Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New to HRT and need help please.  (Read 843 times)

CelesteM

New to HRT and need help please.
« on: September 22, 2022, 09:50:24 PM »

Hi, I am new to HRT and to this forum. I really need some advice as my regular GP has referred me to a menopause GP but my appt is 2 months away. I’ve been on ESTRALIS 50/140 conti patch for 11 days but since day 7 I’ve had a constant heavy period. I’m 17months since my last period . I finally took the patch off last night as I couldn’t stand the bleeding. Should I be using the patch with the higher progestogen dose, the 50/250? The government health website says:
The patches come in two strengths. You will usually start
with the Estalis Continuous 50/250 patch. Your doctor will
check your progress and may change to the lower
strength 50/140 patch.
I’ve made an appointment to see my regular GP for tomorrow however last time I questioned the type of hrt she prescribed she seemed reluctant to advise me and just referred me to a menopause clinic. Thank you everyone  :)

Dandelion

Re: New to HRT and need help please.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 05:18:32 AM »

Hi, I am new to HRT and to this forum. I really need some advice as my regular GP has referred me to a menopause GP but my appt is 2 months away. I’ve been on ESTRALIS 50/140 conti patch for 11 days but since day 7 I’ve had a constant heavy period. I’m 17months since my last period . I finally took the patch off last night as I couldn’t stand the bleeding. Should I be using the patch with the higher progestogen dose, the 50/250? The government health website says:
The patches come in two strengths. You will usually start
with the Estalis Continuous 50/250 patch. Your doctor will
check your progress and may change to the lower
strength 50/140 patch.
I’ve made an appointment to see my regular GP for tomorrow however last time I questioned the type of hrt she prescribed she seemed reluctant to advise me and just referred me to a menopause clinic. Thank you everyone  :)
Hello
I had to have a quick google on Estalis as I never heard of it before.
I see it contains a synthetic progestin norethisterone.

Abnormal bleeding should be investigated, to rule out cancer, in the vast majority of cases, it is not cancer, they do like to check, however.
I have had trouble with bleeds.

I think it's excess oestrogen that can cause bleeds, but I am not 199% sure.
It's good you made an appointment with your regular GP, I am sorry that she seemed reluctant to advise you, before sending you to the menopause clinic.
I would hope she can put your mind at rest with the bleeding though, or refer you to a gynaecologist.

CelesteM

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 06:13:47 PM »

Thank you Dandelion. I think Estalis conti 50/140 is very similar to UK’s Evorel. Australia doesnt have that hrt brand on our PBS list only Estalis.
I had all my bloods, Pap smear and breast scan etc before my GP would let me start hrt, all normal. This is day 5 of this period and I’m really tired of it. Is there something they can prescribe stop the bleeding? I’ve been patch/hrt free now for 36hours.
Would like to return to hrt as I noticed a big improvement in my meno symptoms even after a few days of the patch! I’m seeing my GP later this morning. Thanks again  :)

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 10:23:12 PM »

Thank you Dandelion. I think Estalis conti 50/140 is very similar to UK’s Evorel. Australia doesnt have that hrt brand on our PBS list only Estalis.
I had all my bloods, Pap smear and breast scan etc before my GP would let me start hrt, all normal. This is day 5 of this period and I’m really tired of it. Is there something they can prescribe stop the bleeding? I’ve been patch/hrt free now for 36hours.
Would like to return to hrt as I noticed a big improvement in my meno symptoms even after a few days of the patch! I’m seeing my GP later this morning. Thanks again  :)
I think there is something they can prescribe to stop bleeding, but please don't quote me as I am not sure of my facts.
I think there is a drug called something like tranxemic acid (correct me if I am wrong)
I would try to see a doctor. Sorry I can't be much help.

CelesteM

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 11:45:22 PM »

Thanks again for your advice Dandelion! My GP has prescribed me the Estalis continuous patch with the stronger amount of progesterone, 50/250. She said bleeding on the contiguous patch was very normal at first and should settle down and if my period doesn’t stop after two weeks to come and see her. I’m glad to go back on the patch as it was really helping a lot of my symptoms. I’ll see how I go on this one!  :D

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 08:43:23 PM »

Thanks again for your advice Dandelion! My GP has prescribed me the Estalis continuous patch with the stronger amount of progesterone, 50/250. She said bleeding on the contiguous patch was very normal at first and should settle down and if my period doesn’t stop after two weeks to come and see her. I’m glad to go back on the patch as it was really helping a lot of my symptoms. I’ll see how I go on this one!  :D

Best of luck