Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Farmed salmon  (Read 1676 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Farmed salmon
« on: October 10, 2022, 05:11:26 PM »

How many of you consider where you food is bred, the air miles and storage of it: particularly when buying farmed salmon and trout from supermarkets.  It is causing intense pollution World Wide which has been apparent within the fishing clubs since the 1980s.  Simon Reeve in his recent programme whilst traellling in South America where the problems are the same: pollution, lice, added antibiotics as well as rotting food at the bottom of the cages. 

Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson) spent money on a farm but was so disgusted with the methods that he stopped. 

Salmon are a migratory fish and it's cruel to keep them in cages.  This type of fishing should stopped as it is un-natural; any escapees are upsetting the natural balance as well as interfering with natural breeding stocks.

Surely the public don't need salmon and trout in such amounts as to require fish in cages?  I'm not an activist but have watched during the last 15 years how various UK governments have taken very little notice of the amounts of pollution which is upsetting the over all balance of nature. 

Minusminnie

Re: Farmed salmon
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 04:31:20 PM »

I lived not far from the Severn as a child.  If my dad got hold of a salmon from someone it was a rare treat.  If it wasn't farmed i guess it would go back to that .... an occasional seasonal treat.
Maybe not a bad thing.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 05:55:51 PM »

Certainly would be less pollution.  It should be a treat and I think with money becoming tight for the next couple of years, we should enjoy treats. 

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 08:05:08 PM »

Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson) spent money on a farm but was so disgusted with the methods that he stopped. 

He made a good profit though. I thought he sold it when he was getting rid of the rest of the estate. I do agree that fish farms are not natural but neither are a lot of our food production practices.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 09:02:15 PM »

Having heard him talking at one of the Reunions he explained that he was more and more worried about the environmental impact.  Most of his money was made as Jethro Tull, he wanted something to fall back on when he had to retire.

It's the pollution aspect as well as caging migratory fish that angers me.  Now 'they' are talking about farming octopus  >:(