Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Testosterone questions  (Read 1147 times)

Dandelion

Testosterone questions
« on: September 20, 2022, 10:40:58 PM »

Despite being on HRT for 9yrs, progesterone and oestrogen, I have not used testosterone.

I see many on here use it.

I have never got rid of the menopause anxiety and depression, despite getting rid of flushes, IBS etc.
I blamed my anxiety and depression on the potential devastating consequences of bad property choices potentially devastating myself and others' lives.

Maybe hormonal anxiety is making me view my life circumstances negatively.
What reasons can I give my GP for wanting testosterone?
Is it a hassle to get? as in, my other two hormones were a hassle to get off the doctors for some unknown reason.

PS I take Avena Sativa for anxiety made from oats, and that is supposed to boost testosterone.

florriepeck

Re: Testosterone questions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 07:07:34 AM »

Dandelion, I’ve read on various menopause forums that loss of libido is the symptom to claim to GP, even if it’s not particularly the case, as they’re likely to prescribe for that reason.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 04:06:47 PM »

How is your libido? As a general rule of thumb if it's OK you may not need T and it might be an idea to have a blood test first to confirm levels. You usually need a referral to a meno clinic to get it. My libido was zero, I found it helped with motivation, muscle strength and libido but it may be that your anxiety and depression won't be cured by it as there are other causes for both. My anxiety went with oestrogen.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 06:07:38 PM »

Hello ladies.

My last period was on 2010 and I began taking HRT in 2013. I was never offered testosterone until I became a patient of Newson Health in 2019. The doctor I saw was keen for me to try it as she believed it was the missing ingredient from my regime. I had to get my Oestrogen up to a particular level but once there I was prescribed Androfeme which is a testosterone product designed for females but not available on the NHS.

I was told that I would notice a difference after six weeks but when this didn't happen I was told to keep going and expect improvements after another six weeks.

Unfortunately I never did notice much difference and although my libido improved a little I also became easily irritated and angry.
I used the cream on my thighs which became quite hairy.

Due to breast tenderness and bleeding I have now reduced my Oestrogen and progesterone and stopped using testosterone altogether.

I know that some women have great success with T and that we are all different but  I am concentrating on trying to balance oestrogen and prog and so far I feel no worse for eliminating testosterone.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Marchlove

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 06:49:51 PM »

I had the same issue with testosterone Kathleen in that I got extremely angry and irritable.
But muscle aches and energy improved.

So now I take very low dose Dhea instead (5mg oral). My testosterone levels have stabilised somewhat and I now only  get mildly irritated.
Energy has stayed good.

Mx

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 09:16:12 PM »

Dandelion, I’ve read on various menopause forums that loss of libido is the symptom to claim to GP, even if it’s not particularly the case, as they’re likely to prescribe for that reason.
Thanks I am single right now.
I was seeing a man last year and libido seemed high.
Thanks for the advice.
Can testosterone cause maleness like body hair etc?
Sorry if that's a silly question.

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 09:23:00 PM »

How is your libido? As a general rule of thumb if it's OK you may not need T and it might be an idea to have a blood test first to confirm levels. You usually need a referral to a meno clinic to get it. My libido was zero, I found it helped with motivation, muscle strength and libido but it may be that your anxiety and depression won't be cured by it as there are other causes for both. My anxiety went with oestrogen.
OK I think.
I am single now, not quite over the man I was seeing last year, I still feel sexually attracted to him, no chance of getting together with him, but the remaining sexual feelings tell me my libido is ok.

We have no meno clinic here, just the hospital Gynaecology unit.

My motivation is terrible.
On a morning I need time to do stuff, yet I need a horse to drag me out of bed, and waste time due to lack of motivation. I put that down to serious property worries, but I might be viewing them as worse than they are, when hormones are to blame.

Getting a GP appointment is a pain, you have to ring dead on 8am and the lines are jammed, fearing all appts gone, as I am autistic, they try to give me one same GP, as I can't stand the hassle of repeating myself to the huge amounts of doctors there.

What's causing my anxiety?
I reduced to 25mcg oestrogen last year due to bleeds.
I put "feeling-left-out" socially down to my BPD/EUPD, when it was my ex, deliberately excluding me - as in, not paranoia, real negativity from him and me just using paranoia as an excuse.
I can't tell if some of my problems are fake, and down to anxiety or real, as there seems evidence for some, I won't list them as that will go off at a tangent, and we talk about hormones here.
I don't think my GP will like me going back up to 50mcg oestrogen as I bled on that.
Maybe I could ask if I can use 1 and 1/2 patches, or do it anyway without permission, I do still get discharge.

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 09:27:42 PM »

Hello ladies.

My last period was on 2010 and I began taking HRT in 2013. I was never offered testosterone until I became a patient of Newson Health in 2019. The doctor I saw was keen for me to try it as she believed it was the missing ingredient from my regime. I had to get my Oestrogen up to a particular level but once there I was prescribed Androfeme which is a testosterone product designed for females but not available on the NHS.

I was told that I would notice a difference after six weeks but when this didn't happen I was told to keep going and expect improvements after another six weeks.

Unfortunately I never did notice much difference and although my libido improved a little I also became easily irritated and angry.
I used the cream on my thighs which became quite hairy.

Due to breast tenderness and bleeding I have now reduced my Oestrogen and progesterone and stopped using testosterone altogether.

I know that some women have great success with T and that we are all different but  I am concentrating on trying to balance oestrogen and prog and so far I feel no worse for eliminating testosterone.

Wishing everyone well.

K.
I googled Newson Health - sounds private, is it?
I am NHS, I need my money for my flat, although it sounds like they tailor HRT for each woman individually, rather than the one-size-fits-all by the NHS.

What was the reason your doctor believed that testosterone was the missing ingredient from my regime?

I don't like the sound of increased irritation and angry.
I don't like the idea of increased body hair either.
I shave my lower legs.

We are all so different aren't we.
The Americans seem to tailor HRT for each individual.
Thanks for your post.

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:34:57 PM »

I had the same issue with testosterone Kathleen in that I got extremely angry and irritable.
But muscle aches and energy improved.

So now I take very low dose Dhea instead (5mg oral). My testosterone levels have stabilised somewhat and I now only  get mildly irritated.
Energy has stayed good.

Mx
The "angry and irritable" bit puts me off, as I feel "pi$$ed off" chronically, - dunno if it's real circumstance or hormone, as my peri started around the time these real-life-non meno problems came to my awareness.

I've hear of DHEA.
I take a stack of nootropics, there is excellent nootropics advice on reddit subs.
I might ask about DHEA before just taking it.
Yeah, the angry and irritable deffo put me off testosterone, and the extra hair.

florriepeck

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 06:05:15 PM »

I’ve had no side effects. The gel is to replenish low levels and raise to a normal level, not to give an abnormal dose. 

Dandelion

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 06:24:32 PM »

I’ve had no side effects. The gel is to replenish low levels and raise to a normal level, not to give an abnormal dose.
I am now put off testosterone as I am irritable enough, and some women report irritability.