Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Red face  (Read 1950 times)

applejack

Red face
« on: October 14, 2022, 12:15:58 PM »

Hi

have done a search on here for red face but there seem to be lots of different varieties which don't quite match what I'm experiencing.

I have no lumps or bumps, but lately my skin has felt hot and "tight" and when I look in the mirror it's red in patches (or all over sometimes) and slightly itchy. I've noticed some people have recommended the clinique range which I'm going to investigate, but is this one of those menopausal symptoms again? I don't know if it's rosacea as that seems to be cheeks and bumps whereas this is a kind of all over thing with no discernible bumpiness. I'm constantly putting my hands to my cheeks to cool them down, it's really aggravating me now as it's ok in my office on my own but I'm going to a family dinner in a few weeks and I'm feeling self conscious already.  No hot flushes or anything I've got those under control with HRT.

Any help appreciated

Ayesha

Re: Red face
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 01:49:06 PM »

When I first started the menopause, it was my neck that started to go red, and stay red, before any other symptoms began.
It was definitely a symptom of the menopause and over the years it disappeared when other symptoms like hot flushes started. My saying at the time was, when you think it's all over it isn't, it's the start of something new, unfortunately!

If I remember I used to use a yellow concealer to hide the redness.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 03:08:02 PM »

I'd be very careful what I put on my face if like you're saying it's itchy,Clinique is quite expensive,if it turns out to aggravate the skin more,always check for alcohol and fragrance in the ingredients as this can irritate x

laszla

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 12:57:18 PM »

I have something similar and would recommend probiotics for the inside (skin issues nearly always linked to gut biome) and LaRoche Posay for the outside, especially the Toleriane range

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 04:37:26 PM »

I've had rosacea for five years and though it ended up bumpy it started off as a just a red, burning face. It might be worth getting a proper diagnosis. This is the best info I found about the early stages https://www.rosacea.org/patients/all-about-rosacea.

Taz x

applejack

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 09:45:29 AM »

Thanks everyone, think I'll get a diagnosis from the doc (although their econsult isn't working at the moment - gah!).

I've seen some reviews for the LaRoche which are fairly positive so may try that.

I do remember when I had a vitreous detachment last year that the optician said he thought I had rosacea around the eyes (they get very irritated every so often and sting like crazy), but at that point my face was as it has always been. He suggested laser treatment on the skin but because they offer it I assumed he was trying to do a sales job so didn't bother. Also it's insanely expensive.

I just asked my partner if he thought my face was red and he said "oh goodness, that's quite noticeable" (thanks for putting it so diplomatically, love!). I think because it's now bothering me I try to convince myself it's not that bad so he probably gave me the kick I need. At least if he can see it (his head is in the clouds most of the time) then a doctor presumably will so worth going.

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 01:32:37 PM »

Ah yes,the diplomacy of men  ;D
Hope you get it sorted though,do you try to cover it with foundation at all or is that not an option?

applejack

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 01:47:48 PM »

I don't use foundation normally, just moisturiser.

I do use powder if I'm going out and I just put some on now and it toned it down very slightly ("hmmm, a bit, but not much" he said, helpfully). I've looked up barefaced minerals and they do some powders which they claim can be tolerated by people with rosacea but the one I would go for is out of stock. Typical.

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 06:02:16 PM »

JML mineral magic powder is amazing,it has beads of green and yellow and it has fabulous cover,have a little look at it,see if it's any good for you x

applejack

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 12:08:31 PM »

oh thank you!

laszla

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2022, 01:47:42 PM »

To disguise the redness I'd highly recommend Erborian Red Correct CC cream - it goes on pale green but then blends beautifully with your skin tone and counteracts the redness.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 06:17:45 PM »

I use a concealer to cover any redness, then swipe Guerlain Terracotta bronzer all over.
Add on some blusher, good to go.
Elemis is skin friendly. Im using the super food range at the moment,  which is good because I have very sensitive skin, with the odd eczema outbreak.

Let us know what the doc thinks. xx

applejack

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 09:40:55 AM »

Thank you all so much!