Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Feeling Despondant  (Read 1354 times)

discogirl

Feeling Despondant
« on: October 27, 2022, 06:32:11 AM »

Hi all,

I've been on hrt since august; on patches and 100g utro PV.

I increased my estraderm patch to 50mx saturday.

Main issues for me are anxiety and insomnia I no longer have hot flushes, night sweats.

Thing is I always slept well, and my sleep to be honest has gotten better a little; however I still get a few nights a week where I only get about 2 or 3 hours sleep. Literally lying awake trying to nod off.

I'm desperately trying to get my sleep back into some sort of pattern.

I put my patch on my left side when I changed it yesterday, I know this sounds silly but has anyone noticed that their patch doesn't seem to 'work' as well on the left side of their body? i may be clutching at straws here.

I don't know whether it's just, this is my sleep pattern now, even on hrt or whether I'm not absorbing the patches.

I just would like to get to the point where I'm not frightened to go to bed.

The early days of insomnia were truly horrific and whilst my sleep has gotten better slightly, I suppose I'm scared that my sleep will now not get back to where it was.

Thanks xxx

Perinowpost

Re: Feeling Despondant
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 06:47:22 AM »

Hi Discogirl and sorry to hear you are struggling. I move my patch about so it’s in a new place each time. It’s not so much that it’s on the left or right side, but just to make sure I get the best absorption - hope this makes sense.

Also, if you’ve only just moved up to a 50 patch this is only an average dose which means you were pretty low before. I would give it a bit longer if I were you and hopefully your sleep will settle.

Let us know how you get on x

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 06:57:41 AM »

Thanks for your help Perinowpost, I appreciate it xxx

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 06:59:10 AM »

Hi Discogirl and sorry to hear you are struggling. I move my patch about so it’s in a new place each time. It’s not so much that it’s on the left or right side, but just to make sure I get the best absorption - hope this makes sense.

Also, if you’ve only just moved up to a 50 patch this is only an average dose which means you were pretty low before. I would give it a bit longer if I were you and hopefully your sleep will settle.

Let us know how you get on x

Can I ask Perinowpost, whereabouts do you put your patch for best absorption. I've heard that bum cheeks have 20% better absorption so I change from left to right cheek (sorry tmi). But sometimes it just feels that I don't absorb as well on the left side. It maybe just me xxx

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 07:01:07 AM »

Hi you’ve got to be patient unfortunately. HRT is not an instant fix. I agree with Perinowpost that 50 is only an average amount of oestrogen. You might need more and you have to give it time to build up in your system. I know it’s not easy x

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 07:04:10 AM »

Thanks Dotty, that's one of my failings impatience.

How long do you think it should take and how long should I give it on the 50 patch before considering moving up to 75.

I just don't want to do things too quickly xxx

Perinowpost

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 07:13:34 AM »

I wear mine on my abdomen. When I tried my butt I didn’t get any absorption at all - try it. I think you should then start to feel better pretty soon as your levels build. I wouldn’t rush to move up to a 75 patch, I’ve seen too many get that wrong and feel worse not better.

I think an average dose is best (definitely for me anyway). I put a new patch on every 3 days (I leave the outgoing patch on for the extra half day) and that seems to be the magic spot for me x

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 07:21:44 AM »

Hi perinowpost,

I may try my abdomen when I change it Saturday. And do you keep it on your abdomen and just change sides?

What are the advantages of putting a new patch on every 3 days?  I'm on the 3 + 4 days regime.

Does that mean your getting more estrogen? I'm terrified of having too much estrogen, which is why I want to build up slowly.
 xxxx

Perinowpost

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 07:48:15 AM »

Yes I switch sides, basically making sure I get a new patch of skin each time.

I started the 3 days regime cos I could literally feel my patch run out on the last half day. This way I don’t have those symptoms. It’s a little boost but not too much oestrogen if you see what I mean. I think lots of us on here do this now x

discogirl

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 07:59:06 AM »

Hi Perinowpost,

Yes that makes complete sense.

When you were wearing your patch on your butt, you say you weren't absorbing it there, did you know this as your symptoms weren't improving?

Changing the patch every 3 days is something I would consider doing as it makes sense, however not yet as I want things to settle first before I change anything again.

Could I ask you, how long you think I should give it on this 50 patch before I decide to change hrt or even stop it.

I suppose my sleep has improved a tiny little bit, but as I've been on hrt since end of august maybe I was expecting too much, too soon xxx

Perinowpost

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 08:06:32 AM »

When I put it on my butt I had no relief at all, it was as if the hrt wasn’t getting through at all. I know the difference cos I had it on my abdomen first then tried my butt. I quickly switched back to my abdomen and was ok within a couple of hours.

I’m optimistic it’ll be the same for you. Hang on in there, I think you just need a few little tweaks x
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 09:18:24 AM by Perinowpost »

Nas

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 08:22:25 AM »

Hi disco,
The thing with hrt is that it isn’t a quick fix. The general rule of thumb, that you start at the lowest dose and work your way up.

Ideally, if you started HRT in August on a 25 dose , then if no relief, move up to 50 beginning of November and then do November/ December/ January on the 50. 

By all means, experiment with patch sites for best absorption but try and keep to the same dose now until at least the end of January.

It’s very frustrating, especially when you want to feel well and  regain sleep etc.

Hang on in there! Xxxx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 09:10:00 AM »

Hello Discogirl. I am sorry to read how despondant you are feeling. I understand we just want to feel better but like the others say, you need to give yourself some more time.

Your bout of insomnia seems to have frightened you so much you think not getting off to sleep right away means it will come back. I would think you are over that now as you are sleeping much better then you were during that time.

Many say sleep is the last symptom to improve and I have found that with myself. I have been on HRT for two years and I had not seen any improvement in three months which is the time you have been on HRT.

I can understand you feeling anxious but you really do have to give your body time to adjust. You may not even need a stronger dose of oestrogen at all. Many women find 50 is the best dose for them. I would not be in any rush to increase your oestrogen but allow your body time to adjust.

Each time you have rushed to increase the oestrogen you have felt jittery and it is so positive this increase has not had this unwanted side effect. I would say this means your body is getting used to oestrogen and you just need to allow yourself time.

It is very lonely lying awake at night and willing sleep. I know things can seem so much worse then. I am sending you a big hug.

Dotty

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 09:12:15 AM »

Hi I’ve just looked at the diary I kept when I was at my worst . Once I was on the right dose of oestrogen ( for me is 4 pumps ) my sleep improved within a month.

I’d been on hrt for 6 months previous to this and had been suffering symptoms for years before this.

The 6 months that I was on lower doses stopped the flushes and heart palpitations but nothing else . x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 10:11:05 AM »

Don't increase dosage all at once, give the body time to adjust?

Also if your anxiety is bad, then mayB consider an anti-depressant that eases anxiety or an as-necessary tablet i.e. Valium.  This helped me enormously, I would take it the night B4 an event that I was unable to get out of.  Knowing that I could take another 5mg the next day which I never required.

Bachs Rescue Remedy?  Relaxation therapy?  Yoga?  Swimming, walking ........ these take energy and commitment.  I was supposed to practice relaxation so that I could put into action when panic threatened.  However  >:(

I feel for you I really do  :bighug:
Pages: [1] 2