Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel pump  (Read 890 times)

Fruitcake

Oestrogel pump
« on: October 06, 2022, 10:24:36 AM »

I'm on my first month of the Oestrogel and Utrogestan having changed over from Evorel Conti patches that caused continuous bleeding.  I understand there are 64 pump applications = 32 days.  I have a few (hopefully not too daft) questions about the actual gel pump.

Does everyone get exactly 64 equal pumps out of one bottle? Does the pump stop after exactly 64 applications?   I'm currently on day 27 or 54 pumps and today the pump is more 'squirty' like air is coming out with the gel and it doesn't quite seem the same blob of gel.  I haven't received my next prescription yet so don't have another gel pump but this one seems like it is running out, faster than it should.

Dotty

Re: Oestrogel pump
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 11:16:37 AM »

Hi I usually get more than 64 pumps out of a bottle.  The advice is to stop when you've used 64 pumps.  You might notice as you get near the end of the bottle that the pump takes longer to return to its normal position.  That's usually a sign that the bottle is nearly empty. x

Fruitcake

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 12:26:37 PM »

Thanks Dotty.  Do you just carry on using the same pump until no more comes out then?  I'm terrible with these plastic containers like body creams and hand lotions, I have to cut them and clean them out inside to know I've used it all ! ;D

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 12:33:49 PM »

Yes I carry on using it till it’s empty. Once the pump starts coming up slowly, I open another bottle and use the two together…3 pumps from the new one and 1 from the old one. x

Pippa52

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 03:51:51 PM »

Hi Fruitcake - I am also on Oestrogel.  I found that the amount in each pump worth of gel  can actually vary sometimes quite a bit so I bought a pair of cheap mg/g scales and I know it sounds crazy but I measure it out each time I use the pump.  That way I know I am getting an even dose each time and I have noticed the bottle definitely lasts longer.  It doesn't actually take very long to do each day and as I am stupidly sensitive to dose changes on oestrogen it is helping me to increase the dose slowly and accurately to the level I have been advised to use. x

Fruitcake

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 04:22:04 PM »

That's very interesting Pippa52.  I understand completely about weighing it out and it doesn't sound crazy. 

So I'm presuming an 80g pump pack should be giving a 1.25mg dose of gel each time.  If your are that sensitive to the dose change, how do you make sure the same amount actually gets absorbed equally every time?  I only ask because I got so confused reading so many differing ways on how it should be applied. 

Some said whole outer arm including shoulder, some said just top outer arm & shoulder. Some said rub in until it was completely absorbed (this was also on a video) others said 'pat' the gel in but not all the way and then leave to air dry.  Then I read that we are losing some in our hands by rubbing in which doesn't get absorbed so thought maybe using an applicator but then this way you can't tell as easily when the gel has gone into the skin and you haven't missed a bit.

It shouldn't be this complicated!

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 04:38:10 PM »

Hi Fruitcake I’ve been using Oestrogel for nearly 5 years now. To begin with I was terrified and was really careful about how I applied it. As time went on things got easier and now I just put it on and rub it in either inner thighs or outer shoulders and arms. My advice is, don’t overthink it. I’ve been there and done that. I used to put it on at precisely the same time every day. Now I put it on anytime between 7am and 11am depending on what I’m doing. x

Fruitcake

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 04:55:33 PM »

You are quite right Dotty.  It is too easy to get bogged down with all the information that is out there.  I am definitely guilty of too much research.

Thank you for all your replies.

Pippa52

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 09:46:07 AM »

Fruitcake I know exactly what you mean re the crazy and differing advice around.  I use the weighing pan scale to apply the gel so I don't waste any on my hands (a small spatula is good too) and the menopause consultant I see says to 'pat and glide' the gel into the skin and not rub it in.   I am working up to 3 pumps and she told me I should only apply one dose to each limb so I use 2 inner thighs and an outer upper arm.  She told me that just rubbing the gel in with hands could waste 25% to 30% of the gel which then gets washed off your hands afterwards.  I do find this method is working well for me personally but of course it may not suit others and I do think Dotty is right in that sometimes things can just get too complicated.  I only am so anal about it due to my ridiculous sensitivity to dose changes. It is a total nightmare though all this - why can't they make things simple!! Dotty is absolutely right too about applying the same dose at the same time every day I really think that is vital xx
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:48:20 AM by Pippa52 »