Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Struggling  (Read 3130 times)

CelesteM

Struggling
« on: September 25, 2022, 03:26:04 PM »

Hi everyone! My GP just prescribed me the higher dose of progesterone in my Estalis continuous patch - 50/140 to 50/250, as I had a heavy period for 5 days after using the patch for just a week. After 12 hours on the higher dose patch the bleeding stopped,  however I had one of the worse days yesterday, weeping and becoming angry and irritable for no reason. I actually felt like I was going crazy. I just took this new patch off (after 36hours) as I’ve had hot flushes on and off for the last 12hrs and just woke at 1am feeling hot and the site of the patch on my stomach burning. Can anyone tell me if this is a reaction to the higher dose of the norethisterone? The patch is called ESTRADIOL/NORETHISTERONE ACETATE (ESTALIS CONTINUOUS 50/250). I would appreciate any advice as I would like to continue hrt as the Estalis conti 50/140 patch still helped my menopause symptoms, no joint pain, dryness or hot flushes and my mood settled and I felt positive like my old self.  My GP has referred me to menopause clinic but my appointment isn’t until November 24. I don’t know what other hrt to try. Thank you :)

Flossieteacake

Re: Struggling
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 03:47:09 PM »

I am so sorry to hear you have had this reaction. I suspect it is the progesterone. I reacted badly to norethisterone and have heard many others do too. It is good you are feeling better since removing the patch. Hopefully you can be prescribed an alternative that agrees with you.

CelesteM

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 04:35:37 PM »

Thanks, I thought it was the higher norethisterone also! Yes the flushes and burning feeling stopped nearly immediately after removing the patch. Can you recommend other hrt options? My GP has limited knowledge of hrt and my appt with meno clinic is not until another two months. I tried Femoston conti 1/5 for one week but the period pain side effect was so unbearable I had to stop. My gp’s first choice was the Estalis conti patch. Thanks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 05:54:31 PM »

Would it have been more appropriate for the GP to have prescribed something to ease the bleeding?   How long would the bleeding have lasted?

Sometimes HRT does cause a bleed until the body takes it up. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 06:50:35 PM »

Thanks, I thought it was the higher norethisterone also! Yes the flushes and burning feeling stopped nearly immediately after removing the patch. Can you recommend other hrt options? My GP has limited knowledge of hrt and my appt with meno clinic is not until another two months. I tried Femoston conti 1/5 for one week but the period pain side effect was so unbearable I had to stop. My gp’s first choice was the Estalis conti patch. Thanks!

HRT is such a personal thing as everybody will react differently to different types. A common one here is an Oestrogen patch with Mirena coil or Ultrogestan which is often best vaginally.

CelesteM

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »

Thank you Flossieteacake! I may ask my GP for the Mirena coil with the Estradiol patches. I had a quick look at Australia’s PBS list and the Ustrogen capsules are quite expensive when buying with the ESTRADIOL patches or Sandrena gel per month, it’s about 3 x more the box of Estralis conti. Maybe that’s why it isn’t recommended by regular GPs here? Is there much of a side effect to the Levonorgestrel in the Mirena? :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 11:23:05 AM by CelesteM »

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 11:37:34 AM »

Thank you Flossieteacake! I may ask my GP for the Mirena coil with the Estradiol patches. I had a quick look at Australia’s PBS list and the Ustrogen capsules are quite expensive when buying with the ESTRADIOL patches or Sandrena gel per month, it’s about 3 x more the box of Estralis conti. Maybe that’s why it isn’t recommended by regular GPs here? Is there much of a side effect to the Levonorgestrel in the Mirena? :)

I think GPs wil always push for us to have anything that is cheaper. With the side effects of the Mirena, you will not know how you react until you try it. Some people do not get on with it while others love it. My friend has the Mirena and she thinks it is brilliant.  :)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 08:29:02 AM »

I am sad to see you have left the forum. I really hope you are okay. :(