Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Utterly miserable with the bloody menopause  (Read 1284 times)

TM73!

Utterly miserable with the bloody menopause
« on: October 23, 2022, 02:44:40 PM »

I’m 49 and have been taking Evorel 50/Conti in combination with the mini pill for around 7 months. During this time my anxiety has grown alarmingly high, I’ve put on around 2 stone in weight, haven’t slept properly for couple of years and continue not to. My previously mild IBS is now awful and I have lost focus and find everything an effort. I’ve taken Citolopram for a few years as I’m a naturally anxious person but it never seems to help anymore.

I try to eat well, take regular exercise and to view this as just a phase of my life but I’m beginning to wonder if this will ever end. I honestly feel so awful. I’m sorry this is such a depressing post, but I just want to feel well again.

Flossieteacake

Re: Utterly miserable with the bloody menopause
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 02:48:50 PM »

I am so sorry to hear you are feeling this way. Menopause can be a very confusing and lonely journey. Like you, I have worse IBS along with food intolerances so I understand how you are feeling.

If the citalopram is not controlling the anxiety, is it possible to increase it? I know that can be helpful.

Have you spoken to your DR about not being able to sleep and how you are feeling?

Please do not apologise for your post. This is a place you can come to for support.

TM73!

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 02:57:45 PM »

Thank your for your message Flossie.
I don’t think it helps that my GP surgery is still very much in Covid mood and most appointments are over the phone . I’ve had a lot of appointments in relation to the IBS and told them I don’t sleep (they prescribed Phenergan but it not that helpful and I feel drowsy the following day) my GP surgery is pretty uneducated on menopause matters .I’m considering finding a private menopause clinic but terrified I’ll be ripped off as I don’t have much money to spare.
I’d get a loan though if I thought they could truly help me.

Nas

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 03:05:45 PM »

Maybe you need an increase in oestrogen? Ask your gp to prescribe the 75 patch with progesterone? That might help?

Sleep and anxiety issues, are a pain in the butt! Have you tried a decent CBD oil? I’m trialling a 5% full spectrum oil and felt a bit more relaxed last night, compared to my usual hyper jittery self at night.

Sometimes we need to trial a few products to see what works for different symptoms. Hrt doesn’t necessarily fix everything unfortunately. 

Good luck 🤞 x
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 03:18:16 PM by Nas »

TM73!

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 03:13:50 PM »

Thank you Nas. I will ask about increasing to 75mg . I’ve heard of CBD oil but didn’t know it might help with my symptoms . Holland and Barrett here I come !  :D

Nas

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 03:20:46 PM »

Yes the 75 might help. If you need progesterone, utrogestan is probably the best starting point.

Re the Cbd oil. Be careful with Holland and Barrett, as the quality isn’t always great and there are no laboratory reports to say what is in the product.
Have a look online, but always check lab reports, else they could be charging for any old rubbish x

Nik2502

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 03:40:59 PM »

Hi

I totally empathise with you. And don’t be sorry! Many of us are suffering the same symptoms. My anxiety is off the scale at the moment. I don’t think I’ve felt like myself for weeks now.
An increase in oestrogen may be a good start. I’ve fiddled with mine and now I think I’ve messed them up as I haven’t given them time.
I’m just impatient to feel better again!

All I can offer is support.

Hugs
Nik xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 03:49:31 PM »

Thank your for your message Flossie.
I don’t think it helps that my GP surgery is still very much in Covid mood and most appointments are over the phone . I’ve had a lot of appointments in relation to the IBS and told them I don’t sleep (they prescribed Phenergan but it not that helpful and I feel drowsy the following day) my GP surgery is pretty uneducated on menopause matters .I’m considering finding a private menopause clinic but terrified I’ll be ripped off as I don’t have much money to spare.
I’d get a loan though if I thought they could truly help me.

Did you know there are NHS menopause clinics? You should not have to take out a loan to go private. If the NHS clinic is not local then you can ask for a phone appointment so that should not be an issue.

I think it is hard to find GPs who understand menopause so a menopause clinic should be much more helpful.

I hate that drowsy feeling too so I understand why you do not want to take something that causes it.

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 03:57:00 PM »

I think you'd benefit from an increase in oestrogen too. My worst symptoms were anxiety and insomnia and both went after 3 months on HRT. You may need to do something different with your progesterone. The combined patch (oestrogen and progesterone) only comes in 50 so the increase will be an oestrogen only patch and I think the progesterone may be insufficient though I'm not certain of this.

TM73!

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 04:56:21 PM »

Thank you so so much to everyone for your kindness and advice. Wish I’d signed up to these forums long ago. You have all made me more determined to find help to deal with this horrible situation. Thank you again and best wishes to you all.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 04:59:50 PM »

Thank you so so much to everyone for your kindness and advice. Wish I’d signed up to these forums long ago. You have all made me more determined to find help to deal with this horrible situation. Thank you again and best wishes to you all.

You are most welcome. I am happy to hear we have made you feel a little better.  :)

Perinowpost

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 05:54:33 PM »

TM731 you say you take evorel in combination with the mini pill. It may be that you are taking too much progesterone and this is contributing to your anxiety. You are taking it every day in the form of the mini pill, and then noresthisterone in the combo part of the hrt.

I think this needs looking at as the effect of too much prog can outweigh the feel good effect of the oestrogen.

Any questions just ask x

VanillaLover

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 08:11:13 AM »

Hi, just wanted to say that I’m really sorry that you’re suffering. You are not alone, though it feels like that I know. Have you tried CBT or anything for the anxiety? I found it a great help. God knows what the waiting lists are like at the moment though! Also a change of antidepressant may help, perhaps discuss with your
GP? I was on fluoxetine for around 15 years and I found it stopped working for me. I changed to a different type and a world of difference.

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 09:05:38 AM »

Hello TM731 and welcome to the forum.

I see that you have been given lots of good advice and I hope that has helped you.

As you can see you are not alone in your struggles or your need to feel better.

Take care and wishing you well.

K.

G

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 09:46:59 AM »

Sad and strange to read these posts when they reflect exactly where you are at too - I am sorry you feel so horrible, I'm right there with you on all. I am a psychotherapist. CBT is fantastic - on this though I am not convinced. You can't rationally talk yourself out of raging anxiety based on a hormone imbalance - it might work for some I am happy for those that it does help. The total debilitation that is menopause is so understated or understood I think as a society. It's like some secret thing you hide and try and get through alone and it isn't like a cold where you recognise the feelings know what it is and also know - give it a week and I will bounce back, none apply. Miserable.
Pages: [1] 2