Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Muscle tightness /siezes up  (Read 1930 times)

Cravenraven

Muscle tightness /siezes up
« on: October 29, 2022, 07:59:57 PM »

After suffering back pain and hip pain for almost 3 years now (and thinking all that time it was perimenopause causing joint pain) I have finally realised it is extreme muscle tension and not my joints!!!.   ???  :-\

I feel a bit silly thinking it was something else all along.

Whenever I exercise (which is almost daily) the muscles in my butt seize up and it's so painful during and also afterwards for ages.  No amount of stretching seems to relieve it.

I'm at my wit's end on how to solve it.

I've been on HRT for a month now, for this issue alone, and not seeing any changes yet. 

Anyone got experience of this?  Am I deficient in a vitamin or mineral? Will HRT help eventually ?

Taz2

Re: Muscle tightness /siezes up
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 08:39:20 PM »

This sounds like piriformis syndrome. I experienced this a couple of years ago and still have occasional physio sessions to keep it at bay. There's info here about various causes of butt pain. https://www.livestrong.com/article/420777-why-does-my-butt-hurt-after-i-exercise/

Sorry if you've already read up on it. Hopefully it will give you some indication of what to do to ease it. Don't feel silly at putting it down to something else. Easy to do   :)

Taz x

DottyD68

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 08:55:00 PM »

Hi Cravenraven,

I posted the following reply to a previous thread. Although it relates to thigh muscles, the muscle tension/spasm sometimes occurred in my buttocks too (I had forgotten about that).

"This was one of my first peri-menopausal symptoms 7-8 years ago although I didn't realise it at the time. They was no real pattern/frequency but occasionally it would start during exercise with a heavy, sore feeling in my thighs and if I didn't stop exercising it could develop into a really debilitating and sore cramp which would take several days to recover (like DOMS). At the time I was very fit and working as a personal trainer doing lots of running and cycling amongst other things. I had blood tests, saw physios, osteopaths, had acupuncture and noone could find anything obviously wrong. I put it down to overtraining and dehydration.

It rarely happens now but the last few times it did it was preceded/accompanied by a menopausal anxiety/panic attack - like my muscles had tensed up in response to an adrenaline rush. It was then that I wondered if it was linked to the Menopause. I then noticed during the covid years that at certain times of the month my thighs felt very achey and I couldn't even face going for a short walk let alone anything more vigorous. This in turn made me anxious and I lost confidence, as exercise has always been a big part of my life, so it felt like a vicious circle.

I had previously tried to manage all my peri-menopause symptoms with all sorts of natural supplements and remedies, yoga, stretching, physio and meditation but once I'd made the connection this symptom was the one that made me want to try HRT. I started HRT in August 2021 and it has really helped reduce my sore, achy thighs."

Hopefully you will notice some improvement if you give the HRT time to settle.

The other thing I use to relax muscles is magnesium supplements and Epsom salts in the bath.

Hope this helps
DottyD68

Cravenraven

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 08:16:21 AM »

This sounds like piriformis syndrome. I experienced this a couple of years ago and still have occasional physio sessions to keep it at bay. There's info here about various causes of butt pain. https://www.livestrong.com/article/420777-why-does-my-butt-hurt-after-i-exercise/

Sorry if you've already read up on it. Hopefully it will give you some indication of what to do to ease it. Don't feel silly at putting it down to something else. Easy to do   :)

Taz x

Hi Taz, thanks so much.  I had heard of it but discounted it because I had no sciatica or numbness in legs/ feet.  Did you have that.  I'm am seeing a chiropractor at moment,

Cravenraven

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 08:19:05 AM »

(Sorry that sent, too quickly !)

Anyway I'll mention it to the Chiropractor and see if he thinks that's a possible cause.  Thanks again for your advice, and I'll read that link too.  I have googled intensively, but there's nothing better than talking to talk people!!!!
Xxx

Cravenraven

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 08:33:59 AM »

Hi Cravenraven,

I posted the following reply to a previous thread. Although it relates to thigh muscles, the muscle tension/spasm sometimes occurred in my buttocks too (I had forgotten about that).

"This was one of my first peri-menopausal symptoms 7-8 years ago although I didn't realise it at the time. They was no real pattern/frequency but occasionally it would start during exercise with a heavy, sore feeling in my thighs and if I didn't stop exercising it could develop into a really debilitating and sore cramp which would take several days to recover (like DOMS). At the time I was very fit and working as a personal trainer doing lots of running and cycling amongst other things. I had blood tests, saw physios, osteopaths, had acupuncture and noone could find anything obviously wrong. I put it down to overtraining and dehydration.

It rarely happens now but the last few times it did it was preceded/accompanied by a menopausal anxiety/panic attack - like my muscles had tensed up in response to an adrenaline rush. It was then that I wondered if it was linked to the Menopause. I then noticed during the covid years that at certain times of the month my thighs felt very achey and I couldn't even face going for a short walk let alone anything more vigorous. This in turn made me anxious and I lost confidence, as exercise has always been a big part of my life, so it felt like a vicious circle.

I had previously tried to manage all my peri-menopause symptoms with all sorts of natural supplements and remedies, yoga, stretching, physio and meditation but once I'd made the connection this symptom was the one that made me want to try HRT. I started HRT in August 2021 and it has really helped reduce my sore, achy thighs."

Hopefully you will notice some improvement if you give the HRT time to settle.

The other thing I use to relax muscles is magnesium supplements and Epsom salts in the bath.

Hope this helps
DottyD68

Hi DottyD68, omg this is the first thing I've ever read that sounds the same as me!  I've had scans, blood tests, acupuncture, physio, chiro and it all seems to be an enigma to everyone.  To the point I've felt like I'm going mad AND I've felt that the anxiety caused by it all does make it worse.  Like you, exercise is my job, and I feel my confidence slipping and I've been in floods of tears so many times worrying about my future with it all.  Thank you so much for replying and for digging out your older post.  It's a massive help. 

This started 3 years ago, and at first there was no pattern to it.  But now everytime I teach an exercise class, I'm in pain during the class and afterwards it takes a few days to recover (if I'm able to let it, which I'm often not). 

How long did it take for the HRT to settle it for you do you remember?   What HRT are you on?  I'm on Femoston the lowest dose.  I will also try the Epsom salts and magnesium also. 

Thanks again, I definitely feel less mad now  ;D <3 <3 <3

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2022, 10:15:33 AM »

I've been suffering from right side lower back muscle pain for a few years now. I was given Pilates exercises to do by the hospital physio and was proud of myself at how well I was doing but gave up after constant flare ups, why would exercises do so much damage when they are supposed to help!

Two years on and my muscle pain is now getting worse, obviously with age! Back to the physio, this time at my surgery, and she gave me some very good advice and more exercise programmes, but this time to do them every other day, and afterwards to put heat on the area.  That was six weeks ago, and I have definitely noticed an improvement. it's a slow progress but no flare ups this time and the help of an infra-red lamp after is helping to loosen the muscle more after exercising. 

DottyD68

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2022, 03:58:27 PM »

Hi Cravenraven,

When I saw your original post I thought the same thing. I don't know many people who have suffered with this which is why I had to reply. I was only put onto the menopause/HRT connection when a cyclist friend of mine who was suffering somehing similar during Spinning sessions started HRT and said her legs felt so much better.

I would say it took 2-3 months on HRT for things to improve. I was on  sequi regime of 2 pumps of Oestrogel (equivalent to 50mg I think) and Utrogestan for 2 weeks of the month. I am now on 4 pumps as other menopause symptoms emerged eg allergies and anxiety amongst other things and that seems to suit me at the mo.

Interestingly my GP tried to move me to a conti regime in August 22 (A year after starting a sequi regime on the assumption I should have stopped periods as I was 54) of Evorel 50. Not only was it a change of regime it was also a change of application (gel to patches) and half the dose and I was recovering from Covid. I fell off a cliff within days and my crampy thigh pain re-emerged. I was put back onto my original sequi regime by another GP to try and settle things and told I shouldn't have changed my HRT whilst recovering from Covid. The fact my thigh pain came back on the lower doseage has convinced me it is related to hormones.

I'm no longer working as a PT. I do exercise every day but not as much as I used to. Maybe over training made it worse. I think hydration is important and also getting the right minerals. I mentioned magnesium but also potassium, zinc etc.

I would give HRT 2-3 months and even consider increasing your dose if your current regime isn't helping your muscle symptoms. I like using the gel because I can manage the dosage better depending on symptoms.

Also try and keep a diary of when it happens to see if there is a pattern and if it can be linked to your cycle.

I hope this helps and gives you hope. Losing confidence in your own body's capabilities is really upsetting and stressful especially if it is your living.

Keep smiling  :)

Cravenraven

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 04:28:54 PM »

Thank you ❤️

I felt the best I have in months yesterday thanks to your advice ☺️.  It's feels like finally I have some hope that this WILL resolve itself.  Even if it takes months or a year to work out which HRT helps my body, I feel so much happier. 

It's amazing what a difference finding someone else with a similar experience can do ! 

I've also ordered some Epsom salts, and some multivitamins and also some muscle ache cream which has cannabis oil in it !!! 🤣. I saw it on Holland and Barrett and thought that looks interesting!

I'm so new to all this that I didn't know what a conti regime is, but I've looked it up now.  I'm glad they put you back on your old sequi regime (but I guess it was useful to know for definite that it was the hormones causing the muscles cramps).  I'll try a higher dose in a few months if I'm not seeing any improvement. 

Thank you again, and I'll keep you updated.

X💓

DottyD68

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 05:53:12 PM »

Good luck Cravenraven. I really hope things improve for you. Let me know how you get on.....and keep smiling  :) x