Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 1384 times)

Humblebumble

• First Flush
« on: October 05, 2022, 09:46:28 AM »

Hi. I’m 42, new here and unsure if I’m in peri menopause or just going slowly to pot.
It started with a panic attack driving (I now only drive very locally, having driven very happily for many years), and then came brain fog. My periods started coming every three weeks. My mood declined with depression and anxiety symptoms. My skin is dry as a biscuit. My mouth is dry. I have a lump in my throat. My mouth is super sensitive and my tongue feels puffy and swollen. My sleep is disturbed. I have pelvic prolapse and my shoulder keeps getting injured. My libido is pretty much non existent.
I’ve been referred to neurology, dermatology, cardiology, physio therapy, offered anti anxiety meds, and have developed a fear of food since the tongue swelling (despite no sign of it being a food allergy and no response to triple dose antihistamine).
I’m hoping in joining this forum I can hear other women’s journeys and find out if this is all in my head or there are other people out there with the same symptoms.

Flossieteacake

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 10:34:18 AM »

Hello Humblebumble and welcome to the forum.

The symptoms you are having are all common in menopause. It is reassuring you have had tests to rule out anything else. I would suspect the dryness is low oestrogen. It sounds like you would benefit from HRT.

I can understand your anxiety and thinking you are 'going to pot' because so many of us have no idea what to look out for in menopause and often GPs will not think of this when we describe common menopause symptoms.

You are not alone and you will find much support on here. :)

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 02:54:09 PM »

Hello and welcome
I agree with Flossie,you sound exactly as I did when I first joined this forum, I hadn't a clue about meno symptoms and thought I was going crazy. I had awful adrenaline surges to start with,this feels like severe butterflies in the stomach,which led to panic and anxiety,just knowing you are not alone can help a lot  :)

Humblebumble

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 05:33:07 PM »

Thanks. It’s amazing to find a place full of other people to help you feel less alone in all this.  :)

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »

Don't let your symptoms run on though,you DO NOT have to feel as bad as you do,I'm not on HRT and it has been a struggle to say the least but if you're happy taking it,I'd push your Dr for it

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 07:12:16 PM »

hi humblebumble

im post meno and started taking hrt in august and im glad i did.

im not saying everythings great now but things are going in the right direction.and thankfully i have a great gp.

i still struggle with anxiety insomnia etc but this forum has been amazing xxx

Humblebumble

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 06:56:36 AM »

Thank you everyone. I’ve got hrt but am too scared to take it, in case it’s not peri and I make whatever is wrong with me worse. I know that’s ridiculous, but my anxiety has my head in a spin.

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 07:22:34 AM »

Hi Humblebumble,

I'm no expert however, peri can start anywhere between 40 to 44, so your age is right to start peri.

For me when I was in peri, my periods were erratic, I'd miss a period one month and be really heavy or really light the next time I had a period. I actually kept a period diary. I got hot flushes etc, then I noticed I was need to pee more.

have you had a chat with your gp about this? I know some gp's are clueless but your gp may be okay, mine is really fantastic.

I hope you get sorted, I'm post meno and the main reason i started hrt was to help my sleep and anxiety and I'm so glad I started hrt. It isn't a magic bullet but I'm glad I made that decision, however, we are all at different stages in our menopause journey xxx

GillBB

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 07:53:25 AM »

Hi humble bumble,
I have, over the past 15 years experienced every single one of the symptoms that you mentioned. Never once did a medic mention it may be peri or menopause! I also had loads of tests at different hospital departments. Only when more recently a few items appeared on TV and magazines did I join up all the dots and at the age of almost 62 insisted on trying some HRT. It’s not perfect but a lot of my symptoms have drastically improved!! My advice would be to try the HRT that you have, for three months, if it helps then great, if it doesn’t, you’ve lost nothing. My world has become a lot narrower than it could have been, the driving anxiety being the worst and I’m still only happy to drive short local trips, it maybe easier for you to turn things round if you try and address things sooner rather than later.
Good Luck. X

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 08:03:08 AM »

I agree, I wish I'd taken hrt ,the crippling anxiety still gets me even now at 59 and to top it all,I've just been told I'm borderline osteoporosis, I may consider hrt to help with this. I understand your worry, I really do,it can only be your choice though,can you put up with all these symptoms? They may pass quickly or you could have them for years,we are all different,if it doesn't suit you then just stop it,or try a different kind of hrt

Humblebumble

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 08:08:32 AM »

This forum is amazing. Thank you so much for all taking the time to tell me how things have been for you.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 08:37:14 AM »

This forum is amazing. Thank you so much for all taking the time to tell me how things have been for you.

I can understand how scary it can be to try HRT but you have nothing to loose. If you do not like it then you can always stop it.