Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Periods and HRT  (Read 880 times)

Tulip123

Periods and HRT
« on: October 29, 2022, 02:57:50 PM »

Hi - I started Novofem HRT in August. It helped but I still had emotional and anxiety symptoms so last week my doctor switched me to a patch (Evorel 50) and Progesterone tablets 100mg for 25 days of the month.

When on Novofem, the first 2 periods were light and only lasted a couple of days. On the 3rd month, I got a period so heavy that I felt like I couldn't go out of the house. I also had terrible cramps like I've not had since I was really young. That period lasted much longer, around 9 days. I switched to the new patch and progesterone and now I have a period again. This is 21 days after the heavy period started and so only 12 days after it ended!

Is this to be expected?

I am hoping it will settle back to the 2-day light periods.

Dotty

Re: Periods and HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 03:48:34 PM »

Hi are you peri or post menopause ?

Tulip123

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 04:05:19 PM »

Hard to say because I was on the contraceptive pill for many years until very recently. Last year, I started to get a lot of emotional problems, anxiety, paranoia, etc and I had to come off the pill to have the FSH blood test. That blood test showed I was already menopausal but I don't know how accurate the blood tests are.

The GP said he couldn't prescribe an HRT that did not generate periods as I was not 50. :(

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 05:08:13 PM »

FSH blood test doesn’t prove menopause unfortunately. The only thing that proves menopause is 12 months without a period.

And your GP has given incorrect information. You can have a continuous HRT when yo7 are 12 months without a period regardless of age.

If you are in peri menopause you’d be better to take 200mg of Utrogestan for 12 days of each month on days 15-26 of your cycle. x 

Tulip123

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 06:01:22 PM »

Thanks - I have an appointment with the HRT Nurse on Tuesday. Up to now, I haven't been able to ask all the questions I need to ask because I either can't get a GP appointment at all or I only get a 5 min phone call. I have managed to book a double appointment with the HRT Nurse so I think it'll be good idea to write all my questions down before that.