Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Confused... Mirena, Lenzetto & Utrogestan  (Read 1080 times)

KaycieB

• First Flush
Confused... Mirena, Lenzetto & Utrogestan
« on: September 26, 2022, 08:54:14 AM »

Good morning & thank you for letting me join. I've been given different advise by two GP's.  I have had 3 Mirena Coils over 15 years. On the last one GP wrote leave in until 55 if OK (I'm 53) despite expiring 2021 as apparently they can be left for 8 years ???? I've had estrodot 100mg patches for 3 years but started reacting to gel so asked to switch to Lenzetto spray. New GP said I had to have coil removed immediately as it was now out of date (??) & start Utrogestan tablets asap. She prescribed one Lenzetto spray per day, but this is only equivalent to a 25mg/50mg patch. Receptionist/econsults have told me no appts available to remove coil & no GP appts for me to discuss further as I felt I had more questions. Felt so despondent I started to self medicate with the Lenzetto & leaving coil in situ. Immediately had to increase to 2 sprays to stop bleeding but have had bad headache now for 14 days solid. Now questioning do I add Utrogestan into the mix (still with coil in situ) in the hopes it stops headaches or will I potentially progesterone overdose, and is that even possible.  The only alternative is to switch back to patches and live with the skin irritation. I have asked pharmacist, and a nurse friend, both were as confused as me by GP's advice. Feel very alone and in the dark on this one which is affecting my emotions too. Why dont GP's see the impact of menopause & HRT on an indivual basis.There is no one fix for all.  Any advice greatly appreciated...

Dotty

Re: Confused... Mirena, Lenzetto & Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 09:29:46 AM »

Hi a Mirena is licensed for 5 years for HRT protection.  If yours is older than 5 years then you will need to use a different progesterone as well as the Mirena x

KaycieB

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 12:42:03 PM »

Hi Dotty, thank you for you reply.  I was lead to believe by the first GP that the Mirena was licensed for five years for the contraception side but would still produce progesterone for up to 8 years.  The internet is also conflicting which is why Im so confused.

Nicodemus

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 12:59:07 PM »

That's a pretty poor show from your GP surgery regarding the lack of further appointments, I'm not surprised you're feeling despondent. Is there a family planning clinic or sexual health clinic that you could contact to get the coil removed? Or a different GP surgery?

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 01:09:47 PM »

Hi Mirena used to be 4 years for hrt and was increased to 5 a couple of years ago. x

https://www.newsonhealth.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/The-Mirena-Coil-or-IUS-v21-02.pdf   Here’s the details about it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 01:11:52 PM by Dotty »

KaycieB

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 01:53:55 PM »

Thank you for replying Nicodemus.  I am currenlty looking into this but havent found anywhere yet.

KaycieB

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 01:58:39 PM »

Hi Dotty. Thank you for the link. It was very useful.