Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan externally?!  (Read 685 times)

NeverTooOld

Utrogestan externally?!
« on: October 18, 2022, 09:34:28 AM »

Hi, just wondering if anyone has tried using Utrogestan externally, by that I mean snipping the capsule and rubbing the creamy substance into upper forearm or inner thigh?

I started on my HRT journey nearly a year ago taking 1 Utrogestan every night continuously as I was post menopausal, together with 2 pumps of oestrogel in the morning. However after a few month my heartburn/GERD got really bad so after reading various posts on here I am now using Utrogestan vaginally at night every other day and splitting my Oestrogel morning and night.

My stomach symptoms have diminished slightly, which is good but have not gone altogether.

However I do find using Utrogestan vaginally causes leakage. I do use a towel but when it comes to being intimate with my husband, usually on a day i have not used Utrogestan it is, and I apologise now for painting a not too pleasant picture, messy, and there seems to be a lot of residue of the capsule 'up there' even after the following day of using it.

Which got me to wonder whether it was possible to rub the contents of the capsule on your skin instead and still get the full effect of the progesterone? I did try a tiny amount and it seems to rub in really easily. I can't help but think it is the actual capsule casing that is the messy bit which takes forever to break down.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 09:44:38 AM by Funkylady »

Mary G

Re: Utrogestan externally?!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 11:47:28 AM »

That is certainly a very interesting idea.  I would suggest you either put it on upper, inner thighs or inside forearm.  What dose are you using?   Be prepared to increase to 200mg if necessary (it is probably weaker transdermally) and it would be a good idea to have a transvaginal scan in a few months to gauge how it's working.

In a quest to save money, I'm currently trialling Darstin progesterone gel @ 50mg every day and so far so good.  I will not know if it's been successful until I have a uterine scan in December.  Alternatively, I might suddenly bleed which would suggest lining build up.

I'm always happy to try new products.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

PS I have posted this on both your threads.

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan externally?!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 06:47:52 PM »

Hi nevertooold

Sorry to hear about your ongoing woes and I do understand about intimacy and utrogestan if this happens frequently. That is why many vaginal utrogestan users in an intimate relationship tend to use if cyclically.

Which got me to wonder whether it was possible to rub the contents of the capsule on your skin instead and still get the full effect of the progesterone?

Nice idea but absolutely not!! It is not designed to be absorbed in this way at all.  Each product is designed to be taken in the way it is prescribed and you will most certainly not get anywhere near enough progesterone - if any, by doing this. PLEASE DON'T! Nor anyone else who read this post!

Ideally also you would be using a higher dose than 1 on alternate nights as this is below the licensed dose - which is 100 mg every night - even though some research suggests that a reduced dose may be possible when taken vaginally. Initially it should be daily to see how you get on.

Depending whether you've had children and how many, you might try inserting the utrogestan earlier in the day eg in the morning. Or maybe after the intimate act .

Yes it (the utro excess) does leak out to some extent the next day and overnight, but wearing a panti-liner deals with this.

All the best and I hope you sort something out that works - but DO make sure you continue to protect your endometrium with the licensed dose of utrogestan, or if a reduced dose ( eg alternate nights or days) then under medical supervision with regular scans to check on endometrial thickness.

Hurdity x