Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: When to stop HRT  (Read 751 times)

MadMargaret

• First Flush
When to stop HRT
« on: September 28, 2022, 02:33:07 PM »

So I am nearly 65.  I have 5 children and the last are 11 year old twins.  After they were born and I'd stopped breastfeeding I realised I was going into menopause.  The Dr said the last thing I needed was coping with babies and hot flushes, so happily prescribed HRT.  At the time there were a lot of contra-indications which have now largely been dismissed, but I did a great deal of reading to make sure it was safe. 

It wasn't easy to find the right fit, but after several years I had estradiol patches and utrogestan orally (which changed to vaginally when I moved to Scotland, as they couldn't get it here  >:( )  As most of you know there is a shortage of all HRT products  :'(  and you frequently find your brand has disappeared from the market. 

I have reduced the estradiol from 2mg daily to 0.4.  I have to cut down a 0.50 patch to get it to where I want it!  Because I'm only taking a very low dose I only take the progesterone once every 3mths and although it's bio and doesn't cause the massive depression I get with horse made ones, it still sets off my back pain and it's just too much for me now.  Having twins in my 50s gave me SPD and that's weakened an already bad back.

So I have to stop.  But I can't get past the 0.25!!!!  Every time I reduce it to that I end up with ALL my menopause symtoms back again.

Anyone experienced this and do I just have to cope better?  I stuck it out for 2 mths of symptoms last time and my husband was begging me to go back on it.  No amount of natural products help.  I'm a pescetarian, so have a healthy diet.  I don't smoke, but do drink wine (which does make the symptoms worse if more than a glass or two).

Any suggestions would be welcome!  :)

Flossieteacake

Re: When to stop HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 02:40:01 PM »

Hello MadMargaret. Welcome to the forum. HRT can be taken for life. It can help protect our bones. I understand you wanting to stop due to having to take progesterone but stopping it will bring back the menopause symptoms.

It is horrible you have to have back pain with the progesterone. I know some women take oestrogen only and gave regular scans to check their womb lining. Maybe that is an option for you.

Other members will be along to post too. It is a very supportive forum. :)

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 03:05:36 PM »

I just wanted to say welcome also MadMargaret, and to second what flossieteacake has already said, the ladies on here are so supportive, it has literally been a lifeline for me xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 04:08:16 PM »

Natural products don't often help. Menopause is natural but symptoms can be tiresome.

Why stop?  One can take HRT for ever.  What's SPD?

HRT protects bones and heart as do regular exercise (plenty of that I expect?), a good diet and good hydration.  A lack of oestrogen may cause laxity of muscles = aches and pains as well as the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, vagina, deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes .........

MadMargaret

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 12:12:44 PM »

Thanks Ladies.  I used to come to this site a lot, at the start of my HRT journey.  It really is amazing.  I'm just struggling to get the progesterone right.  If I could do that then I would stay on HRT for ever.  I wonder if there are any other older ladies here, in their 60s or later, with advice. 

SPD is Symphysis pubis dysfunction and meant that the pubic bones rubbed together, along with other horrible pain.  The pelvis and hips have never recovered.  I'm going to another person soon to see if they can help with the back pain.  I used to run a lot, but the back pain has really stopped that and now I just walk the dogs, which is still good exercise (we live in the country, so very lucky).

My latest cycle had no bleed, which is also worrying, so I'm going to ask the Dr for a scan. They are usually very helpful. I couldn't do the full  12 days as my back was too bad and I was close to bedridden - impossible with a young family still - so I abandoned at 9 days.  So maybe not enough to cause a bleed.  I really would like to know what my lining is doing though - that's my main worry.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 12:19:18 PM »

I am sure the DR will arrange a scan for you to reassure you. Your back pain sounds agony. It is awful progesterone has that affect on you.