Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel occasionally?  (Read 879 times)

Me

Oestrogel occasionally?
« on: October 02, 2022, 11:26:16 PM »

Since stopping hrt altogether because of extreme bloating and painful, heavy boobs amongst other things, as predicted my mood sometimes plummets and I have been getting really low.
On a few occasions I have had a pump of oestrogel, bearing in mind that it works very quickly for some symptoms and also seems to stop having an effect immediately when stopping, I have found that the occasional pump gives me a lift.  Does anyone else do this?
I had a pump today out of sheer desperation and it's almost like a pick-me-up.  I know if I start on the regime again, that feeling will wear off and then the boobs and bloating will start again so I have no desire to take it daily with the progesterone.
I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has  a quick snifter occasionally!! ;D :D

Marchlove

Re: Oestrogel occasionally?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 06:51:49 AM »

Hi Me

I don’t have and personal experience of this approach but I do have a friend who does something like this.

She takes 100mg of Utrogestan every night and one pump of oestrogel every two or three days in the morning.
She seems to be doing fine with this regime and says she feels no different on the days she takes it and the days she doesn’t.

Mx

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 07:24:16 AM »

Hello ladies

The consultant that I spoke to some time ago said that he had patients who were using small doses of Oestrogen every other day.

He also said that the women who had implants often complained of returning symptoms and asked for their implants to be replaced earlier than planned. This apparently didn't help and it turned out that they needed less Oestrogen, not more. He didn't elaborate on how this all worked but perhaps I will find  out more when I speak to him.

Take care ladies.

K.

Me

Re: Oestrogel occasionally? Once a fortnight??
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 11:24:17 AM »

thanks for you replies - will be interesting to hear what the HRT doc says.
I had another pump of oestrogel last night.  My mood was soooo low and I could feel myself getting really angry, just like last time.
Well, just like last time I slept and dreamed really deeply til about 3am (weird) but fell asleep again really easily and woke up feeling a million times more positive and less ill.
I have no idea if I am allowed to do this without taking any Utrogestan at all but it's working for me!

Rosie63

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 06:03:19 PM »

Hi.  I do something similar to this.  I can’t tolerate much Oestrogel but I do need some so I just use 1 pump when I feel I need it which at the moment is about twice a week and I use 100mg Utrogestan once a week.  I’ve no idea whether I’m doing a good or bad thing but it’s the only way I can cope with symptoms and side effects ! I’ve recently had a scan and endometrium wasn’t particularly thick.  I will tell GP when I next have a review.

Rosie63 xx

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 06:08:08 PM »

Never thought about using it every other day the few times I forgot my dose I ended up getting a type of break through bleeding so am now always cautious to take it daily.

Marchlove

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 06:47:29 PM »

Don’t think Gp’s will be too impressed as this is all off licence dosage which always scares them.
So be careful that they don’t stop your prescription.
I’m not saying you should or should not be doing this, but  as as long as we’re aware of any risks it’s individual choice.
Regular scans a must.

M x