News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Update  (Read 913 times)

Kathleen

Update
« on: October 06, 2022, 08:17:33 AM »

Hello ladies.

Just a quick update from me. I have been reducing my Sandrena gel sachets to a half every morning for the last two weeks, I think this equates to a 50mcg patch.

I am now noticing increased sweating, night sweats are creeping in, tearfulness is such that I nearly cried in the bank and did cry at the dentists. I have also had a few flushes during the day.

I am wondering what to do. I may carry on with the half patch for a little longer to see if things settle down or I may go back to one sachet.

Up until now my main problems  have been the emotional ones and HRT hasn't really addressed them anyway so in some ways I am no worse off. Infact having a return of night sweats and flushes has reassured me that hormone levels are a factor.

At the moment  I can deal with the physical stuff so I will continue with my experiment for a little longer. I am still hoping to get an appointment with the hospital consultant at some point.

Take care ladies and wishing you all well.

K.

Flossieteacake

Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 08:39:30 AM »

I really am sorry to hear the reduction has caused the night sweats and tears to become worse. I can see why you are conflicted as to what to do. Maybe you would benefit from some therapy? Perhaps that is the missing link as reducing and increasing HRT has not changed the emotional symptoms. Just a thought.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 09:09:00 AM »

Hi Kathleen half a sachet is roughly equivalent to a 25 patch, so a very low dose.

I can’t remember, but have you tried patches ? x

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 09:22:05 AM »

Hi Kathleen

Thank you for the update on your journey.

It could be just your body adjusting to the new regime still so it might settle. I’m on about the same dose and have no hot flushes.
Or maybe you’ve just dipped slightly below your sweet spot with dosage.

I believe you take your progesterone every other day. Do you notice any difference on the day you have taken it to the day you don’t?

M x

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 10:00:34 AM »

Hi Kathleen half a sachet is roughly equivalent to a 25 patch, so a very low dose.

I can’t remember, but have you tried patches ? x
Sandrena comes in two strengths, 0.5mg and 1 mg. I think Kathleen has the 1mg.
JP x

Perinowpost

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 10:05:21 AM »

Hi Kathleen

Have you tried the patches? I found them to be much more consistent than gel. I realise this is another change but maybe this would help your symptoms. I am on evorel 50 and don’t have any flushes/night sweats (except for when I’m in with utrogestan withdrawal that is).

Hope this helps xx

Nik2502

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 12:13:33 PM »

Hi Kathleen

It’s such a nightmare trying to get the therapeutic level right. I’m exactly the same as you at the moment.

If you’re using 1mg sandrena that’s 50 - 0.5mg is only 25 so a low dose. Night sweats and flushes are usually an indication of lower levels of oestrogen.

It might be worth persevering with the dose of gel you’re using now for a few more days. Personally my body doesn’t react well to the up and downs of changing dose and takes a while to settle.

Hope you feel better as the day goes on.

Nik x

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 02:17:19 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Thank you so much for responding.

Flossieteacake  - I have dabbled with therapy  and I also had CBT on the NHS. I sometimes wonder if I have become super aware of my emotions thanks to the menopause and this has compounded the problem.

Dotty - the sachet I use is one mg which I assumed equals 100mcg so half that is 50 mcg. I could be wrong though so I will need to check. I have tried patches in the past usually 50 mcg but when I increased to 75 mcg I had bleeding and had to go back to 50mcg.

Marchlove - I am hoping that my body adjusts to these new levels but time will tell. I have had the same thought about progesterone and although I don't really notice a difference taking it every night may be my next experiment. I can't do much at the moment because I don't have enough pessaries to hand but I will try and get a new supply asap.

Joaniepat -  you are right my sachets are the  1mg ones so my dose should be 50mcg now.

Perinowpost - I have used patches in the past and would be happy to give them another go in the future. I have thought that they might provide more stability especially as measuring half a sachet is a bit of a faff lol.

Nik2502.  - I think I will continue as I am at the moment. Hopefully things will settle on this lower dose but I will have to reconsider if it all gets too much. I agree that changes are never easy but we have to keep trying don't we!

Once again ladies you have all been so kind and helpful and I appreciate every reply.

I will continue as I am for a while longer and I will keep you all up to speed.

Thanks again and wishing you all well.

K.

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 03:03:00 PM »

https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/03-BMS-TfC-HRT-Practical-Prescribing-02A-MAY2022.pdf
Kathleen….have a look at page 2 for equivalencies in hrt. You are using half a 1mg sachet, which equals 0.5mg which is roughly equivalent to a 25 patch or 1 pump of gel xxx

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 04:22:08 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Dotty - that is so helpful of you! I will take a look at the link you posted. Many thanks.

Take care.

K.