Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Increasing vagifem  (Read 1217 times)

Vicky61

Increasing vagifem
« on: September 23, 2022, 02:10:27 PM »

Thank you for all your replies!  When I started vagifem my bladder control got better when I was taking it daily for the 2 weeks.  As I lowered to twice a week my bladder symptoms returned.  I'm not sure how should I increase the dose?  Should I go back to daily or go to 3 times a week for 2 weeks and then increase as needed?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:03:03 PM by Vicky61 »

Nicodemus

Re: Increasing vahifem
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 02:15:16 PM »

This happened to me.

I would go back to daily for a couple of weeks and then if it seems ok maybe try alternate days (I have not managed this yet, am still on daily). Any hint of trouble go back to daily. Some women need daily and GPs should recognise this, but unfortunately some of them don't. It's not harmful for you to take every day if you need it.

Ayesha

Re: Increasing vahifem
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 03:10:11 PM »

Nearly a year of daily vagifem and ovestin I decided to try treatment every other day. It soon became apparent that I need the daily treatment, some women do unfortunately.

Joaniepat

Re: Increasing vagifem
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 06:59:11 PM »

I would go back to daily, and when you are comfortable again drop to six a week and see how you feel. If still OK after a couple of weeks on six, see if you can manage with five a week . If not, go back up to daily. You need what you need. (I can manage on five now, plus Ovestin externally every other night, but it took maybe three years to get to this stage.)
JP x

Jules

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 09:24:48 PM »

Do you mind me asking your age? I cant imagine my doctor prescribingit for that long.
I would go back to daily, and when you are comfortable again drop to six a week and see how you feel. If still OK after a couple of weeks on six, see if you can manage with five a week . If not, go back up to daily. You need what you need. (I can manage on five now, plus Ovestin externally every other night, but it took maybe three years to get to this stage.)
JP x

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 10:10:25 PM »

Do you mind me asking your age? I cant imagine my doctor prescribingit for that long.
JP x
Vagifem isn't a short term treatment. You are likely to need it for life. I am 59 and have been taking it for about 4 years now. At one stage I needed 5 a week but now only about twice.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 10:39:45 PM »

Not at all Jules. I'm 73 and on 5 Vagifem a week and Ovestin externally every other night.
JP x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 07:58:56 AM »

....and as a reminder there used to be two doses, 10 mcg and 25 mcg - some women needed the 25 mcg (daily for two weeks and then twice weekly) - so 5 x 10 mcg per week is equivalent to the latter maintenance dose. The studies did not show that ALL women were fine on 10 mcg - but a significant proportion were, so they  got rid of the higher dose, Hard luck on the women who needed more! Hopefully enlightened GPs will prescribe the increase. I was on 25 mcg and when that dose stopped my GP automatically put me onto the equivalent dose of 10 mcg - though now I actually only have it twice weekly.

Hurdity x

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 10:06:13 AM »

Age is not a factor when it comes to Vaginal Atrophy.  My doctor had no hesitation in prescribing daily treatment of Vagifem and Ovestin when the twice weekly dose was ineffective for my chronic VA.
I hope in the future, like other ladies have commented, I will be able to reduce the dose but after nearly a year I definitely need to keep up with the daily treatment which will be for life.

Any woman who has a problem with getting daily treatment if they need it, I would advise searching for Vaginal Atrophy on this forum and print off some of the comments to show medical professionals what other women are being prescribed, some doctors appreciate this as some are unaware of how chronic this condition is. Also, the leaflet in the pack is of no help at all, it's so out of date regarding dosage and side effects.

Vicky61

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 03:51:08 PM »

I have asked my doctor if I can increase my dosage and the most she will do is 3 times a week.  I guess some doctors are hesitant to increase the dosage as Vagifem instructions say its a twice weekly regimen and she mentioned an increased risk of blood clots.  I will do the daily dose for 2 weeks then go to every other day and try this for a couple of months and see if my bladder issues improve. 

Ayesha

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 03:59:42 PM »

Your doctor is way out of date, Vagifem is very safe and the reason you can now buy it over the counter under the name Gina.
The leaflet is out of date, it needs modifying.

Jules

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 09:12:28 PM »

My doctor prescribes 8 weeks worth at a time. Im 64. Managed ok up to last year. Just had a prophylactic antibiotic from being around 61 as my issues are around sex, I'm ok without that! Obviously things are worsening as i age. I suddenly feel old, feel my age😏. 
JP x
Vagifem isn't a short term treatment. You are likely to need it for life. I am 59 and have been taking it for about 4 years now. At one stage I needed 5 a week but now only about twice.