Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Antibiotics  (Read 3964 times)

KaraShannon

Antibiotics
« on: October 20, 2022, 12:35:04 AM »

Hi all

Has anyone got any good or ok stories about taking Metronidazole?  (antibiotic). 

I have a tooth infection and despite all attempts to clear it naturally it's not working.  I usually manage to clear infections myself but a relative was rushed to hospital last week and while he was fine ultimately (it turned out not to be serious), it brought back a lot of past issues for me.  I think that's what brought me down.  The tooth had a chip in it from long ago and it was filled but started playing up again. Dentist is in 3 weeks but they've supplied antibiotics. 

I'm an emetophobe and have other reasons for not wanting to take them unless absolutely necessary. 

Am I being OTT.  I'm worried about side effects, already not feeling too brilliant with hormonal stuff.

Flossieteacake

Re: Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 05:11:23 AM »

I can understand you feel anxious. I dont know if this helps but I felt so bad with a sinus infection for a month. I finally got antibiotics and it cleared it up right away and the infection went.

Tooth infection is so painful and if taking antibiotics gets rid if it you will feel so much better.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 06:20:10 AM »

Hi Emetophobe - I can never compete a course as they affect my gut = nausea. 

Recently I had intense pain after surgical intervention on the socket next to a tooth.  I took Paracetamol and Nurofen regularly which helped a lot.  I had to keep a list though of when I swallowed each dose  ::)

Some dentists won't intervene unless ABs have been taken as it lessens the risk of infection travelling through the body if a tooth is pulled.  How many days dose have U you been given?

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 06:47:04 AM »

Hi KaraShannon

Sorry to hear of your concerns about taking antibiotics, I quite understand and try and avoid them also.

I’ve had success a few times with frankincense oil. A couple of drops rubbed on gums both side of infected tooth 2/3 times a day.  My cousin is prone to toothache and she uses this too.

M x

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 11:20:26 AM »

Hi KaraShannon

Sorry to hear of your concerns about taking antibiotics, I quite understand and try and avoid them also.

I’ve had success a few times with frankincense oil. A couple of drops rubbed on gums both side of infected tooth 2/3 times a day.  My cousin is prone to toothache and she uses this too.

M x

Marchlove,

thanks I have frankincense oil, but I thought it was poisonous.  I guess I'm wrong about that?  Or at least not in small doses?

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 11:28:41 AM »

The Update is:

I contacted my surgery with a brief message to explain my anxiety.  Apologised for taking up time but asked if they would be able to fit me in for a 5 min call in the next 48 hours, just wondering if someone could allay my fears about taking the drug. 

Reception called back and said they cannot do anything as this is a dental issue. 

So I contact the dentist and say I'm unable to take the antibiotic?  I know it sounds crazy but this is what anxiety is.  I've seen my mother go into anaphylaxis on penicillin.  What is the dentist going to do?  Maybe he can allay my fears.  I don't think it's his remit though, I'm sure anxiety is my doctor's remit.

Doctor's used to talk to their patients.  My old doctor would have helped and I'd probably be taking them instead of risking sepsis.  I know they are really busy but I am their patient and they have assisted with similar anxiety in the past.  The dentist deals with teeth only.  I am not disturbing them about anything usually.  I'm still waiting to talk to the doctor about my HRT.

Sorry everyone, as you can see I'm in something of a knot and will have to untangle myself.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 11:36:33 AM »

I am really sorry the DR would not talk to you about this. From what you saw with your mother it is understandable you have anxiety over taking antibiotics. That must have been so frightening for you to witness. I hope the dentist can talk to you about your concerns over taking the antibiotic.

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 11:38:30 AM »

I can understand you feel anxious. I dont know if this helps but I felt so bad with a sinus infection for a month. I finally got antibiotics and it cleared it up right away and the infection went.

Tooth infection is so painful and if taking antibiotics gets rid if it you will feel so much better.

Thanks Flossieteacake

I will try and get out today and chat to a pharmacist, see if they can help with my anxiety about them.  Yesterday I had a temperature and didn't even feel like going out.  Hopefully today will be better.

KaraShannon

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 11:39:32 AM »

Thanks Flossieteacake

We posted at the same time.  I'll try both dentist and pharmacist.  I'm making a song and dance over it I know.  ::)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 11:41:51 AM »

Thanks Flossieteacake

We posted at the same time.  I'll try both dentist and pharmacist.  I'm making a song and dance over it I know.  ::)

I do not think you are making a song and dance about this. We cannot help having fears and phobias. I hope the pharmacist can talk this through to help reassure you.

KaraShannon

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 11:42:50 AM »

Hi Emetophobe - I can never compete a course as they affect my gut = nausea. 

Recently I had intense pain after surgical intervention on the socket next to a tooth.  I took Paracetamol and Nurofen regularly which helped a lot.  I had to keep a list though of when I swallowed each dose  ::)

Some dentists won't intervene unless ABs have been taken as it lessens the risk of infection travelling through the body if a tooth is pulled.  How many days dose have U you been given?

Hi Emetophobe   ::)

You know I think anything that causes sickness is not 'nothing,' even for people who are not phobic of it.  So a little help from those prescribing medication like this is, in my view, important.

He's given me 5 days but told me you only have to take for 3 days, but I have more should I need them if it returns before any appointment.

Ayesha

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 01:30:29 PM »

Antibiotics are designed to specifically treat an infection in a particular part of the body and Metronidazole is used to treat tooth infections, and I have to say that dentists are very fond of prescribing them.

A few years ago I had a tooth infection, after a week of taking Metronidazole, I suffered severe diarrhoea so bad I had to return from holiday.
I went through all the tests, the poking about, the two weeks waiting for an urgent hospital appointment and nothing sinister was found, the antibiotics had totally messed with my stomach.

When the dentist suggested antibiotics after another infection I refused, the infection cleared up on its own with the help of a mouth wash. I will never take Metronidazole again, but I have taken other antibiotics for other infections I have suffered.

Sorry if it all sounds dramatic but that's what happened to me, it might be completely different for you, KaraShannon. X

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 03:38:20 PM »

I too do worry about antibiotics as I am allergic to many of them. Luckily I can take penicillin still. I was very worried about using metronidazole but I had no problems at all with it. I took it with a really large glass of water and didn't even have nausea. It cleared up my tooth infection. I think you have to weigh up the pros and cons. If, like me, you have allergies to some antibiotics then be aware of early signs of allergy but it's usually the second time of using a certain antibiotic which causes the problem. You could not take it of course but if the infection develops you might need even more antibiotics.

Taz x

Marchlove

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 04:00:21 PM »

Hi KaraShannon

Sorry that you have this dilemma and health anxiety with it all, hopefully you will get some appropriate professional advice soon.

It’s fine to do the frankincense in this way but your not supposed to swallow it, but doesn’t matter if a tiny bit goes down.

So I just have some water after the application, swill my mouth around and spit the water out.

But if the infection is serious I’m not so sure this would work so you may need the AB’s I’m afraid.

It’s a good idea after you take any antibiotic to take some probiotics for awhile afterwards.

Good luck and keep in touch and let us know how you get on. xx

Gnatty

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 04:21:08 PM »

I agree, sometimes you do just need antibiotics. And exactly that eat plenty of whole natural yoghurt, fermented food eg sauerkraut lots of veg and you will be fine!
Pages: [1] 2