatment and the sooner you start it the better.
I haven’t noticed any side effects just so glad there is a treatment for it.

Linda w

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 08:34:11 PM »

Many thanks for all the helpful replies which makes me feel more reassured and I intend to start using the cream very soon.  I just wanted to ask one more question as I am a bit confused as the medicine box says Ovestin  1 mg and the printed sticker on the box  says Estriol 0.1 cream, so does this mean it is a milder form of Ovestin?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 08:46:14 PM »

Many thanks for all the helpful replies which makes me feel more reassured and I intend to start using the cream very soon.  I just wanted to ask one more question as I am a bit confused as the medicine box says Ovestin  1 mg and the printed sticker on the box  says Estriol 0.1 cream, so does this mean it is a milder form of Ovestin?

If it says Ovestin then its Ovestin which is the brand name.