Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem plus Replens or Ovestin  (Read 1036 times)

Shells99

Vagifem plus Replens or Ovestin
« on: October 05, 2022, 11:09:57 AM »

Hi there

I have been using vagifem 3 times weekly for about 18 months now and I think I'm ok internally.

I recently spoke to my GP about external dryness and some itching externally - around the vulva and entrance to vagina. She suggested Replens and when I asked about Ovestin she said there was very little difference, although I know that Ovestin contains oestrogen.
Anyway I have now got both prescribed and wanted to ask for advice on which one would be most effective.

I am tolerating the vagifem ok although I have had some allergic rashes from body moisturisers in the past so my skin can be sensitive.
I am leaning towards trying the ovestin first due to the oestrogen content and I did read a couple of negative posts about replens.

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions from ladies who have tried any or both of these for external use (any reactions, how much to apply, what time to apply etc.)

For information, I am currently taking tibolone (livial) and have been referred to a GP menopause clinic to discuss an alternative plus testosterone, so on a waiting list this past 6 months.

Flossieteacake

Re: Vagifem plus Replens or Ovestin
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 11:18:13 AM »

I would not use Replens as I have heard of people finding it irritates their skin. Ovestin is oestrogen and nothing like Replens which is a moisturiser. I find it helpful to use ovestin on the outer area. I mix it with Yes moisturiser and apply it that way. Yes and Sylk are nice and gentle.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 11:21:53 AM »

Another GP with no idea !!!!

Do not use Replens, which she probably suggested as it can be bought over the counter - it won't up the oestrogen that has been lost.  The idea with appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment is to plump up the tissues to ease itching.  VA can mimic repeated urine-type symptoms really really well .   ::). The idea with treatment is to use internally every night for 2-3 weeks then as necessary.  The suggestion is to insert every 3/4 and 6/7 nights, some however require it every night for years.

When I get the need2P feelings I take Nurofen to ease the nip as the urine flow stops.  Many insert the vagifem internally, using ovestin on the external area.  Personally ovestin has been enough with the occasional use of 'KY Jelly' on the outer areas to stop any itching. 

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »

I often end up spitting bullets when reading posts on here sometimes. There is absolutely no comparison between using a feminine moisturiser and a topical oestrogen cream, your doctor is so wrong!

When I looked at the ingredients in Replens (I had already been warned against using it from the women on this forum) I noticed that one of the ingredients was included in soda crystals, a product I use for cleaning my washing machine.

Go for something much more natural like Sylk, Yes, and there are other products out there. But please use Ovestin when required, if you do get an irritation mix with the moisturiser, it sorted me out brilliantly applying this way.
Along with using Vagifem every day I apply the Ovestin topically twice a day mixed with a little amount of Sylk moisturiser.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 12:02:05 PM »

Definately chuck the Replens in the bin!! 
Does anyone use that stuff anymore???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 02:05:47 PM »

GPs apparently think so! 

Shells99

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 04:03:21 PM »

Thank you all for the helpful replies!
I will definitely avoid the Replens and start on the Ovestin - I wonder should I just do a patch test on a small part of my groin area to start with, just to see if any irritation develops.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 04:06:59 PM »

Thank you all for the helpful replies!
I will definitely avoid the Replens and start on the Ovestin - I wonder should I just do a patch test on a small part of my groin area to start with, just to see if any irritation develops.

That is a good idea. Always best to go slowly when you have sensitive skin.  :)

Jules

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 07:14:25 PM »

I used it successfullyfor 6 months when i stopped vagifem due to bleeding.  It worked fine as my issue was sex related.
Eventually though it wasnt enough, a year older and i needed something more.

Definately chuck the Replens in the bin!! 
Does anyone use that stuff anymore???

Evangelista

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 09:34:52 AM »

Slightly jumping in here, but recently I've had a lot of external soreness and irritation,  to the extent that it was waking me in the night last month.
I already use ovestin twice a week internally and have now also been using it externally. I did the loading dose initially with Vagifem but swapped to ovestin to avoid so much plastic waste, plus you can use the cream more flexibly.
I also have Yes VM, plus the OB and the WB for use as appropriate, not that sex is much on the menu right now.
I'm interested in the idea of mixing the Yes VM with ovestin for external use. I have a small plastic pot designed for putting creams in when travelling and am now wondering whether I could make up a little mix to use. Thinking that might be easier than mixing in the hand?
The pot probably only holds enough for 3 or 4 doses, so can anyone see a downside to doing that? I assume neither cream would suffer for being transferred to another pot for a couple of days.

Separately I'm wondering whether the worsening of symptoms is stress related - I've moved house and had some pretty devastating news about a close family member recently so that could contribute if stress is a factor.
Thanks for any thoughts

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2022, 09:59:52 AM »

Slightly jumping in here, but recently I've had a lot of external soreness and irritation,  to the extent that it was waking me in the night last month.
I already use ovestin twice a week internally and have now also been using it externally. I did the loading dose initially with Vagifem but swapped to ovestin to avoid so much plastic waste, plus you can use the cream more flexibly.
I also have Yes VM, plus the OB and the WB for use as appropriate, not that sex is much on the menu right now.
I'm interested in the idea of mixing the Yes VM with ovestin for external use. I have a small plastic pot designed for putting creams in when travelling and am now wondering whether I could make up a little mix to use. Thinking that might be easier than mixing in the hand?
The pot probably only holds enough for 3 or 4 doses, so can anyone see a downside to doing that? I assume neither cream would suffer for being transferred to another pot for a couple of days.

Separately I'm wondering whether the worsening of symptoms is stress related - I've moved house and had some pretty devastating news about a close family member recently so that could contribute if stress is a factor.
Thanks for any thoughts

Ouch, I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I would use ovestin daily both internal and external. When I mix mine with some Yes to apply externally, I put a little ovestin on the palm of my hand and add a bit of yes then use my finger to mix. I would stick to that just in case mixing them both in the pot lessens the potency.

Stress makes my VA flare so I would suspect you are right. I am so sorry for your sad news.

Evangelista

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 10:51:30 AM »

Thanks Flossie, mixing in the palm sounds like a plan.
At the minute the issues all seem to be external - internally I don't have any issues, and I've stopped getting up to pee in the night. I do know that even if it's all external it is still worth treating internally both for oestrogen absorption and for future 'prevention' to the extent that you can.
I also wonder whether general hydration make a noticeable difference. I've been guilty of not drinking enough over the last few busy weeks, and I know the whole body benefits from getting enough fluids.
Stresswise it's been difficult and will continue to be so, but I am lucky to have a very understanding and supportive OH which is a great help. Plus the lovely ladies on this forum  :)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 11:00:30 AM »

Thanks Flossie, mixing in the palm sounds like a plan.
At the minute the issues all seem to be external - internally I don't have any issues, and I've stopped getting up to pee in the night. I do know that even if it's all external it is still worth treating internally both for oestrogen absorption and for future 'prevention' to the extent that you can.
I also wonder whether general hydration make a noticeable difference. I've been guilty of not drinking enough over the last few busy weeks, and I know the whole body benefits from getting enough fluids.
Stresswise it's been difficult and will continue to be so, but I am lucky to have a very understanding and supportive OH which is a great help. Plus the lovely ladies on this forum  :)

Although the issues are external I would still keep up with the Ovestin or I find the internal signs start to flare up. VA treatment is for life anyway. You could try and drink more fluids and see if that helps. Maybe you could get yourself a nice drinks bottle to encourage you to drink a bit more.  :)

I am so pleased you have a nice OH as that makes a world of difference. The forum is great too. :)