Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Femoston conti and periods  (Read 621 times)

AnMa

Femoston conti and periods
« on: October 28, 2022, 07:49:43 PM »

Hello. I'm 57, was on Femoston sequential for two years. I weaned off that last December, as i was tired of the monthly bleeds and wanted to see if I was in menopause. Then in June I got a period! Have had two more since then. GP sent me offfor Ultrasound etc, everything is fine, just two very small fibroids. Gynae team and GP suggested starting Femoston conti as I didn't fancy mirena coil or patches etc. (I asked to go back on HRT as all the craziness and heat have returned, and seriously impacting work and home life).  I was fine on the sequential Femoston before, so am hoping the conti will be ok (just got it today!). BUT....everything I read says conti is only if you've gone 12 months without periods. And I've kind of started them again, having had a monthly period since June. So should I really be taking the conti hrt..? Unless they (docs) at secretly thinking "well she's 57, so they can't be real periods...!!" Would be good to hear your thoughts and stories. Thankyou  :)

Hurdity

Re: Femoston conti and periods
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 08:41:52 AM »

Hi AnMa

:welcomemm:

Re you monthly bleeds - it is unusual but not unheard of to be having natural periods at 57 - this is within the normal range of late menopause. Do you know what your womb lining measured after the scan and did you have a hysteroscopy and biopsy?

You said you had a period in June and then 2 more since then but then you said you had them monthly since June? That should be 5 in total. If you've just had 3 then it may just be a built up lining shedding or the fibroids reacting possibly, rather than a proper return to periods?

Yes it's fine to trial  conti at your stage but if they are natural periods then you will likely get breakthrough bleeding rather than the predictable bleeds of sequi HRT. If you were on Femoston sequi 1 mg then the 1 mg conti should suit you symptom wise.

Why not try it for a few months and see how you go with your bleeds?

Re my story - I  am still on cyclical HRT in my late 60s but on a longer cycle than 4 weeks - approx 6 week cycle, to minimise the amount of progesterone I need to take. Yes absolutely horrible having to bleed at this age but there is no alternative if you don't want to be on daily progesterone and only want to take bio-identical HRT as I do

Hurdity x

AnMa

Re: Femoston conti and periods
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 05:01:42 AM »

Hello Hurdity
Your reply is lovely shiny thing to read at 4.30am when I've had to get out of bed cos of being too hot and very awake! Thankyou so much for taking the time to respond.

To answer your questions:
I only had the scan and the vaginal camera thingy. Womb lining 3mm.

Sorry wasnt too clear on the periods. I had a period 19/6, 10/8 and 11/9. October has been an emotional roller coaster with that familiar 'PMT' feeling the whole time...but no sign of any bleed.

I was fine on the 1/10 sequi Femoston (was on that for two years till Dec 2021), so I'm hoping it will all be ok on Femoston conti 1/5....I will take your advice thankyou, and see how it goes :)

So you're on cyclical HRT, and in your late 60s.....It never ends does it?! It is enlightening to hear other stories, thankyou.  I didn't know there was one with a 6 week cycle. Ive just remembered that i did get awful headaches on the progesterone days of the sequi Femoston....So I'm learning from your post that conti is not the only option at this stage...??

It's a minefield and some days I feel like just retreating into the woods and hibernating for a long while...

Thanks again, sharing here makes me feel hopeful and less alone (also might stop weighing down my partner with all my menopausal talk!) xxxx