Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Jittery shaky feeling  (Read 3494 times)

Nik2502

Jittery shaky feeling
« on: October 09, 2022, 08:56:02 AM »

Morning ladies

I’m currently suffering with a jittery, anxious feeling all the time - like I’m going to have a panic attack but don’t feel anxious!

It’s worse when I wake up and wears off by the evening. 

I’ve recently cut my oestrogen down as wondered if I was on too much? So I’m now on 100 estradot and 5mg Provera.

Is this a menopause symptom? I’m 52.

It’s scary!

Thanks x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Jittery shaky feeling
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 10:57:19 AM »

Could be the drop in oestrogen, why did you alter the amount?

Or it could be low blood sugar, either due to not eating enough or the drop in oestrogen. 

I am shaky in the mornings until I've eaten.

Amazing grace

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 11:14:48 AM »

Hi, it's definitely a menopause symptom I've had it on and off, I'm really not sure what truly causes it, I've had it mostly under control but had a recent bout of it returning after increasing from 3 to 4 pumps of estrogel , it went away when I reduced back to 3 so that comfirmed it was too much estrogen for me, but to complicate things I've also had it on too low a dose of estrogen, its finding the right balance I guess, I hate the feeling though its hard to explain and I too felt on the verge of panic when it happens, I think it's a really common symptom so you are not alone with that feeling, hope it goes away for you soon as it is a horrible scary feeling, for me too it was worse in the morning and wearing off by the evening x

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 11:22:19 AM »

Could it be caffeine?

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 12:15:26 PM »

Hello ladies.

I have had this a lot and I hate it. I have never figured out if it is high or low Oestrogen but it is definitely hormonal. Mine also seems at its most intense during the day and usually it wears off by the evening.

This symptom has been particularly bad this week which has coincided with the return of some night sweats and daytime flushes. I have also reduced my Oestrogen lately so I assume low or just lower Oestrogen is to blame this time.

This is a very distressing symptom and you have my sympathy.

Take care.

K.

shoppingqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 01:13:47 PM »

Hello

Yes this is me too! I’ve just posted as I’m not sure if this is too much estrogen for me. I get very breathless as a result and it seems to be triggering a panic response. Really struggling to find the right dose. I’ve been extremely jangly on gel, thought it might need an increase to 3 pumps but not so sure. Really debating what to do about it all so you have my sympathy also. I didn’t seem to absorb patches but I did feel at least stable so maybe I just don’t need as much estrogen as I think. I’ve heard less is more. x

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 01:19:20 PM »

I am post meno and am greeted to each new day with a cortisol rush and anxious feeling.
While I reduced my oestrogen to 25mcg last year, this is only a recent thing.
I think, not enough oestrogen is the culprit, but, I am not sure, as progesterone is supposed to be the sedative hormone, so I am curious.

Nik2502

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 01:26:52 PM »

Thank you ladies. It’s such a minefield!
I lowered my oestrogen as I felt like I would imagine a junkie feels waiting for the next fix! Shaky, anxious, tearful, couldn’t eat. So thought I’d cut down to 100 from 125 to see how I go. It has only been a few days.
I don’t drink caffeine cos it makes me wee too much (another joy of the menopause!)
I do feel better as the day goes on but getting over the intense feeling in the morning is hard.
It’s comforting knowing I’m not alone as I start to worry I’m a freak and it’s just me :-(
Will see how I get on this week on the lower dose and take it from there x

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 01:42:47 PM »

Thank you ladies. It’s such a minefield!
I lowered my oestrogen as I felt like I would imagine a junkie feels waiting for the next fix! Shaky, anxious, tearful, couldn’t eat. So thought I’d cut down to 100 from 125 to see how I go. It has only been a few days.
I don’t drink caffeine cos it makes me wee too much (another joy of the menopause!)
I do feel better as the day goes on but getting over the intense feeling in the morning is hard.
It’s comforting knowing I’m not alone as I start to worry I’m a freak and it’s just me :-(
Will see how I get on this week on the lower dose and take it from there x
While I know you have not asked for advice, I would say take what is enough for you. I only take insufficient because sufficient make me bleed.

Nik2502

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 10:02:07 AM »

Morning

Thank you all.

Any other ladies have under active thyroid since using HRT? Doctor thinks the jitter feeling and being cold may be related to my thyroid. Awaiting blood tests.

Thanks
Nik x

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 10:55:34 AM »

Hello Nik2502

I was diagnosed with low thyroid in 2019. By that time I had been post meno for eight years and on HRT for six years.

The jittery feeling started about three years after my last period so for me I think it is Oestrogen related.

My thyroid blood tests show all my levels in the normal range including the antigen result which measures auto immune activity.

It has never been suggested to me that my thyroid might be responsible for the jitters but I have never been reassured that it isn't! Perhaps it is possible that your thyroid is overactive?

A lovely lady called Wrensong is an expert on thyroid issues so you may want to talk to her.

I think it is a good thing that your doctor is being thorough and please keep us updated.

Take care and wishing you well.

K.

Nik2502

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 06:02:09 PM »

Thank you Kathleen. I appreciate your support.
My health just feels like a minefield at the moment! X

shoppingqueen

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 08:53:10 PM »

Hi Nik

I’m underactive- Hashimoto’s and definitely get the shakes, tremor and jitters as a result. It’s usually associated with overactive, but there are several (many, many) posts on other sites where this is an issue fir underactive as well. It’s a hormone response and whether it’s thyroid or sex hormones, I’m 100% sure hormone imbalance causes it. Do you have periods where you feel restless? X

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 09:42:24 AM »

Hello again ladies.

Shoppingqueen - Can I ask if your blood tests show that your thyroid levels are in the normal range? If so how can you be sure that your Hashimotos is contributing to the jitters?

I ask because every medic I have seen regarding HRT has noted that my thyroid levels are normal so no action is required.
I assumed that my daily dose of Levothyroxine was doing its job and keeping everything stable but perhaps I need to think again!

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

MrsA

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 07:52:54 PM »

I have been looking for answers to the same problem, for some time, although recently , what I refer to as adrenaline (the jitters) has become a lot worse. I am like a well oiled fridge that is constantly buzzing. It's worse at night as I am having trouble sleeping. I went to the doctors...poor chap..I got a bit emotional. He put me on beta blockers for the time being...for anxiety...but am I anxious, or is this just a reaction to lack of sleep and hormones going crazy I wonder? They have helped to some extent but are not masking the feeling/ buzzing.
 I am on HRT pessaries ( for VA), which you are supposed to take for 2 weeks solid then twice a week. I never got past day 5 (tried on two occasions, two separate years) without the buzz of adrenaline hitting me. A lovely lady doctor said it was fine to just go for the twice a week dose after I asked the question, and I have been doing this for quite some time now. Some posts I have seen say too little oestrogen, some too much, and some refer to progesterone as being the problem. I am working on the "too much " theory and am going to take a break from the vagifem to see if it makes a difference. Fingers crossed in one way, but I don't want the VA back :'(

Post menopausal for 3 years...