Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Postcode Lottery of Menopause Care  (Read 678 times)

Ayesha

Postcode Lottery of Menopause Care
« on: October 18, 2022, 02:56:11 PM »

I don't think I will be moving out of London soon! Interesting BBC report on the availability of HRT in the different regions of the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62849438

Joaniepat

Re: Postcode Lottery of Menopause Care
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 03:20:19 PM »

Thanks for posting Ayesha. An appropriate post for World Menopause Day!
JP x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 04:42:27 PM »

I read this today. It is so sad treatment depends on where a person lives.  :(

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 07:46:44 PM »

The thing is - the article spoke about the CCG lists, but the most important thing to know is that these lists mean nothing! Well what I mean is that even if the lists vary, docs can prescribe any licensed HRT provided they give a reason on your notes. None of the HRT I have ever had in 15 years (not counting vaginal oestrogen which isn't reallly HRT as such - as it is generally understood anyway) has been on our CCG prescribing list (well I've no idea how many years they go back, but at least when I last looked!).  So it's up to us to push for what we want with a reason - and I do realise this is not easy for some women who put their hands in their doctors - so effectively there is a lottery, but which could be challenged by each woman if she could.

Also I see a crude comparison between spending was made citing Leicester as low - but other factors may be at play here because Leicester has a high population of BAEM  - and it may be that culturally these women may not seek HRT so the reduced spending may not actually be a reflection of the attitude of that region.

I think it is a bit scaremongering to be honest and I think there  may be a greater difference between actual doctros and GP practices than regions, and maybe a reflection of how well versed in menopause both the GPs and the women are? Certainly more education is needed!

Hurdity x

Marchlove

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 09:12:00 PM »

I think Hurdity the CCG have far more influence than in years gone by. M x