Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Am I on the right HRT? Sleep and anxiety  (Read 772 times)

Vashti

• First Flush
Am I on the right HRT? Sleep and anxiety
« on: October 06, 2022, 06:24:29 AM »

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and am jumping in with a question about HRT and sleep and anxiety.

I have been on Evorel Conti patches 3.2mg for nearly a year and went on them because of sleep disturbance and a rise in anxiety which I put down to the menopause. I previously was a good sleeper. It helped for a while and made me able to cope with the day to day stuff, even if I didn't sleep. I was able to navigate through. I tried some extra estrogen gel for a while but that didn't make much difference and so I stopped using it ( and it became unavailable) My sleep has got worse over the last 4 months and subsequently my anxiety, or the other way round! I don't have night sweats or hot flushes.

I have started some CBT recently to get to the bottom of my anxieties. I have other stuff going on in my life - a past bereavement, relationship issues and the usual life stuff we have to deal with at this age, so I suppose I have a lot on my mind. It's early days with the CBT and I was wanting to know if increasing estrogen does help with sleep and anxiety? Or should i try changing the way I take the HRT - is it an absorption issue? Should I try a different make or brand? HRT isn't a cure all I know that. I feel I need to arm myself with the right information before I speak to my doctor about it.
 :o

discogirl

Re: Am I on the right HRT? Sleep and anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 07:09:33 AM »

Hi Vashti,

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, I only started hrt in august, so more experienced ladies will be along to give you some really good advice. This site is really fantastic and has helped me loads. However I just wanted to share my experience.

In february I developed tinnitus, I had really bad anxiety prior to that and panic attacks, I developed sleep issues, none of which I had previously. I realised that it was my hormones and when I had my blood oestradiol levels checked at the end of June they were <19 (very low) (i am post meno by about 3 or 4yrs).

I have been on estraderm patches mx 25 since 25th August, then increased to 37.5mcg in sept.

The hrt does seem to be helping my sleep and my anxiety. It does take time, it isn't an over night fix.

So other ladies can give you more tailored advice, do you still have your uterus? whereabouts are you in your menopause journey?

Sorry for such a lot of information, however from my experience I have found the estraderm patches to be great. This isn't to say I might not need to change them later on, as sometimes its like hitting a moving target, but for now, they do seem to be helping me xxx

Vashti

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 08:13:07 AM »

Thanks discogirl, the Evorel Conti patches are continuous combined so have oestrogen and progestogen. I still have a womb so combined was recommended. Bleeding stopped a year and a half ago. I'm wanting to know whether increasing the dose over time can help with sleep and anxiety and what other options i have.  I'm glad to hear it's working for you.    :o

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 09:00:46 AM »

I think it would be interesting for you to see what your levels of oestrogen are. Sometimes if they get too high this can make things worse for sleep and anxiety. On the other hand you could  try adding in again some oestrogel and give it a few weeks to see if it helps. I'm sorry but it's so difficult to know sometimes if it's too much or too little! .Some women find using utrogestan as the progesterone part very helpful for sleep and anxiety - others hate it. So you could maybe try that. Also, try adding in testosterone - this too can make a difference sleep and anxiety wise. But of course don't try all these things at once as you won't pinpoint what helps....

Vashti

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 03:14:38 PM »

Thank you. Lots of options.

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 07:23:25 AM »

hi Vashti,

I'm post meno by about 4(ish) years.

My anxiety from where it was is much better and I think when you're anxiety lessens, that in turn helps sleep.

I'm glad you've started cbt as that can really help. Have you considered having grief counselling for your bereavement? I had some grief counselling quite a few years back with Cruise. My therapist was fantastic and it really helped me loads.

I've recently had some cbt for my anxiety and I think using it in combination with hrt it can be a really useful tool to use xxx

I use noise on my phone at night as well to help distract my mind while I'm dropping off and I also use magnesium bisglycinate from love life supplements, as it helps to relax and calm me a bit as well xxx