Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vaginal oestrogen and thrush?  (Read 1621 times)

jessieblue

Vaginal oestrogen and thrush?
« on: October 11, 2022, 07:49:49 AM »

Hello everyone, I am so grateful to have this space to come for help and support.  I posted a few months ago that I was going to start Blissell vaginal gel.  I have been unable to use topical oestrogen as it always caused inflammation and irritation or thrush like symptoms and uti symptoms.  However, my GP suggested blissell was gentler and I could start really slow and build up.  I will mention that I have awful health anxiety and any symptom or sensation is experienced as terminal and my mind likes to catstrophise.  I am really trying to manage this and having ongoing treatment.

So after doing 3 weeks loading of blissell and now 3 months later on 2 x weekly doses, I have become sore and irritated down there again.  I am having mild frequency and urgency and feeling like I have thrush.  I also use multigyn and coconut oil daily and have done for some time.  I am finding the multigyn is stinging at the moment, which usually means my PH is off.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced similar?  I am getting anxious about it and thinking I should stop the blissell maybe?  But I was doing so well and havent had any utis and really wanted to be able to use the topical oestrogen to help with avoiding them in the future. 

I know when I used YES moisturiser, I developed thrush and I am wondering if it is a side effect of having more moisture down there as that seems to be the case.  I have some canesten cream but dont want to rush to use lots of chemicals as before I ended up so terribly sore from too much intervention.

Just looking for some tips and reassurance I guess.

Thank you all once again. xx

Flossieteacake

Re: Vaginal oestrogen and thrush?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 08:33:12 AM »

I am really sorry you are experiencing this. You are in a very difficult situation because topical oestrogen is the only thing that can improve vaginal atrophy. You have used the bissell for 3 months without it irritating your skin so is it possible you have thrush and this is not to do with the bissell? I often get thrush and I believe it can be caused by being run down.

I wonder if it would help to get a swab test done to know if it is thrush. I understand that could take time though and you do not want to be left feeling sore while waiting.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 08:35:23 AM »

Hi it could be that using Blissel twice a week is not enough. My GP told me to use it every other day as my symptoms came back when I dropped to twice a week.

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 09:11:04 AM »

I would up the dosage to every night for a week or so and then reduce to every other day. Twice a week is rarely enough especially in the first few months of use when you need to build up the depleted estrogen, some use local estrogen daily all the time.
Also as it takes so long to get a doctors appointment and swabs for thrush I have just got an oral one tablet Caneston dose for thrush from the chemist. If it's thrush this sorts it in a few days and you haven't got the problem of mixing the thrush pessary or cream treatments with the Blissel gel.
You are using a lot of different products, I would just use the Blissel gel for the next week and then reintroduce the moisturiser but one at a time so you can tell if there is any irritation. 
In the meantime make an appointment with the  doctor, you can always cancel it if you're sorted before the appointment is due and wont have to wait too long if not.

jessieblue

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »

Thank you so much for all your comments.  I will try using a little more of the blissel gel.  I get really scared of these symptoms, anything like thrush irritation or uti symptoms.  I know it is not rational, but it is like my brain goes into panic mode that my body is faiing somehow.  I know this makes symptoms worse too.  The more I worry about needing to pee, the more I need to pee which is so annoying.

I sometimes really wish I had been born a man, they seem to have a lot less to go wrong down there eh? 

Thank you so much everyone. xx

Kate57

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 11:15:43 AM »

Hello Jessieblue,
I can sympathise with everything you said...I feel very much the same way when these awful symptoms start up. One other thing I have found helps when I feel very sore down below is to wear skirts/dress minus underwear if possible. No jeans or trousers.
I too use coconut oil and mult Gyne ...but not together ....also I have found that sometimes it's best just to stop the moisturisers and stick with the Blissel.
One other thing....no toilet paper!
I have found that wiping after a wee with a cotton hankie leaves me feeling less sore too.
Hope this helps and you soon settle down.
X