Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Loss of appetite  (Read 2154 times)

Camjo06

• First Flush
Loss of appetite
« on: September 23, 2022, 08:18:31 PM »

Hi everyone,
Has anyone suffered with loss of appetite? I don’t feel particularly poorly or suffering with my tummy but I have zero appetite, finding I’m forcing food down to keep energy levels up. I’ve had blood work done and all came back fine. I do suffer with health anxiety which isn’t helping but the lack of appetite definitely came first which is why I’m now anxious about my health. Really unlike me to be off my food, I’m normally thinking about what to have for dinner whilst eating lunch!! Just wondering if anyone else has suffered, I’m having other peri menopausal symptoms such has hot flushes, irregular periods, bloating and brain fog to name a few, I fear this is just another symptom to add to an ever increasing list. Although, in a way I hope it is menopause related rather than anything sinister. X

Joadsame

• First Flush
Re: Loss of appetite
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 08:43:56 PM »

Hello, yes I lost my appetite too, still don’t really have one and have to make myself eat. I also struggle with nausea. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 09:21:47 PM »

Hormones can cause a loss of appetite.  For me tamoxifen, a drug used to dampen oestrogen production, made me really ill as it increased my sense of smell  >:(

Sense of smell/taste are so connected and alterations can creep up.  When on The Pill I could smell garbage  :-X :-\.  So it may well be that hormonal upheaval is the cause of your lack of appetite.  If 1 feels bloated, one doesn't want to eat.

Eating little and often might help.  Slow release foods: bananas, porridge  :-X, readybrek, toast, fresh fruits and veg..  My go to are dried fruits and nuts, chocolate, dried biscuits, ginger biscuits. 

Brain fog - we have a thread about that, doing silly things  ::)

Joadsame

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 07:23:47 AM »

I sometimes have a very acute sense of smell too which doesn’t help the nausea at all.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 08:38:28 AM »

Have you talked to pregnant women to find out if their sense of smell/taste alters?

As soon as nausea hits I can't function at all  :'(

Joadsame

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 10:15:20 AM »

I believe when I was pregnant my sense of smell was pretty good and certain smells turned my stomach

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 12:08:39 PM »

MayB chat with a pharmacist about anti-nausea medication to take prior to eating?  My GP prescribed Motillium and Colpermin to take within an hour of my main meals.