Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Antibiotics  (Read 3964 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Antibiotics
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2022, 05:55:48 PM »

Natural doesn't necessarily mean 'live' ;-).

Better to avoid sepsis.  Your GP won't be involved if the dentist has prescribed, there doesn't seem to be any cross over advice available.  How has it been today?

When I had my first implant surgery I had ABs for 3 weeks prior to it being done, though I didn't take them all: I think I managed 3/4 days with a break of 2 to avoid any possible spread of infection.

Gnatty

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2022, 07:09:53 PM »

Well I would be surprised to find natural yoghurt on the shelf that doesn't have bacteria in it these days.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 07:31:42 PM »

I swear by the Greek 'live' plain.  I remember when yoghurt first appeared and I couldn't think about tasting it  ::) - once I had done though  8)

getting_old

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 04:56:08 PM »

I remember my first time taking antibiotics as an adult  :'(  Since then I've always been wary, so if I'm prescribed them I always quiz the pharmacist about possible side effects, best time to take, etc. In most cases it seems to be better to take with food, so at the end of a meal, and I also eat yogurt and take probiotics to help with the gut bacteria.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2022, 06:21:06 PM »

Tnx growing-old !

KaraShannon

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2022, 01:36:41 PM »

Antibiotics are designed to specifically treat an infection in a particular part of the body and Metronidazole is used to treat tooth infections, and I have to say that dentists are very fond of prescribing them.

A few years ago I had a tooth infection, after a week of taking Metronidazole, I suffered severe diarrhoea so bad I had to return from holiday.
I went through all the tests, the poking about, the two weeks waiting for an urgent hospital appointment and nothing sinister was found, the antibiotics had totally messed with my stomach.

When the dentist suggested antibiotics after another infection I refused, the infection cleared up on its own with the help of a mouth wash. I will never take Metronidazole again, but I have taken other antibiotics for other infections I have suffered.

Sorry if it all sounds dramatic but that's what happened to me, it might be completely different for you, KaraShannon. X

That's put me off good and proper  ;D (not laughing at what happened to you, that's awful, just at me and my medical angst)

I actually got this infection well under control on Thursday, but then yesterday lots of stress with taking my mother to the hospital (all is fine it was routine) and not keeping up with the rinses, etc, and it was worse again yesterday with a bit of a glowy temperature (not registering on thermometer but feeling it)

Better once more today, so will try again with regular rinsing with TCP and baking soda.  The tooth doesn't feel that bad, its more me.  But I've done a covid test twice and its negative.

KaraShannon

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 01:41:29 PM »

I too do worry about antibiotics as I am allergic to many of them. Luckily I can take penicillin still. I was very worried about using metronidazole but I had no problems at all with it. I took it with a really large glass of water and didn't even have nausea. It cleared up my tooth infection. I think you have to weigh up the pros and cons. If, like me, you have allergies to some antibiotics then be aware of early signs of allergy but it's usually the second time of using a certain antibiotic which causes the problem. You could not take it of course but if the infection develops you might need even more antibiotics.

Taz x

And this makes me feel so much better  ;D

Did you have any stomach problems later on in the month Taz, do you remember?  I remember getting gastro enteritis and it was bad when I was young and the doctor said a course of antibiotics probably contributed to it.  He did also say that I probably would never have a severe bout like that again in my life, but I don't focus on that  ::)

KaraShannon

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 01:56:07 PM »

Hi KaraShannon

Sorry that you have this dilemma and health anxiety with it all, hopefully you will get some appropriate professional advice soon.

It’s fine to do the frankincense in this way but your not supposed to swallow it, but doesn’t matter if a tiny bit goes down.

So I just have some water after the application, swill my mouth around and spit the water out.

But if the infection is serious I’m not so sure this would work so you may need the AB’s I’m afraid.

It’s a good idea after you take any antibiotic to take some probiotics for awhile afterwards.

Good luck and keep in touch and let us know how you get on. xx

I will, thanks Marchlove. 

I'm feeling a lot better and so is the tooth but here and there a slight temperature.  I think it's getting less and it's not registering on the thermometer, I'm just feeling it.  So I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully I can get rid of this myself.  I have the antibiotics on standby. 

I thought I got rid of it yesterday but had a day of taking my mother to hospital etc (routine), and I think I let it all slip then, just when I was improving.

KaraShannon

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2022, 01:58:19 PM »

I agree, sometimes you do just need antibiotics. And exactly that eat plenty of whole natural yoghurt, fermented food eg sauerkraut lots of veg and you will be fine!

Agree Gnatty.  Unfortunately I have a bad reaction to tyramine in fermented food, which is a dangerous reaction, so I can't do that.  But yoghurt is fine and I suppose so are probiotic supplements. 

KaraShannon

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2022, 02:07:12 PM »

Natural doesn't necessarily mean 'live' ;-).

Better to avoid sepsis.  Your GP won't be involved if the dentist has prescribed, there doesn't seem to be any cross over advice available.  How has it been today?

When I had my first implant surgery I had ABs for 3 weeks prior to it being done, though I didn't take them all: I think I managed 3/4 days with a break of 2 to avoid any possible spread of infection.

Thanks CLKD

My old GP would have told me the likelihood of the antibiotic having any bad effects, he'd have looked in my history to see if I had it before, given me his experiences with many patients.  He's retired and sadly our practice is not the same due to the lack of resources. 

My infection isn't too bad, but someone else may have ended up in A&E with sepsis, because they tried to get help for their anxiety from the doctor as they knew the seriousness of the situation, but were turned away.  People are falling through the cracks in the system.

KaraShannon

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 02:09:02 PM »

I remember my first time taking antibiotics as an adult  :'(  Since then I've always been wary, so if I'm prescribed them I always quiz the pharmacist about possible side effects, best time to take, etc. In most cases it seems to be better to take with food, so at the end of a meal, and I also eat yogurt and take probiotics to help with the gut bacteria.

Thanks  :)  I'll definitely take with food if I have to go that route.
Pages: 1 [2]