Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estrogen Patches  (Read 856 times)

discogirl

Estrogen Patches
« on: October 18, 2022, 04:01:30 PM »

Hi,

I could do with a bit of help again. As some of you may know my meno journey, I'm post meno, (4yrs ish), I started HRT in august, main symptoms were really bad anxiety, low mood and insomnia.

I started on 25mcg estraderm, 100g utrogestan PV. I increased patches to 37.5 on 13th September.

A couple of weeks ago I could only get 50mcg patches so my gp said try the 50's I tried them for a couple of days but felt wired for a couple of days and literally did not sleep at all, so I went back down to 37.5mcg.

Problem is, my sleep is getting better at a snails' pace, half of the week, I get 7hrs the other half 4 - 5hrs sleep.

But my anxiety is sooo very very bad at the moment. it's got to the point now where i cannot go out on my own, need to have OH with me. (not at all like me)

What I'm wondering is, I think I haven't been giving the increase in patches long enough. However, I understand that some women say to go low and slow and that post meno ladies dont' need as much estrogen, and others who say that you need as much as you need.

My plan is to stick with the 37.5mcg for the moment come what may as I think I just need a bit of consistency, what do others think about going up to 50mcg patches and when do you think I should do that.

I'm a bit concerned as when i cut the patches they're obviously not accurate everytime and I'm worried that the fluctuations may not be helping me either when I cut them.

sorry for the long post and thank you if you've read this far!!!!

Flossieteacake

Re: Estrogen Patches
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 04:40:36 PM »

I can understand your concerns. Personally, I like the way you are doing this slowly as you seem quite sensitive to any changes. It is very frustrating your sleep is not consistent and your anxiety is back but I know you felt even worse when you increased to 50. I guess if you look at the pros and cons and see which is the best outcome here. You have not been on the lower dose for very long and you mentioned it seemed to reduce the jittery feeling which I would say is a very good thing.

I am so sorry your anxiety is so bad you cannot go out. That really is horrible for you. Is it possible you could take an antianxiety medication? Apologises if you have said before, my memory is awful.

I understand the concerns about cutting the patches not being 100% accurate but I think the difference will be so small it should not have any effect.

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 05:31:23 PM »

you always make me feel better flossieteacake. i so much appreciate your reply.

you are right i have only been on 37.5mcg since 13th sept which is just over 1 mth. thing is ive been on hrt since end of august and i suppose i was expecting things to change a bit more xxxx

hope your ok flossieteacake xxxx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 05:58:17 PM »

you always make me feel better flossieteacake. i so much appreciate your reply.

you are right i have only been on 37.5mcg since 13th sept which is just over 1 mth. thing is ive been on hrt since end of august and i suppose i was expecting things to change a bit more xxxx

hope your ok flossieteacake xxxx

It is so nice I make you feel better. :)

I can understand you wanting to see more improvements. I think 2 months is still very early. I know it is horrid waiting but you if you give it a bit more time then you may feel so much better. 2 months is not very long for your body to get used to the changes.

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 06:16:45 PM »

Hi Discogirl sleep was the last of my symptoms to get sorted. It’s quite normal to have good nights and bad nights, until one day you realise that you’re having more good nights

Everything for me was two steps forward and one step back until my body stabilised. Once I was on the right dose I felt much better after a month and the improvements carried on for the next 3-6 months.

37.5 is a very low dose. A usual starting dose is 50 and you may need more. X

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 06:24:34 PM »

flossieteacake and dotty

my two lovely friends and such good advice. yes your right flossie 2 mths isnt long patience is not one of my virtues.

dotty thank you what you have said about sleep has helped me so much and at least i still have room to increase my patch should i need to.

thank you both from the bottom of my heart for taking the time xxxx

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 06:32:27 PM »

flossieteacake and dotty

my two lovely friends and such good advice. yes your right flossie 2 mths isnt long patience is not one of my virtues.

dotty thank you what you have said about sleep has helped me so much and at least i still have room to increase my patch should i need to.

Aw you are so welcome. That is what the forum is for. :)

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 07:15:32 PM »

Hi Discogirl sleep was the last of my symptoms to get sorted. It’s quite normal to have good nights and bad nights, until one day you realise that you’re having more good nights

Everything for me was two steps forward and one step back until my body stabilised. Once I was on the right dose I felt much better after a month and the improvements carried on for the next 3-6 months.

37.5 is a very low dose. A usual starting dose is 50 and you may need more. X

:thankyou:

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2022, 07:16:12 PM »

flossieteacake and dotty

:thankyou: (I found the thank you thingy Flossie xxxx)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 10:07:06 AM »

flossieteacake and dotty

:thankyou: (I found the thank you thingy Flossie xxxx)

Haha well done!  ;D