Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Have a HRT phone appointment with nurse tomorrow and feeling overwhelmed  (Read 1242 times)

Klt

Did see the nurse in person but I hadn’t been booked for a double appointment which is what’s required so we’re continuing by phone in the morning

Nurse took my height etc and we started talking about HRT briefly and she asked me to read up on the Mirena coil as a HRT option because I mentioned that I tried one month of Femoston 1/10 2 years ago and hated the progesterone part and as we were in lockdown 1 I just gave up until now
But I’m obvs in worse shape now at 48 than I was over 2 years ago

I’ve been on a slippery slope for 9 years
My main complaints now are ;

Low mood
Joint pain
Bladder pressure hate feeling like I need a wee all the time
Vaginal dryness
IBS and constipation
Anxiety
Zero libido
Insomnia
Hot flushes just in the last weeks

I’ve probably forgotten some but you get the picture

Now that I’ve read on here about the Mirena coil I’m not opposed to trying it I think ??!!, she also mentioned that it’s a cheaper way of doing things prescription wise but Im not sure if it’s the first thing to try or if I should try the available sequi tablets first as they’re easier to swop and change once once you’ve given them enough settling time but you’re not getting on with them and try Mirena last I’m just thinking how difficult it may be to get suitable appointments at hospital family planning I know that’s where I’d have to go but no idea how their appointment system works

Ps can they put one in if they give you an appointment and you’re on your period? I’d prefer to avoid that like the plague but for the last year or so my cycles are all over the place

Sorry this was so long

Flossieteacake

Re: Have a HRT phone appointment with nurse tomorrow and feeling overwhelmed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 05:57:50 PM »

Hello klt. I totally understand how overwhelming this is. I personally would try something else before the Mirena. The reason is, you said you felt unwell on another progesterone. It can take time to find the right progesterone and if you try the Mirena and it makes you feel bad it is not so easy to remove it. This is what I would do personally and I am sure others will have different ideas.

With the vaginal dryness and bladder pressure, this is likely to be vaginal atrophy. This can be treated with a cream or pessary or even both. You may like to start with Ovestin cream and see how it goes. Many women use both Ovestin and Vagifem. I would also buy a vaginal moisturiser. I like Yes but Sylk is another option too. The nurse will likely tell you to use VA treatment daily for 2 weeks and then drop it to twice a week. I ignore this and use daily as it can be so hard to get the symptoms under control. There is a thread on here called 'the burning club' which is were members often discuss VA and you can find tips on there.

Your symptoms are classic for menopause and should hopefully be sorted out once you get the right HRT.

Klt

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 07:18:51 AM »

I agree between the bladder issues and the vaginal dryness I’m not eager to have the Mirena inserted but it’s not off the table if I exhaust alternatives

I’m also getting bald patches with side of forehead and generally thinning how could I forget that joy !!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 07:20:18 AM »

It is good you have made a list of your symptoms as it will mean you can give the list at your appointment. I hope it goes well for you.

Nicodemus

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 08:36:44 AM »

I think they would fit a Mirena at your doctor's surgery rather than family planning clinic unless you have been told differently. It can be fitted at any point in the cycle as long as you're not pregnant. I don't have one myself so can't comment further but I understand your reluctance to have one given you are dry - probably best to discuss at your appointment.

I hope it goes well.

Klt

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 03:54:09 PM »

I had the phone call the nurse was lovely and understood where I was coming from so I’ve started with the Elleste duet tablets and not sure if it’ll be worth it but I’ve noted down all my symptoms and given them a score out of 5 ie fine to dreadful so I can do the same in 3 months I’m hoping it’ll help the review appointment be as constructive as possible who knows??!!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 05:48:39 PM »

I think that is a really clever idea of yours. It will help when it comes to reviewing how you feel in a few months time. I am so pleased the nurse was nice and your appointment went well.