Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vagifem prescribed because can't get estrogel in Greece  (Read 786 times)

SunnyG

• HRT really helping brainfog, tiredness, depression
Vagifem prescribed because can't get estrogel in Greece
« on: October 20, 2022, 12:00:43 PM »

Hi all,

I live in Greece and usually get estrogel and utrogestan on private prescription from the UK. I haven't been able to get back to the UK for different reasons and ran out of estrogel. I'm back in 3 weeks but need something to tide me over until then.

I went to a (female) Greek doctor this morning. First she told me she didn't believe in HRT and I should take herbs or antidepressants  :o [size=78%]! When I insisted she has prescribed me vagifem pessaries twice a week (I think 0.01mg). For me the estrogel helped with the severe brain fog and tiredness I had before, as well as a weird internal shaking which is a lesser known menopause symptom. I'm worried the dose isn't high enough and the topical application in the vagina will mean it isn't getting into my system enough.[/size]

Is anyone else on just vagifem? Should I try and see another doctor? I have a lot of work to do in the next 3 weeks and need to be on my top game.

Any help gratefully received. Thank you Sunny xx

Joaniepat

Re: Vagifem prescribed because can't get estrogel in Greece
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 12:24:41 PM »

Vagifem is an entirely different product from systemic oestrogen. It is used to treat genitourinary symptoms of menopause and will not be absorbed systemically, so you are right to say this is no substitute for your Oestrogel.
I'm sorry I can't help with what might be available in Greece. Perhaps you could speak to a pharmacist first, to find out what is available? In some countries you can buy otc.
I hope you get something suitable. Let us know how you get on.
JP x
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 02:35:54 PM by Joaniepat »

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 12:26:56 PM »

Blimey,great Dr huh?  >:(
Vagifem will only treat vaginal atrophy,won't help with any other symptoms,normally you take it daily for the first two weeks,then twice weekly depending on how severe/mild your symptoms are,so maybe,yes,see another Dr x

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 01:02:44 PM »

Are you able to order HRT from an online pharmacy?
Vagifem is only for topical use and won't help with your other menopause symptoms, unfortunately.

Only a doctor who doesn't suffer herself from the catastrophic symptoms of menopause would not believe in HRT, just taking herbs will not help!

I am on Vagifem alone and it works brilliantly for me, but I don't suffer from any other symptoms of the menopause.