Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil - amount of levinorgestrel  (Read 852 times)

Harebell

Mirena coil - amount of levinorgestrel
« on: August 25, 2022, 07:16:05 PM »

Hi

I am thinking of asking for a Mirena coil as I want to go bleed free. I’m on evorel sequi at the moment but I don’t like the conti patches.
Anyone have any experience to share with me.
Is the daily dose of levonorgestrel going to make me feel bad?? As with the evorel sequi patches at least I get to have 2 decent weeks per month. But I’m fed up with the bleed!

Thanks ladies
Harebell

Lavender

• First Flush
Re: Mirena coil - amount of levinorgestrel
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 12:47:49 PM »

Hi Harebell,

If you have the mirena fitted you will probably go on to everol estrogen only patches.

I have the mirena fitted and am on everol 75. After the mirena is fitted it may take a few months to settle in. It's worth talking over with your GP.

Nas

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 02:57:45 PM »

Takes a good few months for the mirena to settle. You need to be patient (of which I am not!).
Mine was fitted end of May and spotting on and off still.
However, it is preferable to the grim full on periods I was gettting whilst on the evorel patches and utrogestan.

Apparantly the amount of progesterone in a mirena is small, compared to oral progesterone, so always worth a shot.

Good luck.

Harebell

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 11:19:03 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

I had an appt with my GP today and she prescribed utrogestan and evorel oestrogen only patches to try.

She said that they don’t generally give over 55’s the Mirena coil. I am 57.

That made me feel really bad as I he done a lot of research and in my mind I had figured that this might suit me better.

Anyone know if this is the norm?

Thanks in advance. Would be good to hear if anyone over 55 has the Mirena.

Harebell

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 03:31:46 PM »

Sorry to hear this Harebell

I imagine you have been told this because it was originally developed for birth control but it is also very effective and licensed for use as the progestogen component of HRT so your GP is out of date. If you want to try the Mirena then show her the information on this website here and stand your ground:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php (scroll down for Mirena info)

As Nas said the amount absorbed systemically is very small and on AVERAGE as far as I recall is comparable (same ball-park) with the amount in a Femseven patch.

Good luck

Glad also to hear things are improving for you Nas :)

Hurdity x

joziel

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 03:41:42 PM »

If you'd like a Mirena you can definitely see another GP and get one fitted for HRT.

Your GP is incorrect. After all, it is an acceptable part of the progesterone component of HRT - so why does she think women over 55 can't have it? That would leave only a very small number of years/women it could be used for....

I think she is just regurgitating the idea that women should stop POPs and coils at 55 years old. That is based on when they are no longer fertile - it's not about HRT needs.

Do see another doctor if you'd like one.

Harebell

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 03:42:38 PM »

Thank you Hurdity.

I will go back with that information. That’s really helpful.

I have a feeling they just want an easy life at the GP surgery. It did make me feel a bit old and worthless.

In the meantime I suppose I’ll try the utrogestan. Can’t be worse than the evorel conti patch. I was ok with it really and had got used the cycle. But I’m just fed up of feeling low for a couple of weeks each month.

I’m thinking of trying it as a pesssry instead. Might be kind of similar idea to the coil.

Harebell

Grheliz1

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 03:56:31 PM »

I had mine fitted when I was nearly 56 and a second one a few weeks ago. I checked and they are fine to do another one when this one comes to the end of its life.

Thanks for your replies.

I had an appt with my GP today and she prescribed utrogestan and evorel oestrogen only patches to try.

She said that they don’t generally give over 55’s the Mirena coil. I am 57.

That made me feel really bad as I he done a lot of research and in my mind I had figured that this might suit me better.

Anyone know if this is the norm?

Thanks in advance. Would be good to hear if anyone over 55 has the Mirena.

Harebell

Harebell

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 05:14:33 PM »

Thank you Grehliz 1

If you don’t mind me asking was this a GP or private and how old are you now.

My GP said the overall idea would be for me to go bleed free,  though I do not ‘qualify’ for the mirena, with a view to levelling things out so I could be then weaned off hrt altogether because of the risks.

I said well I have got this far in life and I’d rather have quality of life really. The GP I saw was a young female.

Anywya thanks all for your replies it has helped me a lot. I’m not alone!

Harebell

joziel

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 05:26:19 PM »

I think you need to see someone with more up to date knowledge. You don't ever need to be 'weaned off' HRT  ::)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 10:13:22 PM »

I am on my second Mirena, had it fitted in June and i am 59.

Grheliz1

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 09:59:35 AM »

I'm now 58, 59 at the end of the year. The Mirena recommendation resulted from hospital consultations (NHS) as I had polyps. It has been partially effective--can't quite get rid of the last of the proliferative cells although I no longer have bleeding and polyps. I'm hoping to avoid a hysterectomy but having six-monthly hysteroscopies isn't a laugh a minute. But the benefits to my overall health of being on HRT outweigh the negatives, in my view, and I have made it clear that I won't be coming off. To be fair, the consultants I've seen have been completely accepting of this.

Thank you Grehliz 1

If you don’t mind me asking was this a GP or private and how old are you now.

My GP said the overall idea would be for me to go bleed free,  though I do not ‘qualify’ for the mirena, with a view to levelling things out so I could be then weaned off hrt altogether because of the risks.

I said well I have got this far in life and I’d rather have quality of life really. The GP I saw was a young female.

Anywya thanks all for your replies it has helped me a lot. I’m not alone!

Harebell