Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sore and aching muscles  (Read 1454 times)

VanillaLover

Sore and aching muscles
« on: October 21, 2022, 08:04:35 PM »

Hello all,

I just wanted to ask about one of my more constant symptoms - aching muscles. Mainly legs but can be arms etc too if it’s a really bad spell. I’m sure it’s not a joint thing but the actual muscles.….my legs for example feel like I did 100 squats the day before!  Some times more noticeable than others.  They don’t ache when I’m still it’s just more a tiredness or soreness when I move, climb stairs etc. Not worse in morning or evening just all the time.
Had a rubbish few days with particularly bad peri symptoms and my muscle aches are off the scale today ! Went to do my sport tonight and had to give up the warm up exercises due to my aching legs …now afterwards they feel like I’ve been working out all day or something !

Does or did anyone have the same thing? Would like to hear other’s experiences

Thank you all

Vanilla x

Bindi

Re: Sore and aching muscles
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 12:43:03 PM »

Hello all,

I just wanted to ask about one of my more constant symptoms - aching muscles. Mainly legs but can be arms etc too if it’s a really bad spell. I’m sure it’s not a joint thing but the actual muscles.….my legs for example feel like I did 100 squats the day before!  Some times more noticeable than others.  They don’t ache when I’m still it’s just more a tiredness or soreness when I move, climb stairs etc. Not worse in morning or evening just all the time.
Had a rubbish few days with particularly bad peri symptoms and my muscle aches are off the scale today ! Went to do my sport tonight and had to give up the warm up exercises due to my aching legs …now afterwards they feel like I’ve been working out all day or something !

Does or did anyone have the same thing? Would like to hear other’s experiences

Thank you all

Vanilla x

Hi vanilla
Im new to all this to but was speaking to my female pharmacist  the other day and she told me she takes magnesium  for her muscle aches just thought id mention it..gd luck im sure someone on here will be able to help you hun

VanillaLover

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 05:24:20 PM »

Thank you! I already take magnesium. Been for a long walk today which was ok. Still hurts to climb stairs though…..I’ll keep chugging on!

trandall

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 02:55:46 PM »

This is hardest thing for me to cope with as it feels like odd pains that I cannot rationalise and then I worry and the anxiety increases. Every time I get on top of one pain another one seems to start and it’s stranger than the last one. At the moment it’s left side rib pain and muscle right in at my waist left side too. Even although recent bloods done it feels so alien that I can’t stop thinking something is wrong 😟

VanillaLover

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 04:10:48 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I know what you mean about it feeling alien. I do secretly wonder if it can’t all be down to hormones and I in fact have some terrible disease. I guess the aches and pains thing is so common though….I have lots of classic symptoms too like the good old hot flushes and weird periods, so it all fits. I too have had blood tests and they were ok.

trandall

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 08:07:42 PM »

Thanks for replying as I said anxiety goes up so it really does help when someone else feels the same. I know we are all in the same boat and appreciate it when someone really understands how I feel thanks again

MabelBabel

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 09:47:44 AM »

I have suffered with what I call joint pain and muscle tension, it can affect every joint, recently seems worse in my shoulders, elbows and wrists. The pain/tension is like my joints and muscles are slow being put in a vice with immense pressure on them, this makes me want/need to free them, shake them out, it makes my muscles feel so tense/tight that I want to find a way to relax them but of course I can't stretch them enough for any relief. It is awful and mainly hits me at night. I dread it.

DottyD68

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 03:58:00 PM »

Hi VanillaLover,

This was one of my first peri-menopausal symptoms 7-8 years ago although I didn't realise it at the time. They was no real pattern/frequency but occasionally it would start during exercise with a heavy, sore feeling in my thighs and if I didn't stop exercising it could develop into a really debilitating and sore cramp which would take several days to recover (like DOMS). At the time I was very fit and working as a personal trainer doing lots of running and cycling amongst other things. I had blood tests, saw physios, osteopaths, had acupuncture and noone could find anything obviously wrong. I put it down to overtraining and dehydration.

It rarely happens now but the last few times it did it was preceded/accompanied by a menopausal anxiety/panic attack - like my muscles had tensed up in response to an adrenaline rush. It was then that I wondered if it was linked to the Menopause. I then noticed during the covid years that at certain times of the month my thighs felt very achey and I couldn't even face going for a short walk let alone anything more vigorous. This in turn made me anxious and I lost confidence, as exercise has always been a big part of my life, so it felt like a vicious circle.

I had previously tried to manage all my peri-menopause symptoms with all sorts of natural supplements and remedies, yoga, stretching, physio and meditation but once I'd made the connection this symptom was the one that made me want to try HRT. I started HRT in August 2021 and it has really helped reduce my sore, achy thighs.

VanillaLover

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 09:30:34 PM »

Hi Dotty

Thanks so much for your reply. I’m so glad to hear I’m not alone! Or imagining it.

Mabel, that sounds a bit like restless legs which is a truly awful thing …is it a bit like that? Feels like you must keep moving/stretching or else this agonising tension builds up…