Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Progesterone side effects and stopping  (Read 948 times)

GabbyP

• First Flush
Progesterone side effects and stopping
« on: October 07, 2022, 01:49:34 PM »

Hi all
Looking for some advice re progesterone and experiences of other ladies...
I am 51, peri menopausal (I think although haven't had periods for years as I have the mirena coil fitted so no idea if they've stopped naturally or with help of the coil) and have suffered horrendous anxiety, tearfulness, brain fog as well as low mood, joint pains and fatigue for last 3 years. Last summer I started on oestrogen after ambushing my doctor having seen a Davina McCall programme.  After a few different treatments, I settled on Evorel 100 patches and the anxiety began to lessen, I began to feel a bit more normal but tiredness and lethargy persisted, although all bloods are unremarkable.  Having watched another Davina McCall I went and asked for Testosterone and after a blood test confirmed I had low levels was started on Testo gel, and wow what a difference! Libido back and energy levels up.  As my coil was nearing replacement and needing the progesterone it supplied now as part of the HRT, doctor sent me to have a replacement - only NHS in my area will not replace a Mirena coil in anyone over age 50 so I was sent home from clinic without replacement (GP furious!!!).  I was put on Provera 5mg by GP after another progesterone didn't agree with me and I have to think the Provera doesn't either.  I take Provera 5mg every day (as I don't have periods re Mirena coil) and I have constant headaches, face aches/pressure around my upper jaw, sore boobs that feel like a sack of rocks have dropped every time I move, bloated, tearful and a tad anxiety ridden again which seems to be taking me back to the dark place I was in months ago.  I am hoping someone out there might have some suggestions.  I am considering different paths...thinking of just stopping the progesterone, trying to find a Mirena coil privately, asking GP for blood tests to see if I need progesterone etc etc and going round in circles feeling worse each day.  GP is supportive but local NHS is not!  Anyone able to offer an insight please?

Ecl

Re: Progesterone side effects and stopping
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 03:57:09 PM »

Hi Gabby,

So sorry to hear of your progesterone woes. I have been considering my progesterone too as I have developed IBS symptoms since starting hrt 18 months ago. GP carrying out tests, but said it could well be the HRT. I use evorel 50 and utrogestan. They previously suggested a mirena for me (I was 50) until I had a positive smear when they went quiet.
I am considering asking to go onto femseven patches if the results are negative to see if not taking oral progesterone will help. The progesterone in these patches is thhe same as in a mirena but a lower dose daily. The oestrogen is the body identical kind and it is made by the same company that makes evorel. It is however only available in 50 mcgm but you could possibly use two at a time and as you know you alreadf tolerate the levenogestrel it might work for you?

GabbyP

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 04:19:44 PM »

Thank you   Have made another appt with GP next week and decided to stop progesterone from today as really can't keep on like this.  Was feeling so much better and now very much aware I've been going backwards! Will have your comments with me next week and look them up beforehand as GP does listen to my suggestions/wishes hence I got testosterone from her, and I like to go in armed with knowledge! I'm wondering if the Mirena though its 5 years old, plus the oral tablets are just too much progesterone for me. Have read too that some ladies just can't tolerate it in their HRT. Hope your results come back clear ❤

Grheliz1

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 05:02:11 PM »

How weird about the local NHS policy on the Mirena! I've had mine inserted on the NHS, one in the local GP's (though they obviously don't get very many then 56-year-olds coming in and the nurses were a bit flummoxed), and then in the hospital while having a routine hysteroscopy. I've found the Mirena works very well with my Oestrogel and think in your situation, I'd find somewhere that fits them privately and have the old one replaced.

GabbyP

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 09:15:00 PM »

Yes, I'm inclined to think same. Stopped Provera 3 days ago and already less sore in boob area, headache decreasing and not cried once today! Plus slept for 6 hours last night where I'd gone backwards to 2-4 hours. Got GP appt later this week to discuss. Thanks for taking time to respond.