Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Topical oestrogen for the vagina  (Read 645 times)

suey43

Topical oestrogen for the vagina
« on: September 20, 2022, 02:24:57 PM »

Hello, my gynaecologist recently recommended that I start topical oestrogen in my vagina. I didn't get to speak to my GP they just sent a prescription to the pharmacy. They have prescribed Oestrogel 750mg which seems to be for standard HRT treatment rather than topical vaginal use? Does anyone know if this is right or not? I'm already on HRT (Patches and have Mirena coil) and have had 2 endometrial cancer scares with thickened lining so really don't want to take more estrogen than necessary!  Thanks for any advice.

Flossieteacake

Re: Topical oestrogen for the vagina
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 02:33:22 PM »

I have not heard of this and just looked it up. I do not think you are meant to have this with patches too. It is a bit confusing as to why you have been given it.

The usual treatment for vaginal atrophy is Ovestin and Vagirux.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 02:35:08 PM by Flossieteacake »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 02:39:38 PM »

Hi! ring the GP Surgery to remind them what you are already on, then ask for either 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' - the idea being to use it nightly for 2-3 weeks then as necessary : usually every few nights.

Sometimes GP writing is hard to read  >:(

Amazing grace

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 02:46:02 PM »

That's definitely not right, in the pil that's comes with it it states not to use in or around the vagina, I'd imagine it would burn insanely if you put it there as its an alcohol base, I'm sure there's a mix up and they meant ovestin cream or one of the other vaginal estrogens , definitely don't put oestrogel there x