Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: First post….sailed through the menopause but now!!!!  (Read 2203 times)

Lrlrip

• First Flush
First post….sailed through the menopause but now!!!!
« on: October 13, 2022, 09:20:57 PM »

I sailed through the menopause compared to friends. I can’t even remember when I had my last period maybe 7/8 years ago.

About 6 months ago I felt very uncomfortable round the tops of my legs and in pubic hair area. No itching, nothing to be seen just irritation.

I thought it was maybe the hot weather initially. Then I went through the soap/washing powder/shower gel etc but again couldn’t find anything.

I had just started aqua aerobics so thought it could have been the chlorine but no worse just after I had been.

I went to the local surgery and was prescribed Daktarin, Dermol soap substitute and an emollient by the nurse.

Four weeks later I started to get this ****ly sensation so went back to the gp who prescribed Ovestin for external use. It seemed to work but I was back for something else this week and mentioned it again as it had started again. Sometimes I feel like I am being stung or my hairs are getting plucked 🤦🏻‍♀️

My gp just said it’s my age that was it!!!

If you have had this does it go away with treatment or is this now for life?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 09:33:00 PM by Lrlrip »

Joaniepat

Re: First post….sailed through the menopause but now!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 10:24:10 PM »

So if you have VA, this needs lifelong maintenance treatment. There are lots of threads on the forum about this. You could try an emollient (eg Hydromol, Epaderm) or vaginal moisturiser (have a look at the Yes products online) on the labia, at a different time of day from the Ovestin.
JP x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 08:27:54 AM »

Hello Lririp and welcome to the forum. Your GP is ignorant to say you should just accept this as age related! You have vaginal atrophy and like Joaniepat says, this needs to be treated for life. I use Ovestin every single day and if I have days I feel worse then I use it twice a day. It helps to apply a bit to the outer area as well as insert it. You can mix a little with vaginal moisuriser before applying it to the outer area as it helps it to spread a little easier.

Minusminnie

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 08:34:30 AM »

This is some advise on the Vulval Pain Society website for daily care.
https://vulvalpainsociety.org/get-support/advice-for-daily-life/

They suggest a barrier cream before swimming if that would help you.  Not sure that the petroleum jelly they advise is such a good idea just my experience but we are all different.

I use a Yes Intimate Wash in the shower which is gentle and Ovestin on the labia. You may need to give the Ovestin a bit of time to work.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 09:41:02 AM »

Welcome.

It can be Trial and Error when symptoms arrive. 

Is there any discomfort internally?  Do you need to pee more often?  Vaginal atrophy can be treated with internal and external 'vagifem' and 'ovestin' plus Sylc or Yes products which are good moistorisors when necessary.

However, if sensations are at the tops of the legs and pubic hair region, you may have referred back pain.  Your GP should refer you to an Orthopaedic Surgeon for appropriate X-rays to rule out referred pain.

U could see a physiotherapist who deals with womens' health which would cover VA and any spinal problems.  Let us know how you get on.

Lrlrip

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 12:28:20 PM »

So if you have VA, this needs lifelong maintenance treatment. There are lots of threads on the forum about this. You could try an emollient (eg Hydromol, Epaderm) or vaginal moisturiser (have a look at the Yes products online) on the labia, at a different time of day from the Ovestin.
JP x

Thank you. I was prescribed Hydromol along with the Ovestin.

Lrlrip

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 12:29:05 PM »

Hello Lririp and welcome to the forum. Your GP is ignorant to say you should just accept this as age related! You have vaginal atrophy and like Joaniepat says, this needs to be treated for life. I use Ovestin every single day and if I have days I feel worse then I use it twice a day. It helps to apply a bit to the outer area as well as insert it. You can mix a little with vaginal moisuriser before applying it to the outer area as it helps it to spread a little easier.

Thank you. I have only to apply it externally.

Lrlrip

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 12:38:39 PM »

Welcome.

It can be Trial and Error when symptoms arrive. 

Is there any discomfort internally?  There is no internal discomfort .

Do you need to pee more often?  No

Vaginal atrophy can be treated with internal and external 'vagifem' and 'ovestin' plus Sylc or Yes products which are good moistorisors when necessary.

[size=78%]I[/size][/size][size=78%] have been prescribed Ovestin for external use.[/size]

However, if sensations are at the tops of the legs and pubic hair region, you may have referred back pain.  Your GP should refer you to an Orthopaedic Surgeon for appropriate X-rays to rule out referred pain.

This is interesting. I had initially gone to the doctors with aches in my hips. This is nothing new I have been like this for years. She said I had a curve at the bottom of my spine and referred me to a physiotherapist for exercises. Within weeks of getting physio and going to hydro fit water exercises this started.

U could see a physiotherapist who deals with womens' health which would cover VA and any spinal problems.  Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

Lrlrip

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 12:47:09 PM »

This is some advise on the Vulval Pain Society website for daily care.
https://vulvalpainsociety.org/get-support/advice-for-daily-life/

They suggest a barrier cream before swimming if that would help you.  Not sure that the petroleum jelly they advise is such a good idea just my experience but we are all different.

I use a Yes Intimate Wash in the shower which is gentle and Ovestin on the labia. You may need to give the Ovestin a bit of time to work.

Thank you  for the link. I will start using a barrier cream before swimming and have been prescribed Dermol to use in the shower.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »

Bump for new members

Doodle

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 05:37:48 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 06:58:30 PM »

Your head will be whirling ............  ;D