Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Radical Hysterectomy, PCOS and Hair Loss  (Read 718 times)

amandapope

Radical Hysterectomy, PCOS and Hair Loss
« on: October 18, 2022, 10:22:59 AM »

I have just come home from a visit to the GP who was no help, so I am hoping that someone on this lovely forum will have been in my shoes and be able to offer some advice.

I am 56, had a PCOS diagnosis as a young adult, controlled by taking the oral contraceptive.  I had to have a radical hysterectomy in 2016 (everything removed) and have been on low dose oestrogen since (1mg). 

I have quite bad anxiety, which I never had before ….but I am now suffering from female pattern hair loss.  I have read that progesterone can have an anti androgen effect, ie, help to deal with excess male hormones which could be causing the hair loss but my GP says they don’t know anything about this and can’t therefore prescribe.  The GP basically said stop taking the oestrogen only HRT but surely this will make it worse if I have excessive male hormones. 

If anyone has had the unfortunate combination of PCOS and radical hysterectomy and has any words of wisdom I would be so grateful.

Marchlove

Re: Radical Hysterectomy, PCOS and Hair Loss
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 11:07:45 AM »

Hi Amandapope

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t have any experience of PCOS, but have read quite a bit about it in Lara Briden’s books.
She highly recommends progesterone for PCOS

https://www.larabriden.com/cyclic-progesterone-therapy-for-pcos/

You could try printing out as many articles/studies to give to your GP to hopefully change his mind. If this doesn’t work you could perhaps try and see another GP, or failing that ask for a referral to a menopause clinic.

In the meantime you could buy some otc progesterone cream online (dosage 20-40mg) and see if that helps.

The progesterone should also help with anxiety.

I highly recommend you read Lara Briden’s book Hormone Repair Manual.

Good luck

M x

Marchlove

amandapope

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 12:36:49 PM »

Thank you!  I think the stumbling block is that following hysterectomy you are normally prescribed oestrogen only HRT because you don’t need progesterone to protect the uterus.  The GP had never heard of a combination HRT being prescribed post surgery and wasn’t prepared to do it, but has said she will take advice from colleagues. 

Dada39

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 01:27:54 PM »

Hi Amanda Hope,
Welcom to'the forum. Did they took the ovaries?

amandapope

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 03:45:24 PM »

Thanks Dada39, yes, both ovaries removed. 

Marchlove

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 06:38:08 PM »

Hi Amandapope

Yes indeed that is the stumbling block in the uk but not so much in the States!

You might not succeed but it’s worth a go. If not the cream would be a good option.

Mx