Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Is 5mg of noresthisrerone daily too much?  (Read 837 times)

FionaA

Is 5mg of noresthisrerone daily too much?
« on: October 25, 2022, 12:33:20 AM »

Hi. I'm 51 and peri. I have been on oral HRT for a few years, Trisquens and Femstrom. They worked fine but I developed VA and went to the gyno who upgraded me to a more "modern" regime of estrogen gel and progesterone (utrogestan) - either 100mg daily, or 200 for 15 days a month, my choice.

Long story, short - the progesterone gave me the worst headaches of my life and painkillers did nothing to alleviate them. I called the gyno (who sounded annoyed) and now she's prescribed 5mg norethisterone daily instead of the progesterone.

I'm just really concerned because my previous oral preparation (trisequens) was:

Blue tablet: estradiol 2 mg (as estradiol hemihydrate)

White tablet: estradiol 2 mg (as estradiol hemihydrate) and norethisterone acetate 1 mg.

Red tablet: estradiol 1 mg (as estradiol hemihydrate).

So, just 1mg of norethisterone for 15 days was enough in the oral prep, but my doctor has prescribed me 5mg norethisterone every day with 2 pumps of estrogel. Does this sound right? Am I totally overthinking this and should just do what the doctor says?

Edit...I got up the courage to email to gyno and hope she not annoyed again. I'll update this post with the answer in case it helps someone else.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 01:28:33 AM by FionaA »

Dotty

Re: Is 5mg of noresthisrerone daily too much?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 06:13:53 AM »

https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/14-BMS-TfC-Progestogens-and-endometrial-protection-01H.pdf

The dosage is in this document. I think it’s page 6. Basically you don’t need 5mg a day but there isn’t a smaller tablet available unless you take 3 x Noriday tablets per day.

You could try Provera. x
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 09:57:15 AM by Emma »

shoppingqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 08:50:30 AM »

Hi ladies
Interesting Dotty thank you. I’ve been prescribed 5mg daily continuous so this suggests I could have 2.5.
Also, I notice dydrogesterone mentioned but it’s not available solo as far as I know. It’s shame as I believe this is closer to our own after the utrogestan etc
Has anyone found it available as singular do you know? X

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 11:50:32 AM »

Shoppingqueen… if you’re on continuous Norethisterone you only need 0.5 - 1mg a day. The closest you can get to this is 3 Noriday tablets daily. x

warwick01

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 03:57:22 PM »

Hi

Northisterone is very strong. I would break in half so 2.5 rather than 5mcg. I was ok with that, although only used 10 days per month.

Wx

shoppingqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 07:10:33 PM »

Hi
Thank you sorry I should have said I’m on Provera. I was prescribed 5mg but the link suggests 2.5 for continuous. It’s all very confusing. I honestly don’t think my pharmacist at the doctor was even sure so she said 5mg if I was on either 75 patch or 3 pumps gel xx

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 07:24:40 PM »

Shoppingqueen….ah sorry I misunderstood. Yes you’re right…it says 2.5 mg of Provera

FionaA

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 12:13:24 AM »

@Dotty - thanks so much for your answer. When the gyno got back to me she said exactly your response. Although, not before complaining about getting an email question instead of me paying her $300 for a visit. I figure she can suck it up for a single question.

;)