Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil recommended as HRT with estrogen patch  (Read 934 times)

MrsBee

• First Flush
Mirena Coil recommended as HRT with estrogen patch
« on: September 21, 2022, 01:11:20 PM »

Hi All
I’m new here and looking for any advice.  I’ve been taking Evoril Conti for 10 months now and still having frequent periods.  Consultant is recommending Mirena Coil, as long as the Hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy come back clear.  I’ve avoided the coil up until now, never wanted it due to the horror stories of weight gain, (yes I’m vain!)  I haven’t gained weight whilst using the Evoril patches, both sequi and conti so can I assume that I shouldn’t be affected with the Mirena?  Also is the level of progesterone in the coil comparable to what is in the patch or am I likely to feel a difference? 

Any experience, advice, greatly appreciated.

Dandelion

Re: Mirena Coil recommended as HRT with estrogen patch
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 10:52:43 PM »

Hi All
I’m new here and looking for any advice.  I’ve been taking Evoril Conti for 10 months now and still having frequent periods.  Consultant is recommending Mirena Coil, as long as the Hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy come back clear.  I’ve avoided the coil up until now, never wanted it due to the horror stories of weight gain, (yes I’m vain!)  I haven’t gained weight whilst using the Evoril patches, both sequi and conti so can I assume that I shouldn’t be affected with the Mirena?  Also is the level of progesterone in the coil comparable to what is in the patch or am I likely to feel a difference? 

Any experience, advice, greatly appreciated.
I've never tried the mirena coil, I had it recommended for abnormal bleeds, but just increased my utrogestan and decreased the oestrogen patch dose, had scans and hysteroscopy.

My mate has mirena, she is my age, she used it for contraception and likes it.
Some women on here struggle with emotional problems on it, yet others like it.
You can do a search for mirena on here.

You could go to google advanced search, put this site in the domain box, and put "mirena" "weight gain" in.

I used to be 8st, even eating like a horse when younger.
Depression has always took weight off, as I don't eat with it.
Oddly, when I used to be naughty and take speed, it put weight on me, as it blocked out, artificially, the depression, and I used to need food on that, when most can't eat on it.

I'm ok being a bit tubby, I am within BMI, depression makes weight fall off me at a rapid rate of knots, I lost 7st to depression once, and went down to 7st, the psychs got me to see dieticians etc.
I hate losing weight as it means depression affecting it again, I get scared to get on scales, although I am over 11st now.
I get paranoid about going below 11st I am 5ft 4.
I am insecure about my personality though, we all have bits of us we don't like.
My sister is weight conscious, I don't see her, we don't get on, she looks fine in photos to me. She is less than a year older than me.

As for coil and patch, I can never tell what "progesterone equivalents" are between the different progestins, ie, pills, patches etc.

I prefer bio identical hormones, over synthetic, I never absorbed the synthetic oestrogen in femoston pills.
Overall I would say google is your friend, I found I gained weight, when I went into peri without any HRT, I don't know if this is standard.

jackelburger

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 03:07:01 PM »

Hi,

I had the Mirena Coil fitted almost 4 weeks ago.   I'd been investigated back in May for abdominal pain/post meno bleeding and a vaginal ultrascan showed my womb lining was 5.4mm.   I had been on HRT for 10 months, utrogestan daily and oestrogel then the patch (50).  They tried to do a pipette biopsy in the clinic but couldn't get a decent sample (plus it was very painful!) so I ended up having a biopsy under general anaesthetic.   Prior to the op, the gynaecologist said he could put a coil in during the operation and I agreed.   I'm really pleased so far.  Initially I did feel little bloated and sore but that settled within about 7 days.   I have not gained any weight at all and haven't noticed any major changes in how I feel either.    It means I only have to think about my HRT twice per week when I change the patch.

I knew that if I didn't get on with it I could have it removed by a nurse at my GP practice quite easily, so thought I had nothing to lose really.

Nas

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 04:41:51 PM »

I’ve had a mirena in, since end of May. No weight gain so far. It wouldn’t be the coil itself which causes weight gain anyway I wouldn’t have thought. More, as we age, our metabolic rate slows and we need to eat less.

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 04:49:22 PM »

I wouldn’t have one given. Caused massive weight gain, low mood and quashed libido for me. Put mirena into the search box as others have suggested. The problem is they’re cheap so the medical profession push them. Unfortunately, they don’t work for everyone.

Any questions just ask x