Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Patch Strength and poor sleep  (Read 897 times)

discogirl

Patch Strength and poor sleep
« on: October 22, 2022, 07:24:03 AM »

I'm just wanting a bit of advice really.

I started hrt 25th August, to combat poor sleep and anxiety, I also developed tinnitus in february. The tinnitus has got better, I had anxiety and panic attacks prior to this.

I started on 25mcg patch and on 13th Sept increased it to 37.5mcg. About 14 days ago, after a couple of really bad nights sleep I increased to 50mcg then on my patch change went back down to 37.5mcg. (I know!!!)

Last night after literally not having slept at all, at about 3.30am I took my 37.5mcg patch off (in desperation really) and put a 50mcg patch on.

I'm obviously going to have to stay on this 50mcg now as I appreciate chopping and changing is really bad for my system.

My question is, shouldn't I be seeing a bit more improvement in my sleep by now? I know sleep issues are usually one of the last symptoms to improve. Or is it really a case of once I find the right dose, then my sleep should get better? Also, I've read that sometimes women just don't absorb the patches, how on earth do I know if it's either not the right dose or if I'm not absorbing.

I'm trying so hard to get this right, but I just want to see some improvement in my sleep, and to feel normal again, which I haven't felt in so long.

sorry for the rant and thank you for any replies xxxx

Dotty

Re: Patch Strength and poor sleep
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 08:38:59 AM »

Sleep was the last thing that got sorted for me. It didn’t improve until I was on the right oestrogen dose and my levels of oestrogen had increased.

You know if you’re absorbing if your symptoms are improved.

Nik2502

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 08:40:47 AM »

Hi

You definitely need to stay on one patch consistently - it can take a few weeks to feel the benefit. I know I think I know best and chop and change but it’s the worst thing!

You can ask your GP to test your oestrogen level to see where you are - levels of 350 are usually in the therapeutic range although some ladies need higher doses.

Are you using a progesterone?

Nik xx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 09:02:18 AM »

Discogirl. I am so sorry to hear you have had such a bad night. Now that you have the 50 on allow yourself time to get used to it. You may feel odd at first but it will pass. It took a while for me to be able to sleep so hang on in there.

You started HRT in August so it is still early days for you.

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 09:36:37 AM »

Hi

You definitely need to stay on one patch consistently - it can take a few weeks to feel the benefit. I know I think I know best and chop and change but it’s the worst thing!

You can ask your GP to test your oestrogen level to see where you are - levels of 350 are usually in the therapeutic range although some ladies need higher doses.
Nik xx

Are you using a progesterone?

Hi Nik2502,

Yes I use utrogestan PV.

And I know you're right about sticking to one dose, I suppose my sleep was getting better by teeny steps and I just didn't know what happened last night, but I got not one wink of sleep, and this happened weeks ago.

My sleep since february has been so very bad, I suppose I'm scared of it going back to that, which is why I upped my patch to 50 (but I will stick at 50 come hell or high water, I have to) xxxx

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 09:38:26 AM »

Discogirl. I am so sorry to hear you have had such a bad night. Now that you have the 50 on allow yourself time to get used to it. You may feel odd at first but it will pass. It took a while for me to be able to sleep so hang on in there.

You started HRT in August so it is still early days for you.

Hi flossieteacake.

I will have to stick to 50 now regardless, I will give it a good few weeks and hopefully that will help.

Lovely to hear from you, how are things with you xxx

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 09:41:49 AM »

Sleep was the last thing that got sorted for me. It didn’t improve until I was on the right oestrogen dose and my levels of oestrogen had increased.

You know if you’re absorbing if your symptoms are improved.

HI Dotty,

Thanks so much for your help and your reply.

Hopefully now I'm on the 50 I will see an improvement.

Regarding my symptoms, I had no night sweats or hot flushes, my symptoms were tinnitus, insomnia and anxiety and panic attacks. The anxiety has reduced, however I don't know if that's in part of me reducing my caffeine intake.

the sleep was improving, in february, my sleep was like last night, not getting to sleep until about 3 or 4am and still waking at 7am.  Over time my sleep for the past couple of weeks, I was getting 6 or 7hrs which for me now is brilliant.

I just really am scared of going back to being awake until 3 or 4am in the morning; I really hope the patch increase helps xxxx