Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello from a Newbie  (Read 949 times)

Jools23

• First Flush
Hello from a Newbie
« on: September 21, 2022, 08:05:51 AM »

Hello,
I am not currently on HRT but the Dr suggested this site as a way to get more info. Since reading this I am realising how many symptoms I actually have.  My physical symptoms are not so bad, but the anxieties, concentration (or lack of), forgetfulness, no motivation (the list goes on) are really bad and it has only been recently realised that they can be menopause symptoms.
I am due to go back to talk  to the Dr about starting HRT, but don't know what's best: tablets, patches, implants....what has your experience been?  TIA

Flossieteacake

Re: Hello from a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 08:26:47 AM »

Hello Jools23. Welcome to the forum. It is great your DR knows about this forum. With HRT it is such a personal thing as we all react differently to them. Some people are happy on patches and others are happy on gel. If it were me I would start as slowly on as low a dose as possible just to see how you feel. Maybe trying a 25 oestrogen patch just to see if you can tolerate that. If you have a womb then you will need progesterone but this can be more tricky to find one that suits. If you try the low dose oestrogen patch at least you will know if you can tolerate that.

I would ask for something for vaginal atrophy as that is something that takes a while to treat. Ovestin or Vagirux are the main ones. Ovestin is a cream and Vagiriux is a pessary.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello from a Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 08:46:54 AM »

Morning.

Don't go for implants initially.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart symptoms.  Making sure that we have a good diet, keep hydrated and do as much exercise as we can be bothered with will help (note to self  ::) )

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out; hair, scalp, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina, skin as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Vaginal atrophy often presents as repeated urine infection-type symptoms; the need to pee, a dragging feeling in the belly and GPs don't often recognise it.  So a fresh urine sample should be sent to a Lab to see if there is an infection, if not, appropriate treatment can be prescribed. The idea is to use it vaginally for 2-3 weeks to plump up vaginal tissues and lessen any ithyness.

Let us know how. you get on!