Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 1474 times)

HellenH

• First Flush
Utrogestan
« on: October 11, 2022, 06:34:20 PM »

Hi everyone,
I'm new here, and also new to hrt. I've just been given Sandrena 0.5 gel and utrogestan tablets 100 mg 2 tablets from days 15 to 28. I've read that utrogestan can make you drowsy which whilst I would like to sleep a full night I didn't really want to feel groggy. I was wondering if anyone has used it vaginally? Would I need to ask for a pessary? I'm assuming you can't use the tablets that way? Sorry if I sound stupid, honestly it took me long enough to work out how it worked! I had 1 call with my doctor who said my script would be at the chemist - and that was it!! 😳
If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful. I do feel like I've fallen off a huge cliff and I'm struggling both at home and at work, feeling just a bit lost and hoping this will help!
Thanks for listening! 😊

Dotty

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 06:49:38 PM »

Hi and welcome  :)

I take Utrogestan orally with no problems and so do loads of ladies. Try not to worry about it. If you take it vaginally it’s the same capsules . x

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 06:53:17 PM »

Hi Helen

Welcome to the forum.

You take the Utrogestan at night which in most people gives them  a good nights sleep with minimal drowsiness the next day.
So start by doing it this way but if you have issues then take the same capsule vaginally at night.
If you take it vaginally you only need to use one capsule.

Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you get on

M xx

HellenH

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 07:30:41 PM »

Thanks so much both for your help! 😊 I really hope it helps, my lack of sleep, night sweats and brain fog does really make me think I'm going mad at the moment! Fingers crossed! 🤞

EmzHormones

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »

Hey. I took Utrogestan and it never made me feel drowsy. Good luck 🤞

chucklesista

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 03:18:21 PM »

Hi and welcome aboard!

Taking the first step is scary isn't it.  I wanted to reassure you about Utrogestan - once I switched to taking it PV (polite way of saying vaginally lol) all was fine. I did have some digestive issues taking it orally tho.

I have read - somewhere reliable - that there are fewer side effects when you take it PV as it is absorbed directly rather than being metabolised via the helpful liver. Also - I don't have drowsiness from it although like yourself I got briefly excited about having a really good night's sleep  ;).

I understand Newsom clinics may reduce the dosage from 2 to 1 capsules on the regime you are prescribed. Presumably as they are private, scans to check for womb lining thickness and build-up are frequent.  Just wanted to mention that as utrogestan manufacturers only recommend 2 capsules to ensure womb lining stays good n' thin.

I hope your first shot at HRT works, but if it doesn't there are plenty more options.
Best wishes,
Chucklesista

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 03:28:44 PM »

Hi HellenH,

Welcome to the forum.

I also take utrogestan PV and have no issues and as chucklesista says there are fewer side effects taking it this way.

I was also quite scared when I started taking HRT in august and I'm so glad I'm on this forum, the help and support I get is really second to none.

xxxx

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »

I use it vaginally. It doesn't help me sleep at night but gives me fatigue in the day. You may be perfectly alright on it though, most people are.

HellenH

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 02:32:53 PM »

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all of the really helpful replies! I'm 3 days now with the Sandrena gel - nothing has changed as yet (still feel like I'm about to burst into flames every hour just about at night! 😂😂) and I'm giving my daughter hysterics when I flush like a cuttlefish through the day! 😂😂

I think I will try taking the utrogestan orally initially, see how it goes, but to the ladies who use it vaginally, do you use an applicator or can use just insert them the same as a suppository? (sorry about the content if this message, I really just want to make sure I'm doing it right!)

Thanks again, it's so good to know there are other people in the same boat!! 😊😊

chucklesista

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 05:11:36 PM »

hiya - i use (clean) finger, placing as high up as poss. Pessary applicators available eg on amazon etc but i went for the lowest faff option  ;)

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 11:51:46 PM »

Ummm... If you insert like a suppository it will be in the wrong orifice.  :o

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 08:48:42 AM »

Hello HelenH and welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to make the point that I am a patient of Newson Health and I have in the past used Utrogestan orally and vaginally without problems.  Although NH suggested that a scan may be a good idea they did not arrange one and I got the impression that is not a service they provide.

I know there are ladies on this site who have arranged their scans privately so if you wanted to learn more about that you could ask for here for advice.

As you can see you are not alone on this journey and I hope you begin to feel better soon.

Take care.

K.

Perinowpost

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 09:26:51 AM »

I have just had a scan privately at U********* D***** (not sure if I’m allowed to say where). It was £171 and had a special offer of 10% discount so was in fact less. In with this they also did a blood test for ovarian cancer. Hope this helps x